Paint flaking off at the edge of quarter panels

NobodyKnows

Registered Member
Ashburn, VA
Genesis G70
A few days after I took ownership of my G70 I noticed a bit of paint flaking off at the edge of my front passenger quarter panel. Checked around the rest of the car and noticed the same in the rear by the wheel well. Anyone else find this on their car? I assume the panels are rubbing while I'm driving. Tomorrow the dealership will look at it but I'm worried about how they might try to resolve the issue.

princelybug

SUSTAINING MEMBER
SoCal
Equus (2011-2016)
That first pic is definitely a gap issue. The second one of the hood is harder to determine.

On the bright side, you do have a warranty as you mentioned, and a free loaner should be provided.

CVODON

Registered Member
Genesis G70
I don't see any chips, maybe I am blind, but your bumper is out of alignment on that side. This, assuming you didn't bump something and cause this, is definitely a warranty item. I am surprised you took delivery of a new car with a panel alignment problem. I would contact Genesis and start a complaint and maybe they will suggest another.
Good luck. I assume you got the dealership service manager, not counter person, involved? If not make an appointment and go back and demand meeting with him/her.
I had to get service manager involved to get them to rotate tires, Idiot on counter said we can't they are different front and rear sizes. I pointed procedure out to him in owners manual, which pissed him off and he tried to stonewall me. I won.

NobodyKnows

Registered Member
Ashburn, VA
Genesis G70
Yeah its hard to see but its in the gaps at the edge of the panel in both pictures. The one by the wheel is easier to see - the paint is raised. The other looks like bare metal, paint missing completely. Maybe the bumper is off by a hair. It didn't stand out when I checked over the car and it didn't look off when I took the picture either.

The service manager is the one who told me to go back to the other genesis dealer, as if they only warranty vehicles bought at their own dealership. I contacted them but haven't heard back yet.

leechri3

Registered Member
Genesis G70
The service manager is the one who told me to go back to the other genesis dealer, as if they only warranty vehicles bought at their own dealership. I contacted them but haven't heard back yet.
That's some BS. A warranty is from the manufacturer (Genesis) not from the dealership. Not sure how much time you'd want to invest but I would definitely speak to the dealership's general manager as he/she is probably higher than the service manager. I've never contacted corporate for an auto issue but that might also be an idea. It sucks you need to go through.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
In-between the panels, zoomed in, right here...correct?

IMG_0614__01~2.jpg

Also, tell me, is this clear coat coming off, or just rain drops/hard water spots..?

IMG_0615__01__01.jpg

NobodyKnows

Registered Member
Ashburn, VA
Genesis G70
Yeah that’s my worry too. I noticed just the other day that they did a pretty bad job painting the wheels too, clearly missed some spots behind the spokes. Oh well
Good luck with your repair! I’ll follow up when mine is taken care of.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums