Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
One of the little thing I didn't realize until after purchasing the car is that the USB under the infotainment cluster is the only USB port in the car that can play music and it is the only USB port in the car that can activate CarPlay or Android Auto. A few questions for those of you that play music off your USB drive. Have any of you tried a USB hub/splitter so you can use a USB drive for music and USB cable for maps (or other functions) via CarPlay/Android Auto at the same time? I realize most people are going to say - why don't you just play your music off your phone instead of USB? I understand that is a logical response. However, with the Lexicon sound system, the difference in sound between high quality song files off the USB vs. through iTunes or the phone or other service is pretty huge. So...until i bite the bullet or give up trying, has anyone had any luck using a USB hub/splitter to use both simultaneously? What hub did you use? Secondly, for anyone that plays music via USB, have you noticed any differences in speed or load time when the vehicle starts? Since I upgraded nav last week, the time it takes to start playing music from the USB is about 10-15 seconds, whereas it previously was fairly quick. If you're not experiencing this, what size and speed USB flash drive are you using? Before I go buy a different one, wanted to see if anyone had any perspective. Thanks!

SuzBrady

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV80
One of the little thing I didn't realize until after purchasing the car is that the USB under the infotainment cluster is the only USB port in the car that can play music and it is the only USB port in the car that can activate CarPlay or Android Auto. A few questions for those of you that play music off your USB drive. Have any of you tried a USB hub/splitter so you can use a USB drive for music and USB cable for maps (or other functions) via CarPlay/Android Auto at the same time? I realize most people are going to say - why don't you just play your music off your phone instead of USB? I understand that is a logical response. However, with the Lexicon sound system, the difference in sound between high quality song files off the USB vs. through iTunes or the phone or other service is pretty huge. So...until i bite the bullet or give up trying, has anyone had any luck using a USB hub/splitter to use both simultaneously? What hub did you use? Secondly, for anyone that plays music via USB, have you noticed any differences in speed or load time when the vehicle starts? Since I upgraded nav last week, the time it takes to start playing music from the USB is about 10-15 seconds, whereas it previously was fairly quick. If you're not experiencing this, what size and speed USB flash drive are you using? Before I go buy a different one, wanted to see if anyone had any perspective. Thanks!
I use Waze for maps. It plays very nicely with your music app - will pause the music to give directions - also over media.

Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I use Waze for maps. It plays very nicely with your music app - will pause the music to give directions - also over media.
so are you playing music from the USB or from the phone? i have no issue using waze or google maps with music from my phone. i'm trying to play music from a USB flash drive (not from satellite or fm or phone) AND use an app like Waze on my phone at the same time. Thanks

rmod

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
USB hub does not work...well not in the G70 2.0 I have here. I use AA for everything and am pretty OK with it (512GB micro SD on the phone holds all the music I own)
OTOH, I use a USB hub with the 2017 Subaru that we also have here. Works wonderfully well... and shows up all the USB flash drives that is plugged into it and can use any port for AA. Hopefully Hyundai will upgrade to all Android dash like the Volvos are doing.

tarhoosier

Registered Member
Charlotte
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I use the usb for music most of the time. It works well and I have not noticed a change in start delay since the update of system a few weeks ago. Sound seems as faithful in the car as in my home. If I know I will be using phone mirroring for directions or whatnot I also have 15-20 favorite albums on my phone in phone memory and use those for my pleasure. Wired phone, too, works well for music. I prefer to avoid streaming music.

Friedmike

Registered Member
ORLANDO, FL
Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I use the usb for music most of the time. It works well and I have not noticed a change in start delay since the update of system a few weeks ago. Sound seems as faithful in the car as in my home. If I know I will be using phone mirroring for directions or whatnot I also have 15-20 favorite albums on my phone in phone memory and use those for my pleasure. Wired phone, too, works well for music. I prefer to avoid streaming music.
thanks for this. makes me think i should try a faster USB drive. and maybe a faster flash card for the navi.

che88ney

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis GV70
Hi - just got a 3.5 Advanced in August and I love it - but not thrilled with music playing capability either. I like using CarPlay (I have iTunes match and can play anything from my collection nicely) but on this vehicle it won't let me choose by artist, album etc...while driving - only search by Siri or choosing from most recently played. In previous cars and in both my wife's VW Atlas and son's Honda Civic, those infotainment systems easily allowed choosing artist, album, etc...

Also in previous cars I was able to plug in my iPod classic (though this Genesis has only one USB that supports music devices...) and play easily from that, again, searching by artist, album etc...

Bought a large capacity USB stick and loaded all my music from iTunes, and it plays flawlessly in my wife's VW but in my Genesis, it won't list albums under artist folders, just lists all tracks and I can't simply go to an album...again, seems that the infotainment system on the Genesis is just not that user friendly. Any helpful advice out there from other frustrated owners would be appreciated! Great vehicle in all other ways, though!!

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

GuinnessGuy74

Genesis Model Year
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I have a 2022 G70 and I play music via USB. As long as the MP3/FLAC files are tagged correctly, the Album/Artist/Year/Cover Art is shown properly. I have my Folders organized by Artist, followed by Albums in those folders. Everything follows this structure for me on the USB interface. When using the Files button anyway.

The only thing that bothers me is sometimes I play all songs by an artist using shuffle (Navigate to that Artist and hit PLAY with shuffle on). When I restart the car it continues playing on shuffle, but only the last album that it was playing. It won't go back up a level to play all songs by that artist. A little wonky, so I hope that gets worked out.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners