• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - Facebook and Instagram. Something new is coming for Genesis owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Picked up my GV60 today

Stvhull

Genesis Model Year
Hello everyone.
If i understand correctly the latest thread topic... it is about the possibility that when a car that WE have pre-order, by puting a deposit, gets to the dealer... he would add an amount (some sort of markup) to it... as an exemple... 79k + 1 up to 5k... or something like that...
From a personnal view... that would be a first for me... that never did happen (to me) before.
That said... there is a first time for everything :) isnt it ?
If this would end up happening to me... i would very strongly suggest to the dealer to revise his method before doing so...
I am not a lawyer ... but... here in Quebec, i know how to have a car stuck in a dealer parking lot for a long time... well.. up until a judge has decided about who is right and who is wrong... and then... go with the judge decision.
One thing is for sure... no one can blame the dealer from trying... and the clients from saying NO... after all... its all business.

I am a VERY... VERY... patient man..

Now that you have brought that possibility to my attention... i will prepare my self for anything...
What can i say... thanks to all of you :cool:

Chiefsfan

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Got a surprise call this morning that my car arrived yesterday. Came to the dealership around noon and now doing the first charge. Love the car so far. I was the first one to in Bay Area to pick up a GV60 apparently. Genesis of Stevens Creek is great with no markups, straight MSRP.
View attachment 46211
Do you have an email contact?

G-700653

Do you have an email contact?
Remember. this dealership is only honoring msrp for P1 orders. They are happily charging a 6k markup. They lost my business. In fact. I ordered a fisker ocean today as they have a much better business model. Too bad though, Genesis is a pretty car. Just afraid of falling prey to the horrible hyundai service.

xiaonan80

Registered Member
Remember. this dealership is only honoring msrp for P1 orders. They are happily charging a 6k markup. They lost my business. In fact. I ordered a fisker ocean today as they have a much better business model. Too bad though, Genesis is a pretty car. Just afraid of falling prey to the horrible hyundai service.
You are right, I was on the market for an Ioniq5 before GV60 becomes available and Stevens Creek was the first dealer I erased from my list because of their crazy markups. I was a little surprised that they actually honored MSRP for P1 this time.

On the other hand, I did call this dealer ~1mon ago before I knew my car was to be delivered to them, and they said they would definitely add ~$5-6k markups even for P1. I then complained to Genesis naming this dealer. Not sure if it did something to help.

unlock42

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Genesis does not have this option in the US because of state franchise laws that protect the dealer from direct sales by the manufacturer they represent. They might be able to set up an ordering process but could not force dealers to sell at a fixed price.

Auto dealers are one of the best organized lobbying groups at the state legislature level so this is unlikely to change soon. New car companies without existing dealer franchises are permitted to sell direct in a number (but far from all) states. For example, you cannot buy a Tesla in Texas because of their auto franchise laws - you need to take possession of it out of state.

Nice info., thanks for sharing. That's unfortunate. I hope they figure things out soon, meaning Genesis to really avoid having to bunk bed with Hyundai dealerships. Great products, but they lack the dealership experience which is in many ways just as harmful to a potential customer.

unlock42

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
As far as dealer add-on, Porsche dealers have for quite a few years added tens of thousands of dollars in ADM to their harder to get models. Been common practice at many, many highly respected Porsche dealers. Limited availability and strong demand leads to ADM for any product including very high end, quality products. Porsche’s inside story shows that they don’t necessarily condone it but have allowed it for quite a few years by their biggest and highest rated dealers, a dealer network that is rated as one of the best. ADM is not a new idea in the car business, its been around for a long time for any models that have high demand and limited supply. Of course never once happened at Pontiac dealers for the Aztec! ;)

Fair point and it's true, the practice isn't new. The issue here though is that Genesis is a new luxury brand trying to make it's way up and by them adopting into shady practices right off the bat isn't doing it any justice.

To clarify what I mean by shady is in reference to those having put down a deposit and facing a bait & switch, or the unreasonable mark ups as if they have a long track record and clout to even do so. It's silly and only pissing off customers.

I’ve recently heard stories of people that have made agreements on vehicles at a specific price, put down a deposit, and when the car arrived the dealer added a bunch of stuff to it - and the price - and told the buyer “take it or leave it”. That is top tier shady.

I agree. Roseville Genesis has been doing this. They are a bunch of ##### heads. Not worth giving them any business.

It baffles me how these stealerships and low life scum bags are not ashamed to display their rubbish practices when things are going well for them due to supply & demand, while totally ignoring any future repercussions. - When things are not in their favor again, it's funny how the tune changes to them being your best friend again.

No judgement here...I am all about the concept of supply and demand, but let's get real. Everyone on here is privileged.

There's truth to that. We're here talking about a ~$60-70K luxury EV after all. Although I'm a cash buyer, I still value integrity and just want fairness.

What some of these dealers are doing is just wrong on many levels. Then again, nothing new....they've always been scum bags. It just sucks that people are getting screwed over with the bait & switch and/or insane mark ups.

kqian111

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Fair point and it's true, the practice isn't new. The issue here though is that Genesis is a new luxury brand trying to make it's way up and by them adopting into shady practices right off the bat isn't doing it any justice.

To clarify what I mean by shady is in reference to those having put down a deposit and facing a bait & switch, or the unreasonable mark ups as if they have a long track record and clout to even do so. It's silly and only pissing off customers.

I agree. Roseville Genesis has been doing this. They are a bunch of ##### heads. Not worth giving them any business.

It baffles me how these stealerships and low life scum bags are not ashamed to display their rubbish practices when things are going well for them due to supply & demand, while totally ignoring any future repercussions. - When things are not in their favor again, it's funny how the tune changes to them being your best friend again.

There's truth to that. We're here talking about a ~$60-70K luxury EV after all. Although I'm a cash buyer, I still value integrity and just want fairness.

What some of these dealers are doing is just wrong on many levels. Then again, nothing new....they've always been scum bags. It just sucks that people are getting screwed over with the bait & switch and/or insane mark ups.
To be fair, when we put down our deposits, no pricing was announced for the vehicles so we all did it in blind faith, hoping for the best. I wouldn't call it a bait and switch by any means since we weren't committing to an agreed upon price at the time of deposit.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

unlock42

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
To be fair, when we put down our deposits, no pricing was announced for the vehicles so we all did it in blind faith, hoping for the best. I wouldn't call it a bait and switch by any means since we weren't committing to an agreed upon price at the time of deposit.

However, there are folks who completed the deal while the vehicle was still in transit so that reality exists. (Bought at MSRP).

Most people with a deposit assumed that they will be buying at MSRP. It would be unreasonable to think that someone who put down a deposit would be happy and jumping with joy to be faced with a $10K-$15K mark up.

Electric96

Los Angeles
Genesis Model Year
Finally I pick up my GV60 Uyuni White and Black interior today at Santa Monica Genesis. The salesman Dean is on top of his service. I did not pay any markup over MSRP, but paid $2000 for exterior dent and interior damaged protection for 5 years ( and I think it worth it )
Picked up the exact same color combo from Dean today!

Hermosahank

Genesis Model Year
Picked up the exact same color combo from Dean today!
Picked mine up (advanced Himalayan grey white interior) from Santa Monica yesterday. Sales rep Hannah. Mark up was 2.5k but there was another 500 that wasn't itemize. Name dropped Dean and that he sold with 2k mark up but wasn't able to match. She brought her manager and h said the advanced models are less negotiable. But got the 750 CA rebate and 500 additional discount for first responder ( technically eligible for military, first responder and college grad but they said can't stack and only can choose 1)

Still figuring out features and such. Most videos and reviews are of the performance model. Any hidden or neat tips/tricks would be appreciated 👍🏿

millkev

Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
For my 2023 GV60 Advanced, it would have been $3995 to bring all of the coverages to the 10 year/100,000 miles level (some coverages are 5 year and some at 6 year and some at 10 year).