Page load times

pops

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Thread starter #1
Is anyone noticing long page load times of late? It seems for the last couple of weeks on a couple different computers the forum is taking a long time to load.

Nikgen

Been here awhile...
Yup - CRAZY LONG load times!!!!

This makes the site virtually unusable. For example, when I clcked on this thread, it took 13 seconds for this page to load. I see this behaviour on all devices as well: Work PC, Home PC, iPhone 6s, and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Galaxy Tab S3 - so it isn't the operating system or hardware.

Edit - Definitely BIG problems here. I had a typo in my post and I hit edit to fix it - it took over 30 seconds to pop up with the screen thet I could edit my post in!

I'll check back in a week to see it is it fixed. Otherwise, the site is pretty useless at present unless you enjoy waiting for insanely long page loads.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
No problems noted. By the way, I always use the DESKTOP view, even on my iPhone. The mobile App stinks. So do most mobile Apps of any website.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I am using the mobile version version on my phone with no problems loading pages or editing posts right now.
I agree that the mobile version is inferior with no way to mark all forums as read like you can do with the desktop. How do you get the desktop version from your phone? I have to request the desktop, it the gives me a blank page, I hit back page, and finally click on new posts. That is a drag. Do you have a better way?

MozartMan

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Yup - CRAZY LONG load times!!!!

This makes the site virtually unusable. For example, when I clcked on this thread, it took 13 seconds for this page to load. I see this behaviour on all devices as well: Work PC, Home PC, iPhone 6s, and Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 and Galaxy Tab S3 - so it isn't the operating system or hardware.

Edit - Definitely BIG problems here. I had a typo in my post and I hit edit to fix it - it took over 30 seconds to pop up with the screen thet I could edit my post in!

I'll check back in a week to see it is it fixed. Otherwise, the site is pretty useless at present unless you enjoy waiting for insanely long page loads.
Yes, long load times.

This is because of advertisers that inject their HTML and JavaScript code in the forum pages.

as400guy

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Page load times are a problem, but to me the biggest problem is screen re-positioning.

Just as the screen is positioned to the post you want, it jerks up or down. Then when you up or down arrow it to where you want, it repositions again. Drives me NUTTY. The only reason for this is a poor tool retrieving poorly-directed ads.

Please fix your forum tool!

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Okay, I'm going to make some changes and hopefully they'll help. For anyone who's noticed slow page load times lately - would you please clear your genesisowners.com cache and cookies, restart your browser and log back in to let me know if it's any different? Let's start there.

Thank you! And I apologize for the trouble...

It's certainly possible that it could be an ad or ads. For me, I browse using the guest version with every single ad in display. For me, the pages load quickly. But I'm probably not seeing the same ads as you. We all see different ads. So it could be that one of the ads running on the network has an issue which is causing problems. For anyone who clearing cache and cookies doesn't work for, maybe we can pin point which ad or ads - and remove them...

pops

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Thread starter #9
Cleared cookies and cache for this site. No change in load times. took 26 seconds to fully load. Did same on other computer with same result. Hope there is a cure for the problem.

Adding some levity...... No pressure but the Cadillac CT6 forum loads lightning fast. :)

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Genesis Model Type
Cleared cookies and cache for this site. No change in load times. took 26 seconds to fully load. Did same on other computer with same result. Hope there is a cure for the problem.

Adding some levity...... No pressure but the Cadillac CT6 forum loads lightning fast. :)
Hey, can you send me a link to that CT6 forum? In the meantime, you did restart your browser - right? Try logging out and logging back in again. I just made another change that could help.

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I am using the mobile version version on my phone with no problems loading pages or editing posts right now.
I agree that the mobile version is inferior with no way to mark all forums as read like you can do with the desktop. How do you get the desktop version from your phone? I have to request the desktop, it the gives me a blank page, I hit back page, and finally click on new posts. That is a drag. Do you have a better way?
Open the mobile App. Pull the page down with your finger.

Hold down the refresh button at the right top of the page until the "Request Desktop Site" button appears.

Press the "Request Desktop Site" button. Next press the underlined "Genesis Forums" text. The Desktop view will open.

pops

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Thread starter #12

DubbuD

Been here awhile...
Whatever you did seems to have worked for the main pages (home pages, forum selections, etc.), but as I'm typing this the page is still loading, and it took about 7 seconds to be able to see anything. Page just fully loaded. It's a minor annoyance really, but it's like it on everything from my crappy work computer with 4 GB of RAM and a first gen i5 to my $2500 Gaming PC at home; running dual X-Fire Radeon RX480s, and OC'd i5 6600k with 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. So it would seem computer specs have little to do with page load times, hahaha.

Granted, it is a couple seconds faster on the gaming rig (as is literally everything, hahaha)

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Genesis Model Type
Thank you for the link! And thank you for letting me know that what I did fixed things. Now I know what I need to do so if anyone is having page load issues, please let me know.

Whatever you did seems to have worked for the main pages (home pages, forum selections, etc.), but as I'm typing this the page is still loading, and it took about 7 seconds to be able to see anything. Page just fully loaded. It's a minor annoyance really, but it's like it on everything from my crappy work computer with 4 GB of RAM and a first gen i5 to my $2500 Gaming PC at home; running dual X-Fire Radeon RX480s, and OC'd i5 6600k with 16 GB of DDR4 RAM. So it would seem computer specs have little to do with page load times, hahaha.

Granted, it is a couple seconds faster on the gaming rig (as is literally everything, hahaha)
Okay, good to know. Thank you. I'm glad to see at least some of the change has helped. Can you give clearing your genesisowners.com cache and cookies a shot? Restart your browser and log back in. That should further help to see an improvement.

Whatever you did seems to have really helped. Page load times are MUCH faster today.
Thank you! I'm glad to hear this. As the site grows, the database gets fuller and fuller, with good stuff and some garbage that occasionally needs to be cleaned up. :)

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I don't have any page load problems, probably because the computer I mainly use blocks ads by setting the "hosts" file to point most known ad sites to ip address of zeros. Using that method does not allow me to whitelist specific sites to accept ads.

But I do hear farting sounds on every page, since the forum software can see that my computer cannot load ads. What's up with that? Is farting the best you can do? How about a fart followed by the sound of someone on the toilet with diarrhea and the sound of the stuff hitting the water? That would be more effective for deterring ad blockers, IMO.

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Genesis Model Type
Hilarious. :p

Plop! You should be good to go...

I don't have any page load problems, probably because the computer I mainly use blocks ads by setting the "hosts" file to point most known ad sites to ip address of zeros. Using that method does not allow me to whitelist specific sites to accept ads.

But I do hear farting sounds on every page, since the forum software can see that my computer cannot load ads. What's up with that? Is farting the best you can do? How about a fart followed by the sound of someone on the toilet with diarrhea and the sound of the stuff hitting the water? That would be more effective for deterring ad blockers, IMO.

pops

Sustaining Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Thread starter #18
Well, I may have spoke too soon. I'm back to huge load times. Yesterday when I notice the great improvement I noticed I had to log in again every time I came to the site even after selecting "Remember me." Load times were vastly improved while having to re-log in every time. I couldn't figure out (even having remember me selected) why I had to keep logging in. So I went to Chrome's settings and noticed that I had switched on "Block cookies." Once I turned that off and re-selected remember me, I'm back to very long load times.

Genesis Motors

Genesis Motors Forum
Staff member
Genesis Model Type
Okay. Let me know if you see any improvement now... Thank you!

Well, I may have spoke too soon. I'm back to huge load times. Yesterday when I notice the great improvement I noticed I had to log in again every time I came to the site even after selecting "Remember me." Load times were vastly improved while having to re-log in every time. I couldn't figure out (even having remember me selected) why I had to keep logging in. So I went to Chrome's settings and noticed that I had switched on "Block cookies." Once I turned that off and re-selected remember me, I'm back to very long load times.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.