Oxidated/stain trim?

nrml1

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Spent a couple of days searching but didn't find anything definitive (someone suggested toothpaste?) but I'm curious if anyone has had any luck fixing this issue themselves.

The silver trim around the doors looks stained, like it was wiped with some chemical and now it won't come off.

It isn't something you can peel off with your nail, it almost smudges when you run your fingers on top of it. any thoughts?

20211114_160405.jpg

Attachments

• 20211114_160401.jpg
    20211114_160401.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 19

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That is our dark chrome trim and lots of discussions here about that across several Genesis lines. Folks have polished it but you will remove the dark tint and end up with bright chrome. Some have had all the trim replaced under warranty. Whoever makes the trim for Genesis does a suck-ass job for the outer dark tint finish will stain with water spots over time. This month my G70 is 2 years old and my trim is not too bad but all pieces are starting to show small stain spots. These days if it rains on my car as soon as I get home in the garage I wipe down the trim so it’s dry. Don’t know why it’s so hard for the manufacturer to have a dark coating that will last?

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

nrml1

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That is our dark chrome trim and lots of discussions here about that across several Genesis lines. Folks have polished it but you will remove the dark tint and end up with bright chrome. Some have had all the trim replaced under warranty. Whoever makes the trim for Genesis does a suck-ass job for the outer dark tint finish will stain with water spots over time. This month my G70 is 2 years old and my trim is not too bad but all pieces are starting to show small stain spots. These days if it rains on my car as soon as I get home in the garage I wipe down the trim so it’s dry. Don’t know why it’s so hard for the manufacturer to have a dark coating that will last?
Same with my G70, it'll be 2 years old on December 8th and you can see where the trim is at. I mean if its something that comes as a "feature" I'll leave it alone. My wife cares about that more than me, although it does take away from the "luxury" factor. oh well.

Waystone

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine is a 2020 with less than 10k miles on it, it too suffers from this. It's really the one blemish on the car, though it is noticeable.

I was thinking about trying for the warranty but I feel the run-around coming. My alternative is to simply black it out.

Oddly enough it's just the windows, not the grill or the door handles.

nrml1

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Mine is a 2020 with less than 10k miles on it, it too suffers from this. It's really the one blemish on the car, though it is noticeable.

I was thinking about trying for the warranty but I feel the run-around coming. My alternative is to simply black it out.

Oddly enough it's just the windows, not the grill or the door handles.
yeah I'd wonder if its worth the hassle for me to replace them especially because its our daily driver and is not garaged. Thankfully it isn't too unsightly

mrcleeaan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@nrml1
Yours doesn't appear to be the dark chrome trim from the pictures. You could probably try Meguiar's G17220 Ultimate Compound with a microfiber towel.

nrml1

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
@nrml1
Yours doesn't appear to be the dark chrome trim from the pictures. You could probably try Meguiar's G17220 Ultimate Compound with a microfiber towel.

Yeah I'm not sure about the details of the car yet if I'm honest aside from the engine and transmission details. I'll give that a shot in a an inconspicuous spot and see how it goes.

qdesoto

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
They kept the white film on my car to long and had the glue mess my trim up. The dealership called a guy and he used DeNatured Alcohol to fix it. Came out looking great. Only thing is it did change to a not so dark trim. Looks good to me.

ProsperDad

Registered Member
Prosper, TX
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
When I picked up my 2020 in June, all of the window trim and some of the grille looked like this.

I had some Brasso in the garage that I use on my exhaust tips, so thought I'd give it a shot. WOW!!! Worked great. Applied it full strength to a microfiber and rubbed gently in 8" to 10" increments, then immediately wiped off with a clean microfiber.

I applied Chemical Guys Jet Seal over top and all has been great!

I'd read that other members had used Bar Keeps Friend, but it has a tendency to remove the tinting (yes, its a film), but Brasso doesn't do this.

Attachments

• 8fb4da21-dbcb-4a3f-a85f-489707eee78d_1.a968714b96662fd12f11f48d4f648c47.jpeg
    8fb4da21-dbcb-4a3f-a85f-489707eee78d_1.a968714b96662fd12f11f48d4f648c47.jpeg
    37.4 KB · Views: 3

Panama Casey

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Has anyone just black wrapped the window trim only? Wonder how that would look?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners