OTD price for G80 with or without pkg

bs0755

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
New member here, and I am trying to get up to speed...

I just started looking for a new vehicle, and the G80 was on my shortlist. I could not figure out why there is nothing in stock at the local Hyundai dealers, so I came here to research. It appears as though I picked the wrong year to find (much less get a good December deal) a base G80...

dadgonebroke

Hasn't posted much yet...
Nature Coast of Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
I not a pro here but I've been looking too. From what I can tell, most '18's still on dealer's lots are loaner or exec cars- all with miles on them. The '19's are on their way and some dealers have some but Genesis is trying to separate from Hyundai so there most likely will be fewer dealers- and they'll possibly be farther away.

bs0755

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I not a pro here but I've been looking too. From what I can tell, most '18's still on dealer's lots are loaner or exec cars- all with miles on them. The '19's are on their way and some dealers have some but Genesis is trying to separate from Hyundai so there most likely will be fewer dealers- and they'll possibly be farther away.
I did a search on cars.com and there appears to be some new 2018s available. However, they are mostly Hyundai dealers, and from what I can surmise, they don't necessarily have any desire to deal, because of the way they have been treated?

dadgonebroke

Nature Coast of Florida
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Coupe (2009-2016)
The '18's that my dealer has show double digit miles on them on Car Gurus but actually have anywhere from 2k to almost 5k miles- they just don't update the website.

Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I have been following this thread for a VERY long time and I like you guys, I thought that December would be a good time to get a deal. For the past 3 months I have been looking all across the country for a G80 Sport (in Las Vegas) and no luck whatsoever! And you are right about the exec cars, they all have many miles on them. I even hired a auto broker and he couldn't find anything of worth. The same stock has been on everyone's lot for the most part. Anyway, this past Friday I randomly see a 2019 G80 Sport pop up at my local dealer that didn't come up before. I called and had one of the nicest sales guys EVER at a dealership. They still had their 2018 G80 Sport, a 2018 5.0 and this 2019 G80 Sport. I said, ok, are these executive or demo cars and if so, how many miles are on them. He at the time said, they are all new. Sure...... Anyway, he said, I will go out and take pictures of all three vehicles and a picture of the mileage. Sweet! Still have a glimmer of hope but not much. He calls me back about an hour later before sending the pictures and says that despite what his internal system says, the 5.0 is a executive car and the 2018 has 600 miles on it. The 2019 G80 Sport, 27 miles! He took pictures of the 2019 with the mileage and it was accurate at 27 miles. He was audibly frustrated and even asked his bosses, why is it that our hard to find cars that people want to buy like the G80 Sport are being driven and then labeled executive cars? They really had no answer for him. At any rate, over the phone they offered MSRP pricing of $56K and said if I came down, they would work with me. My previous dealer encounter was a listed "new" car and they wanted 63K for a vehicle that had actual 3700 miles with visible wear inside! The sales guy at this current dealership told me that they don't get in another G80 until they sell the one on the lot and they don't even get to request a color(s). They just send it and the dealer takes whatever is sent to them. I don't know if that's true but it sure does seem appropriate given the frustration I went through and what many others of you are finding out. I am sure this will all change sometime in the new year but until all of the states get their "Genesis" franchise licenses, I don't think people are going to see much stock. I consider myself lucky that I paid $54K for an actual NEW G80 Sport. I know I didn't get the best deal but they knew the situation out there just as much as I did. Side note, the RWD 2019 comes standard with a heated steering wheel. Must be the small update to the 2019 vs 2018 where you could only get that with the AWD model.

Sorry for the long winded story but maybe it will help some of the prospective buyers out there. Oh... and here is Genny. Welcome home!

Attachments

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Did you get yours with the all-black interior? You got lucky? I feel like I got lucky then, b/c I got an '18 Sport for $43k (before taxes) in California where there aren't yet any dealerships. Granted, it had 16k miles so it wasn't exactly brand new (very little signs of wear, at least).

I got the two tone nappa leather interior (ivory + ebony) which is actually way nicer than I expected. I've always been a fan of the all-black interiors and have had strictly that ever since I've head cars with leather interiors (so >10+ years). The copper stitching is actually a nice touch too, since those tones integrate well with the copper colors around the headlights and on the wheel caps.

Attachments

Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Did you get yours with the all-black interior? You got lucky? I feel like I got lucky then, b/c I got an '18 Sport for $43k (before taxes) in California where there aren't yet any dealerships. Granted, it had 16k miles so it wasn't exactly brand new (very little signs of wear, at least).

I got the two tone nappa leather interior (ivory + ebony) which is actually way nicer than I expected. I've always been a fan of the all-black interiors and have had strictly that ever since I've head cars with leather interiors (so >10+ years). The copper stitching is actually a nice touch too, since those tones integrate well with the copper colors around the headlights and on the wheel caps.
I actually wanted that interior combo that you have but it seems that interior is hard to come by. The Grey/dark red interior seems to be everywhere. It’s growing on me especially with the copper stitching.

bthor

San Diego
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
New to me 2018 premium & ultra packages G80 3.8 13.5K on clock. Black/beige got tired of waiting for 19' in southern cal. Purchased from dealer in O.C. Would not honor written out the door price they gave me 1 day before I showed up. A lot of the negotiations were from the front seat of my car when I was leaving.
378. magic wax
80. doc processing
50. smog testing on an 2018??
2823. sales tax state
30. electronic vehicle registration
383. vehicle license fees - state
149. registration transfer - state
39,813 total - -
finance sold me platinum insurance that covers to 10years 100k miles for 5564-which I am currently cancelling so I didn't include it. I believed the finance guy, when he said relay & computer failure is very expensive in these cars.
Consumer reports also had a red mark by electronics in these cars. --------but my current tentative plan is to sell before 5 year warranty & get the new design change.

Anyone else have strong feelings regarding the extended warranty's on these cars??

I have received good info on this site & hope this post helps
someone.

Merry Christmas,
Bthor

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
^ Congratulations on your new ride! Merry Christmas, good luck, and enjoy.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

mgg

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@8675309 It looks like you got a decent deal on a 2019. Can you share what the total price with taxes and title and fees are? ( In other words Out the Door price.)
There is a dealer in Chicago offering the 19's however when I called them they said they are on the way. They really don't have them on the lot yet. As far as pricing they have $1500 first time buyer incentive and they say they will give you 110% of Kelly Blue Book for your trade they would not say much more than that over the phone. I did think it was strange that the dealer really wanted me to come in and make a deal on a car that they could order for me.
My Brother bought an Escalade 2 years ago and the dealer told him the only way they could get one in was if they had it sold. They told him he didn't have to accept it when it came in but it had to be sold for them to order it. (It was a special edition $115,000 car so maybe that was why as they may not have wanted to over produce them.)
I wonder if it is true that they have to sell what they have before they can order a new one. That really does not make sense to me.
Enjoy your ride!

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
@8675309 I wonder if it is true that they have to sell what they have before they can order a new one. That really does not make sense to me.
Enjoy your ride!
That is correct. They operate on a points system and they need to sell vehicles to get points in order to request specific models/trims in their allocations.

Prospective G80 Owner

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@8675309 It looks like you got a decent deal on a 2019. Can you share what the total price with taxes and title and fees are? ( In other words Out the Door price.)
There is a dealer in Chicago offering the 19's however when I called them they said they are on the way. They really don't have them on the lot yet!
I've never really understood why people are interested in the OTD price, including taxes, title and fees. Jenny posted that s/he paid $54k for the car. He paid, I believe 8.1.% in sales taxes and his registration fees are going to be exorbitant each and every year he owns the car because Nevada bases the cost of registration on the MSRP of the vehicle. When I lived in Las Vegas, I paid about $1,500 each year to register my Jaguar. (It goes down slightly each year due to a depreciation allowance.)

Living in Illinois, how will you be helped by knowing how much Jenny has paid in taxes and registration fees? What relevance would that have to you purchasing a car in Chicago?

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I've never really understood why people are interested in the OTD price, including taxes, title and fees. Jenny posted that s/he paid $54k for the car. He paid, I believe 8.1.% in sales taxes and his registration fees are going to be exorbitant each and every year he owns the car because Nevada bases the cost of registration on the MSRP of the vehicle. When I lived in Las Vegas, I paid about $1,500 each year to register my Jaguar. (It goes down slightly each year due to a depreciation allowance.)
I agree, OTD price is not very meaningful when comparing between states. I think the MSRP, discounts, any incentives and any fees are the most useful information.

Unfortunately Colorado is the same way, yearly specific ownership tax is based on MSRP. It is a pretty hefty fee until the depreciation starts kicking in. Of course on a lease that doesn't happen before you are getting a new one.

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I agree that OTD isn't relevant to anyone not in that particular area. Similar asking about insurance rates to a wide audience.

bthor

San Diego
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Its not that hard to file a complete precise report. Take what information there is & use it to the best of your advantage. The bottom line (OTD price) is always important (unless your a recent lotto winner).

Las Vegas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I agree, OTD price is not very meaningful when comparing between states. I think the MSRP, discounts, any incentives and any fees are the most useful information.

Unfortunately Colorado is the same way, yearly specific ownership tax is based on MSRP. It is a pretty hefty fee until the depreciation starts kicking in. Of course on a lease that doesn't happen before you are getting a new one.
You’re right. Despite the cost of living in Las Vegas being overall less expensive than CA (originally from), NV registration and insurance is ridiculous! At the dealership, I tried to do as much research as possible but lease numbers are clearly confusing as demonstrated by you folks that are far better at math than the rest of us. I even had my auto broker as a “phone a friend” option and then he was a no answer when I needed him. :/ Edmunds had the numbers in my area around $54K and invoice at $52K which was probably based on early 2018 data. I got my loan calculators out and even if I got the 52K, the numbers are not that significant over the lease term. They knew, that I knew the ground situation of the Sport models and they also knew they had me by the perverbial balls and I was glad to finally get an actual new one. They had it listed at $60,100 which included their additions like tinting, nitrogen tires (eye roll) and a couple of other items totaling $1,340. I told the finance guy that I didn’t need any of those additions. I agreed that I would do the deal with half that amount taken off. I wasn’t going to sit there all night over another $700 especially spread over the 36 months. It’s not like they had another five sport models on the lot. I don’t even think they had five 3.8’s let alone the Sports or 5.0’s. All that aside, the other non-tangible thing to consider is your general financial situation and just your current life situation. Anything in life that we “want” as a consumer, we consider price, convenience and hopefully customer service you receive. I equate it with something like going to restaurant that has the best whatever in town. You know you can get something similar somewhere else and probably less expensive. But, at the end of the day, you love what they are serving and they know you love it and you will end up paying for it. I guess the rub is that dealerships in general are so dirty that us buyers want to squeeze every less dollar out of them so we can “win” and I TOTALLY get that. I really do feel like I did win as I got them down off of their MSRP and got them to take off half of the dealer additions on an actual NEW car.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.