OTD price for G80 with or without pkg

Prospective G80 Owner

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Ouch? This is really good to know. The dealer in Milwaukee is only 37 miles away and they are the largest Hyundai dealer in WI but will they become a Genesis dealer? And if I don't purchase a car from them because they are too high priced and I can get a much better deal in say South Carolina can I take a car there that I purchased out of state? Or use their concierge service? Or more importantly would I even want to?
One thing is for sure you can have your service done at an oil exchange for the type of savings I see at the SC dealer. So the only issue would be warranty service.
Of course, you can use their service. Why would their service department care where you purchased the car?

Try to think this through logically. Do you actually believe that if someone buys a car from their home dealer and then moves across the country for work or any other reason, that they then couldn't get their car serviced at the dealer in their new city/state? It would be preposterous to think that would be true. That would mean that anyone who purchases or leases a car would be contractually required to remain in their current location and not be permitted to relocate under penalty of not being able to have their car serviced.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Hasn't posted much yet...
Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Of course, you can use their service. Why would their service department care where you purchased the car?

Try to think this through logically. Do you actually believe that if someone buys a car from their home dealer and then moves across the country for work or any other reason, that they then couldn't get their car serviced at the dealer in their new city/state? It would be preposterous to think that would be true. That would mean that anyone who purchases or leases a car would be contractually required to remain in their current location and not be permitted to relocate under penalty of not being able to have their car serviced.

Absolutely ridiculous.
It's actually not but your highly charged opinion is noted.

jdavis

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I have bought from distant dealers many times with only one issue which was resolved quickly with a call to the manfacturer’s representative. Your local dealer is obligated to service the car and most welcome the business. In fact, my 2018 G80 was not purchased at the local dealer and they gladly service it. Have no fear.

cappuccinoman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have bought from distant dealers many times with only one issue which was resolved quickly with a call to the manfacturer’s representative. Your local dealer is obligated to service the car and most welcome the business. In fact, my 2018 G80 was not purchased at the local dealer and they gladly service it. Have no fear.
You are completely correct. I also never had a problem.

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
2018 G80 Sport 3.3t RWD, used w/ 16k miles

$47k OTD (skipped warranties and etc, also ~10% taxes where I'm at)

Overall not bad, considering the features and maintenance costs! And that's in California where you can't buy new, yet. I keep bringing my old car up, but I would have paid $11k in repair/maintenance over the short 1.75yr duration of having it, or $15k if you include what my warranty paid to fix as well (and that car was closer to $54k OTD w/ 38k miles on it starting out, heh).

g_954575

That is not correct from the information members here have received from Genesis. Starting with the 2019 models only Genesis dealers can do warranty and prepaid maintenance.

For example:

Speaking of this...I can confirm. I actually made a phone call to Corporate today...as I might be in a situation like this.

Genesis cars 2019+ can ONLY be serviced by a Genesis dealer. No if's and's or but's.

The Concierge Service is good for a 50 mile radius. After that...they will still do it...but it will take a lot longer. If you are within the radius...you have like a 2 day lead time. Otherwise...it could be 1.5 to 2 weeks.

Warranty work out of 'Dealership' area
I call this not legal per: Auto Warranties & Routine Maintenance. Also, I think California has even stricter laws preventing this.

BrainDoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Does anyone know what the lease cash is on 2018 g80 sport awd is this month? They had 6000 in lease cash until 12/3,im assuming it went up to clear the large amount of left over 2018 inventory?

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Does anyone know what the lease cash is on 2018 g80 sport awd is this month? They had 6000 in lease cash until 12/3,im assuming it went up to clear the large amount of left over 2018 inventory?
Looks like it is up to $6,200 but it seems like the MF rose a bit.

Edmunds 2018 G80

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Looks like it is up to $6,200 but it seems like the MF rose a bit.

Edmunds 2018 G80
Then again, I saw another post on there where it said $6,200 in November. Also the MF may have went down a bit after looking at some more posts.

Edit: It appears the lease cash was different in November depending on AWD/RWD. Assuming AWD then my original post seems to be correct - The lease cash is up to $6,200 and the MF rose a bit to .00121.

Attachments

Last edited:

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have another question. My understanding is that the MF is interest on the lease? If that is true does that go away if you have a one pay lease. In other words If I pay the entire lease off when I pick up the car do I still pay MF? I am also going to ask this on Edmonds.

mgg

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have another question. My understanding is that the MF is interest on the lease? If that is true does that go away if you have a one pay lease. In other words If I pay the entire lease off when I pick up the car do I still pay MF? I am also going to ask this on Edmonds
One pay leases are calculated a little differently (less interest usually) and I don't know if Genesis offers one or not. You can just make all of your payments at once but I'm not sure there is an advantage to doing that and I would imagine it is not recommended. Why do you want to do that?

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I know they will do it as both dealers I have talked to said they would give me a 1 pay lease as my trade in is worth $20,000. The first dealer was willing to give me a one pay lease 36/10 for my car with a hefty payment to purchase the car at the end. I did not know anything about leases at that time so I walked. I have since calculated that I drive 15000 miles per year and that is what I asked for from the second dealer I talked to. He was willing to give me a one pay lease where he took my car and $5001 for a 36/1500 and the payment at the end was 5000 less. Either way the car would have cost me about the same to purchase which was about $59,995 minus the $6000 lease money. So I am assuming there was no interest because when I added the money up it came out to the base price of the lease.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
No, there is an interest charge for one pay leases but usually it is less than the normal MF. It is generally recommended to not put anything down on a lease, some info in the link below.

