• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Performance upgrades for the G80 3.8 engine

RevNight

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I am reading alot about the K&N air filters and JB4 tuner, but they are only available for the Kia Stinger (2.0T, 3.3TT), G70 (2.0T, 3.3TT), and G80 (3.3T). Basically, every flavor except for the 3.8 Naturally Aspirated engine.

So for those of us who may buy the lower end G80, what recourse do we have to upgrade the engine performance?

bthor

Hasn't posted much yet...
San Diego
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Not getting much response on this issue. Did see on you-tube a guy placing electrical tape over airflap magnet that opens above 4k - to open sooner. Not really sure it does anything??

TinsleyC

Registered Member
Dallas, TX
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Kinda sad when the only 3.8 engine mods recommend are a piece of tape and a new air filter. 😆

Oh well, if we really wanted more power we could have bought the more powerful engine.

Tanninhyde

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I dont think you're missing too much. How often do any of us really open up the full capabilities of our vehicles? Most mods are an exercise in satisfying our desire to tinker. You have all that extra income at the end of the month to spend elsewhere.

e.han

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)

MorrisGray

Rock Spring, GA
I did the airbox trick on our 2012 but have not really noticed any difference but my wife drives it most of the time and she never notices much about the way it runs as long as the tires provide a comfortable ride. But I never noticed the hesitation that some people talked about either that led to the air box mod.

e.han

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I did the airbox trick on our 2012 but have not really noticed any difference but my wife drives it most of the time and she never notices much about the way it runs as long as the tires provide a comfortable ride. But I never noticed the hesitation that some people talked about either that led to the air box mod.
I suspect the design intent for that flap in the airbox is to allow the car to start easier from cold. I don't see how it'll help performance since at speeds, the flap will open anyway.

On my karts, when they fail to start on the 1st crank, we basically cover the air intake and crank again basically allowing it to run a little richer.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums