Over speed limit alert

TLeTourneau

SE MN
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hello all,

I am the new owner of a CPO 2016 Genesis 3.8 AWD with the Tech package. I am trying to find out if the car has an over speed limit alert function? My Mercedes C300 and Ram 1500 both have the ability to notify you if you are exceeding the speed limit by a set amount. In each of my other cars that is an available feature and the alert value is user configurable (5, 10 ,15 MPH over). It would be nice if the Genesis had similar functionality. I am running the latest infotainment/NAV software, I just upgraded it this last Sunday.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hello all,

I am the new owner of a CPO 2016 Genesis 3.8 AWD with the Tech package. I am trying to find out if the car has an over speed limit alert function? My Mercedes C300 and Ram 1500 both have the ability to notify you if you are exceeding the speed limit by a set amount. In each of my other cars that is an available feature and the alert value is user configurable (5, 10 ,15 MPH over). It would be nice if the Genesis had similar functionality. I am running the latest infotainment/NAV software, I just upgraded it this last Sunday.

Any pointers would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom
Yes very simple system. You look at the limit on the road signs, then you look at the speed indicated on the dashboard speedometer. If the number on the dashboard is higher than the number on the road signs, you say "oh shit, I better slow down"

No batteries need, nothing to set. Very reliable as longs as you look at times. Some drivers have a wife that takes over that duty. Reliable, but not as silent.

TLeTourneau

SE MN
Genesis Model Type
Yes very simple system. You look at the limit on the road signs, then you look at the speed indicated on the dashboard speedometer. If the number on the dashboard is higher than the number on the road signs, you say "oh shit, I better slow down"

No batteries need, nothing to set. Very reliable as longs as you look at times. Some drivers have a wife that takes over that duty. Reliable, but not as silent.
To each their own, some of us like technology and gadgets and try not to judge those that apparently don't.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
If I'm traveling over 1 mile I have such a habit of hitting the cruise control I don't even realize I do it. Keeps me from having to worry about the speed limit as much since I always set it 3-5 mph over every time, but I also don't travel on unfamiliar roads much so I know the limits. I do see the gadget factor in a speed limit warning indicator, though. We all make mistakes and get absent minded at times.

Seems the indicator would be handicapped if the car doesn't recognize the real speed limit, though. Not sure how that works and how accurate the source is.

TLeTourneau

SE MN
Genesis Model Type
If I'm traveling over 1 mile I have such a habit of hitting the cruise control I don't even realize I do it. Keeps me from having to worry about the speed limit as much since I always set it 3-5 mph over every time, but I also don't travel on unfamiliar roads much so I know the limits. I do see the gadget factor in a speed limit warning indicator, though. We all make mistakes and get absent minded at times.

Seems the indicator would be handicapped if the car doesn't recognize the real speed limit, though. Not sure how that works and how accurate the source is.
In the other cars I have that have it the speed limit comes from the NAV systems and if there's not speed limit known it just doesn't do a notification. It's sometimes fun when the speed limits have changed since the last NAV update. The newer Mercedes can actually read the speed limit signs on the road which is kind of cool.

jimbrown618

Halifax, NS Canada
Genesis Model Type

Mine does that too... :)

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

As a general rule, on an interstate road trip my 5.0 is so silent that my "wife alert" doesn't even look up from her book until around 90...

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
As a general rule, on an interstate road trip my 5.0 is so silent that my "wife alert" doesn't even look up from her book until around 90...
I was on a road trip last week and noticed it's very easy to comfortably do 90. Had someone ahead of me that I was piggybacking off of. Smooth and quiet.

I did have a 4-door Jeep Wrangler with 35" tires and a 3" lift before the Genesis. You and a passenger would have to have one of those setups that helicopter pilots use with helmets and mics to talk to each other if you wanted to do 90 mph. At least I think it would do 90...

daviderle

Registered Member
TLeTourneau, first welcome aboard to our little community...

This feature is available on the Genesis that is called ‘Safe Guard’ , however, it does require you to have the Connected services (aka bluelink) to be able to set it up using the Genesis App:
Hyundai Blue Link Launches Vehicle Safeguard Alerts In-Vehicle App On Refreshed 2015 Azera

Another free alternative, is to utilize Waze, where you can setup the speed limit in the app and leave it running in the background (if you wish). It will alert you (with a BING) regardless if you are connected using Bluetooth or CarPlay/AA using USB (Tech):

Get speed limit alerts - Waze Help

I find using this method, give me additional and very accurate information, such as speed cameras, speed traps, police, plus bunch of other useful alerts.

This method also works on the Ultimate, but is limited to audible alerts via Bluetooth, while the tech has added advantage of visual representation, courtesy of the added CP/AA features...

Last edited:

rcd123

Genesis Model Type
If you plug your phone in and use android auto, activate Waze, and when you exceed the limit the display on the screen (the speed limit) changes, either flashes or changes color, don't remember, but I know that it does something. Granted it's only visual, but there might be something in Waze or Google Navigation that will accomplish what you're looking, haven't really investigated. If I find something I'll let you know.