Part number for "performance" brake pads on Dynamic version?

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know or have access to information regarding the "performance" brake pads that come standard on the Dynamic Launch Edition, V6 variant?

I want to experiment with different pad compounds to see how much high pad compressibility is contributing to pedal feel, and there aren't too many aftermarket options out yet.

Thanks,
-Ash

NLJ

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis G70
Hi Folks,
Does anyone know or have access to information regarding the "performance" brake pads that come standard on the Dynamic Launch Edition, V6 variant?

I want to experiment with different pad compounds to see how much high pad compressibility is contributing to pedal feel, and there aren't too many aftermarket options out yet.

Thanks,
-Ash
Have you checked to see if the rotor size on the Stinger is the same?
The Brembos may be the same as well!

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70
I have, and I'm pretty sure they are the same brakes, but there seems to be more "aesthetic" mods available for the Stinger (big surprise) in the way of drilled and slotted rotors, but the pad choices all seem to lean towards ceramics that make less dust. I'm looking in the opposite direction. I'm fine with more dust if it means less compressibility and more bite. So far, I haven't seen much in the way of those options.

So I figured if the OEM has something they're comfortable enough to put on a launch car, why not try it.

Thank you!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
I have, and I'm pretty sure they are the same brakes, but there seems to be more "aesthetic" mods available for the Stinger (big surprise) in the way of drilled and slotted rotors, but the pad choices all seem to lean towards ceramics that make less dust. I'm looking in the opposite direction. I'm fine with more dust if it means less compressibility and more bite. So far, I haven't seen much in the way of those options.

So I figured if the OEM has something they're comfortable enough to put on a launch car, why not try it.

Thank you!

I wonder if we could get in touch with the parts department at a Genesis dealer, maybe they could look it up for us...

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70
Yeah thats my next move. My experience thus far is Hyundai dealerships arent very knowledgeable about our cars yet... so i figured id ask here first on the off chance someone knows.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Genesis G70
Yeah thats my next move. My experience thus far is Hyundai dealerships arent very knowledgeable about our cars yet... so i figured id ask here first on the off chance someone knows.
Definitely, right there with you. Even just trying to find any info from my local dealers about if/when they might even get the car has been uneventful.

If you find something out, please let us know. I am so down with more aggressive brake pads.

NLJ

Registered Member
Canada
Genesis G70
Definitely, right there with you. Even just trying to find any info from my local dealers about if/when they might even get the car has been uneventful.

If you find something out, please let us know. I am so down with more aggressive brake pads.
Here my GXM connected me to the Genesis specific parts manager and service manager. It's white-glove treatment all around.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70
Here my GXM connected me to the Genesis specific parts manager and service manager. It's white-glove treatment all around.
Care to spread the wealth then? :)

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis G90
If you can get me a VIN that has the brakes you're talking about, that would be easiest. Otherwise, the descriptions in the parts catalog are pretty vague to what they actually are. I can look into it on Monday.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70

Attachments

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70
If you can get me a VIN that has the brakes you're talking about, that would be easiest. Otherwise, the descriptions in the parts catalog are pretty vague to what they actually are. I can look into it on Monday.
I'm coming up with 58101-J5A55 for the fronts, and 58302-J5A55 for the rear. List price is $288.37 and $290.82.
Nice! Any other info provided, like oem manufacturer, pad compound name, etc?

Also, can you confirm this is a different part number than for a standard car? Can provide my own VIN via PM if you need it.

Thanks so much!
Ash

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis G90
Nice! Any other info provided, like oem manufacturer, pad compound name, etc?

Also, can you confirm this is a different part number than for a standard car? Can provide my own VIN via PM if you need it.

Thanks so much!
Ash
This is the total parts list for the front pads.
1544449411771.png

And for the rear.
1544449469276.png

According to the shop manual, the non Brembo's are made by Mando. It gives me service specs and limits, but nothing about compounds.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70
I just ordered a set of the "European" pads as indicated on the list posted above (thanks again!)

Will report back on if there's an actual difference in part numbers on my car (I expect there to be) and then if so, how they differ in performance to the stock mushy pads.

PD705

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis G70
How's the pedal feel?
Brake pads don't really affect pedal feel, that's related to the hydraulic system in the car and how it's calibrated. OE Brembo systems are known to feel a bit soft - because they're not made "in-house" but rather bought and adapted, the tuning range is somewhat more limited. For example, the non-Brembo system in G70 has a much sharper pedal feel. The Brembo system stops harder and has much better heat dissipation, of course, but the standard brakes just "feel" better in daily driving.

The low-steel pads in the 2.0T M/T feel the same through the pedal but wake up more as they get hot. They have much better thermal resistance, too. I've not experienced any untoward noisiness from them, but as canuck mentioned, they do dust a lot.

ashmostro

Registered Member
Northern Virginia
Genesis G70
Brake pads don't really affect pedal feel, that's related to the hydraulic system in the car and how it's calibrated. OE Brembo systems are known to feel a bit soft - because they're not made "in-house" but rather bought and adapted, the tuning range is somewhat more limited. For example, the non-Brembo system in G70 has a much sharper pedal feel. The Brembo system stops harder and has much better heat dissipation, of course, but the standard brakes just "feel" better in daily driving.

The low-steel pads in the 2.0T M/T feel the same through the pedal but wake up more as they get hot. They have much better thermal resistance, too. I've not experienced any untoward noisiness from them, but as canuck mentioned, they do dust a lot.
I used to believe that too, but I've learned from trying many a brake setup on various track day platforms I've owned that pad compressibility actually can frequently contribute a material amount to pedal feel. It seems unintuitive at first, I agree.

But, as you inferred, so do piston sizing, lines, and booster proportioning. In the end, it's difficult to predict if the pedal feel impact from pad compound will be materially significant or not without testing, ergo, testing!

Best,
Ash

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums