Panoramic sunroof / moonroof / headliner explosion or noise concerns and fixes

spugger

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
These issues have been discussed in a few different threads, but I thought it deserved one of its own in the general area since it is not just in the G70 section. Quick summary: sunroof.jpg

Problem 1: lots cars with the panoramic sunroofs are making some creaking / rattling noises (including my 2017 G80). There is a "kit" available to fix it: part # J-43980-HMA - but so far it doesn't seem to be too successful.

Problem 2: Some panoramic sunroofs are spontaneously exploding both while driving and while closing the door. This is a known problem in lots of cars, but according to testimony in Congress (source: Consumer Reports), is apparently more common in Hyundai than any other maker. Eventually, I assume that safety standards will require all glass to be laminated (as it is in Tesla). While scary, it should also be noted that one forum member's vehicle was in a moderate collision and the sunroof did not break. Perhaps the percentage is so low it's not worth worrying about?

Questions for this thread:
1) Have any of you tried to fix the noisy headliner/sunroof problem? Success?
2) Has anyone applied some type of 3M film to their sunroof to protect from shattering?

Sunroof exploded
Any of you have a headliner/sunroof noise issue?

Mr. Incredible

G80 gone, still a Hyundai owner. 2021 Palisade
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I recently had the entire pano in my 2018 G80 Sport replaced, the creak and rattle I heard was the bracket on the passenger side.

The bracket that attaches the glass to the metal track is done so with rivets, not screws, in my case 2 rivets had broken resulting in the glass vibrating, since their is no fix to this because it is all "solid state" so to speak. Genesis required the dealer to replace the entire roof.

I don't believe the rivets or the track bracing are strong enough to support the roof when it is open and driven at highway speeds, the wind passing over the roof results in a lot of vibration and downforce on the glass, made worse IMO by the bug screen Hyundai is using, vs. a standard aerodynamic wind deflector.

This leads (in my opinion) to the rattles and creaks we hear.

---

as per the exploding roofs, I have a theory about that.. I believe that the exterior glass gets either excessively hot or cold depending on the environment and when one is using the interior heat or AC, the interior glass temps and the exterior glass temps are not equalized, resulting in the glass shattering.

the exterior is either too hot (high outside temp) and the interior too cold (due to running of AC) over the large surface area of the pano, or in colder climates the exterior is too cold while the interior is getting heated, and these unbalanced temps result in the glass exploding.

I normal sunroof has a metal roof to dissipate the exterior heat or cold, plus they usually have a very thick insulated shade to maintain balance, the pano doesn't have that metal surface area and the shade isn't thick or insulated, it is merely a thin piece of fabric.

spugger

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
That's great info Mr. Incredible! What year is your G80? I'm assuming that was covered under warranty? How is the result of the fix? Was it easy for your dealership to figure out or did they have to go to Hyundai to get it figured out?

Mr. Incredible

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That's great info Mr. Incredible! What year is your G80? I'm assuming that was covered under warranty? How is the result of the fix? Was it easy for your dealership to figure out or did they have to go to Hyundai to get it figured out?

2018 G80 Sport.

Initially the dealer tech "couldn't replicate" the noise, I had to take him on a test drive point out the sound, then show him how the passenger side of the pano (when open) lifted and flexed where the driver side did not.

after which they contacted Genesis who required the whole pano be replaced.

to do so properly, requires removal of the rear window, the rear pano glass, headliner, A, B, C. pillar covers and front seats. all that has to be removed in order to properly remove the pano track system.

it took 7 days, 2 days of that was just allowing the glass adhesive to cure after the rear pano glass and rear window were replaced.

it was all warranty, no out of pocket. . The tech did an outstanding job, you couldn't tell it was replaced (except the new glass didn't have my tint on it), no rattles, clicks, buzzes, etc. 3 weeks now since it was done.

The Service Manager had be take it for a drive before signing off on it to be sure there were no noises coming from the replacement.

I am happy with the work that was done, it remains to be seen if it will hold up.. the issue first appeared 7 months into new ownership. FWIW I had a similar issue on my previous Lexus (regular sunroof) and their handling of it was the same, replacement of the whole unit, and no issues after.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
as per the exploding roofs, I have a theory about that.. I believe that the exterior glass gets either excessively hot or cold depending on the environment and when one is using the interior heat or AC, the interior glass temps and the exterior glass temps are not equalized, resulting in the glass shattering.

the exterior is either too hot (high outside temp) and the interior too cold (due to running of AC) over the large surface area of the pano, or in colder climates the exterior is too cold while the interior is getting heated, and these unbalanced temps result in the glass exploding.

I normal sunroof has a metal roof to dissipate the exterior heat or cold, plus they usually have a very thick insulated shade to maintain balance, the pano doesn't have that metal surface area and the shade isn't thick or insulated, it is merely a thin piece of fabric.
Your theory may be correct. Toss in not enough room for thermal expansion too.

I'm surprised that Hyundai is not putting some sort of film on the inside of the glass, clear or tinted, that would help with glass hitting you from shattering.

I also wonder if it is better to have the inside shade closed to slow temperature differential or it in the sun it would build up more heat between glass and shade. I usually keep it closed in summer to keep the hot sun out.

QuikZ06

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
My 17 G80’s roof creaks too. It’s only when I’m a bumpy or uneven road. Doesn’t do it often but once in a while you’ll hear it. My old CTSV did the same thing and I told myself I wouldn’t buy another car with pano roof.

Mr. Incredible

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
My 17 G80’s roof creaks too. It’s only when I’m a bumpy or uneven road. Doesn’t do it often but once in a while you’ll hear it. My old CTSV did the same thing and I told myself I wouldn’t buy another car with pano roof.

Open the roof and then check the rear bracket that connects from the track to the glass, if there is any play in it at all likely the rivet connecting it has broken, that is what happened to mine, drivers side no play passenger side moved 1”-2” when you lifted it, After the roof was replaced the creaking went away, been almost 2 months now, no issues.

QuikZ06

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Open the roof and then check the rear bracket that connects from the track to the glass, if there is any play in it at all likely the rivet connecting it has broken, that is what happened to mine, drivers side no play passenger side moved 1”-2” when you lifted it, After the roof was replaced the creaking went away, been almost 2 months now, no issues.

I tried it today and didn’t notice any play in it anywhere. Like I said it’s not bad, sounds like my old CTS, just annoying sometimes.

ThoughtfulOne

Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I have the occasional creak on my 2015 Genesis as well. It only happens on bumpy roads though.

Philip2

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
silicon greased everything I could see regarding the roof mechanism and my creaking went away

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Chad86tsi

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
there are creaks and there are rattles, they are caused by different root causes. There is a TSB to remedy both. I got my local dealer to print out the TSB's, which have pics and descriptions on how to fix them both. Its 23 pages in PDF format. Email me at chad86tsi@yahoo.com and I can email you the PDF.

I'll be tackling mine this winter. It details both lubricating key moving parts, and tightening (with lock tight) key fasteners. It looks doable for a handy person with plenty of time and sufficient desire. I was quoted a little over $1000 and full shop rates to have a dealer do it, he told me it was just a lot of time, but the process doesn't difficult..

ReneL

Getting familiar with the group...
Nor Cal
I previously had a 2015 Sonata with a panoramic sunroof. I never had any issues with that one and so far have had no issues with the one in my 2017 Genesis. I love them. Recently, I received a notice in the mail from Hyundai me that due to the explosion issues with Sonata panoramic sun roofs they have extended the warranty for them. Made me curious about whether the same will be true for Genesis.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I previously had a 2015 Sonata with a panoramic sunroof. I never had any issues with that one and so far have had no issues with the one in my 2017 Genesis. I love them. Recently, I received a notice in the mail from Hyundai me that due to the explosion issues with Sonata panoramic sun roofs they have extended the warranty for them. Made me curious about whether the same will be true for Genesis.
At the moment they are not covered. The lawsuit only covers up to 2016 Hyundai, nothing on Genesis. To my knowledge Genesis was not involved so no extended warranty
FAQ | Panoramic Sunroof Settlement

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners