Pedestrian Detection Works!

Driving to the gym early this morning before any hint of sun was up. The road is a simple two lane road with no shoulder. and it's on the edge of town so no street lights. Some guy was walking along the side of the road (with the flow of traffic) in dark blue jeans and a black jacket. I absolutely did not see him and the Genesis applied the brakes heavily suddenly such that it shocked me and I wondered what the hell was going on. I did not see him until as I was going by. I don't know what the outcome would have been had the car not alerted me, but honestly I don't even want to think about it.

bigdaveinomaha

Registered Member
I'd sure like to know what the hell that was then.
When I first got my '15 sedan I was driving down a road where a bunch of cyclists were on the right hand shoulder. One of them suddenly weaved out a few feet over the line and my Genny slammed on the brakes and gave me all the warning bells. So while I can't say that it has a particular pedestrian detection feature, it sure picked that guy up.

I just think it needs to be something big and solid enough to reflect the radar beam. Perhaps a dog is too low to the ground for it to accurately detect.
Post from another'15 owner. Although mine this time was a single person, not a group of cyclists.

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Has anyone had the car stop completely for a car completely stopped in the road way. They say the Tesla cannot do this, but there is a commercial of the 2015 Genesis with Technology package doing this with a semi truck slamming on its brakes and a long line of Genesis in a row doing the stop. But I think it was following the truck right before it stopped. The detection systems don't work as well if they did not measure the object moving before it suddenly stops.

BlancaGenny

Been here awhile...
Rapid City
Has anyone had the car stop completely for a car completely stopped in the road way. They say the Tesla cannot do this, but there is a commercial of the 2015 Genesis with Technology package doing this with a semi truck slamming on its brakes and a long line of Genesis in a row doing the stop. But I think it was following the truck right before it stopped. The detection systems don't work as well if they did not measure the object moving before it suddenly stops.
Suddenly? I have not had this situation happen to me (knocks on wood). If I have Smart Cruise enabled and I am going with traffic, it will bring the car to a stop. I have to engage cruise again for the car to start moving. I hesitate to try a full blown cruise control to a light that has a car stopped at it. I do not have the balls to see if it starts to slow down before I have my left foot engaged (I'm sure there are some standard drivers still out there).

It slows be down heavily if I am coming up to traffic fairly quickly and don't feel like engaging myself but its a bit too harsh.

TbonePdx

Registered Member
Portland, OR
This is not a pedestrian detection/collision warning system. This is simply collision mitigation. Sometimes the system can pick up bicyclists but I've never had a pedestrian trigger it. I'm not sure I like this. I'm assuming that you were in no danger of actually hitting him?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.