What you may want to look at is selling yours rather than doing the trade in. I recommended Vroom to Beefer and they gave him a very good price. Some people are happy with what CarMax gave them also.

A lot also depends on your plan for the car. If you intend on keeping it for more years than the lease then go the route of negotiating the best price (no need to mention whether you are going to lease or not). Once you have that price then look at the incentives for leasing. If it makes sense then maybe you lease, take the lease cash and then buyout the lease if you have alternative financing that makes it worthwhile. Could be that using the manufacturers financing and buying it immediately is the best route. Without knowing actual numbers it is hard to make that decision.

Whether you are buying or leasing, it should have nothing to do with the price of the car. If the dealer asks you what you plan on doing, a simple "I'm not at that stage yet" should suffice. Once you get to a price you are comfortable with then you can look at how to pay for it, buy right away, lease, lease and then buy or buyout lease.

Should You Make a Down Payment When You Lease? | Edmunds

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks TurtleBoy. That is what I was thinking. I just got a price of $54,000 before tax & title or $57,136 OTD with all fees and taxes on a 2018 Sport AWD. So I am asking the dealer if he will give me the same price on a lease to purchase with the $6200 lease cash. That is a little over $3000 off the list price of the car and with the lease money this is a deal I think I can live with. Should be about $50,936 total price. And CarMax offered me $20,000 for my car 3 weeks ago and sent me an email yesterday stating that they would still like to buy it. So that deal is set. Of course if the dealer will give me 19,500 for it, it will save me $1049 in taxes so it is even a better deal at $50,400 total cost. I will here from the dealer tomorrow. We are doing this all through email. So if it does not work out I haven't wasted my time in the dealership. If they go for it I will likely purchase the car. We will see. ( I still got to drive it, try stuff, and look it over before I purchase.) It is listed as new with 59 miles. If this does not happen I will likely wait until spring and purchase a 2019. Which is kinda what I am expecting to happen.
mgg

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The example they give of a lease in that article with low down payment has a money factor of .00015 or .36% APR. The Genesis lease MF is .00121 to .00164 which is 10 times higher. When I put .00154 in the lease calculator it came out to 3.7% and the lease payment went up $113 per month more when I put in zero. That is $4000 over 3 years which I would rather keep in my pocket. If I sub in .00015 the price comes down 103 per month. Even if I put in .00121 it is 2.9% APR and $75 per month or 2,700 over 36 months. I don't know where they got the .00015 number but if it were that low they would be correct the payment only goes up $11 per month and maybe you would not want to pay up front. However that does not seem to be the case with Genesis.

Last edited:

Prospective G80 Owner

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
You are completely correct. I also never had a problem.
Exactly. The whole concept of a local dealer not being willing to service a vehicle purchased at another location is preposterous.

BrainDoc

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I have
Exactly. The whole concept of a local dealer not being willing to service a vehicle purchased at another location is preposterous.
I have never had a dealership tell me they would never service a vehicle of mine when I purchased it from another dealership. If it is under warranty the manufacturer requires the dealerships regardless of its initial purchase location to service it.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
The example they give of a lease in that article with low down payment has a money factor of .00015 or .36% APR. The Genesis lease MF is .00121 to .00164 which is 10 times higher. When I put .00154 in the lease calculator it came out to 3.7% and the lease payment went up $113 per month over when I put in zero. That is $4000 over 3 years which I would rather keep in my pocket. If I sub in .00015 the price comes down 103 per month. Even if I put in .00121 it is 2.9% APR and $75 per month or 2,700 over 36 months. I don't know where they got the .00015 number but if it were that low they would be correct the payment only goes up $11 per month and maybe you would not want to pay up front. However that does not seem to be the case with Genesis.
Like anything you have to look at the numbers. Most people recommend not to put money down for a number of reasons including potential loss should the car be totaled/stolen. The leasing company will be reimbursed for the loss but you won't. Like everything we have talked about, there is no one best way to do it. There are many factors an each person must look at their situation to make a decision.

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Like anything you have to look at the numbers. Most people recommend not to put money down for a number of reasons including potential loss should the car be totaled/stolen. The leasing company will be reimbursed for the loss but you won't. Like everything we have talked about, there is no one best way to do it. There are many factors an each person must look at their situation to make a decision.
There are many factors and I appreciate all input as I have never even thought of leasing a car before. I always thought it was a bad deal. So now I am learning about leasing for the first time and find that it is interesting. Leasing seams to have become more competitive than it was 20 or 30 years ago as so many people are doing it. But you really have to watch the numbers and understand what they are or you can get yourself into trouble for sure.

david2u

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Good call.
I was paying 388.00 for a 2016 3.8 AWD, 15K per year, wheel and tire package. This was a sign and drive deal, all taxes and fees included.
Car got totaled end of September and when I went back to look for another one, it was 585.00, plus tax.
Walked out and went to BMW and Mercedes.
Decided on the Mercedes and very happy.
Hyundai service was a joke.
At 600.00 a month, those car will ferment on the lot.
If that’s their new pricing plan, Genesis will have a ton of inventory sitting on the lots.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.