Planning a DIY oil change

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My G70 is at about 1400Km now and in a few weeks, I plan to do an oil change myself. Today I bought an oil filter from the local Hyundai dealership (CDN$35 + tax, ouch!) and 7 litres of Pennzoil synthetic 10w30 from Canadian Tire. This oil filter is over $10 more than I was paying for oil filters on my late model BMW.

Whether or not the G70 needs an oil change after the engine has passed the break-in period I'm going to do this for no other reason than I like to get underneath my cars every now and then.

Inside the box are the filter cartridge and a replacement rubber o-ring for the filter housing and an oil plug crush washer. Interestingly, the filter cartridge is made by Mahle which was the same brand as the BMW oil filter cartridge that I used to buy for my X1.

I'll post another update after I've done my oil change. This Youtube video for an oil change for a Kia Stinger (also with the 3.3L turbo engine) is likely what I'll be doing.

IMG_2490.jpg IMG_2491.jpg

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Um...you have free scheduled maintenance!!! Make sure you don’t void it.

The included maintenance in Canada will only cover the first oil change at 10,000Km / 12 months so this type of maintenance would not be covered.

People are free to disagree with me that what I'm planning to do is unnecessary but what possible reason would I be worried about voiding my warranty? I'm using a factory oil filter and the oil I'm using meets all of the specifications stated in the owner's manual.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I know mine is a different year and engine (2015 5.0) and probably a different filter. I purchase mine online in the USA $60 for 10 OEM filters and go pick them up across the border. Your part number looks like its $40 for 5 filters. Take a look...

(5) NEW - OEM 263203LTA0 Oil Filter For 2018 Genesis G80 3.3L V6 DOHC Turbo | eBay

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
The included maintenance in Canada will only cover the first oil change at 10,000Km / 12 months so this type of maintenance would not be covered.

People are free to disagree with me that what I'm planning to do is unnecessary but what possible reason would I be worried about voiding my warranty? I'm using a factory oil filter and the oil I'm using meets all of the specifications stated in the owner's manual.

^ - hey there, according to Connected Services our service interval is 6 months or 10,000kms - whichever comes first. not 12 months. the 12,000kms shown below is incorrect. i suppose they could also be wrong about the 6 month interval, but i'll assume that is correct for the time being.

1537891428112.png

viciousCircle

Hasn't posted much yet...
Um...you have free scheduled maintenance!!! Make sure you don’t void it.
no offense, but this is so crazy, that we now live in an era where people worry about voiding their warranty if they do something as simple as changing the oil in their car that they own!!! Crazy.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
no offense, but this is so crazy, that we now live in an era where people worry about voiding their warranty if they do something as simple as changing the oil in their car that they own!!! Crazy.
Sort of crazy but the warranty was 12,000 miles a few years back you were on your own quickly. With 100,000 miles you want to use some care in choosing the proper fluid and filter.

The big question for our parents was, is the engine going to go first or will the fenders rust away? Rings and bearings at 50,000 miles was common.

Oh, get that carb fixed before the 4000 mile is up

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums