• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Potential buyer

Noavt

Registered Member
Dear all: my wife and I test drove a demo 3.8 sedan limited and loved it.

This demo car (with +/- 800 miles) is for sale for $41k plus. This particular car had a temporary (paper) license plate.

The salesperson explained Hyundai gives them an e certificate that allows them to sell the car that has been longest in the dealership for a discounted price.

I find it unusual the demo car has a temp lic affixed to it as all other cars we have test drove over the years get a dealer tag for the short drive.

We have 2 questions: is the paper temp tag a normal "Hyunday" test drive procedure? Is $41K plus a fair price for a 2015 limited 3.8 that is used as a demo?

MoabGen

Registered Member
N/A
What package level? AWD or RWD? From the sounds of it, the e certificate is $12k off MSRP which is a great deal. $6k off MSRP is more typical for a good deal from what I've seen.

Noavt

Registered Member
What package level? AWD or RWD? From the sounds of it, the e certificate is $12k off MSRP which is a great deal. $6k off MSRP is more typical for a good deal from what I've seen.
The car is AWD Limited.

I am however disconcerted about it being advertised as new but having temp tags, which seems to indicate the car was previously sold/leased, making it by law a used car.

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
I think if that were the case (not new) there would be an inspection sticker on the car.

Curt@MSN

Been here awhile...
Madison, WI
The car is AWD Limited.

I am however disconcerted about it being advertised as new but having temp tags, which seems to indicate the car was previously sold/leased, making it by law a used car.
Ask to see the "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin" or MCO - if they have it then its NOT been titled before and is essentially a "new, never sold" vehicle as far as Hyundai is concerned.

When you buy it your dealer submits that to your state so it can be titled.

Curt

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
The car is AWD Limited.

What country do you live in?

In the US, there are the following trim levels for the 2015 3.8 V6 (in addition, they can be RWD or AWD):
  • Base
  • Signature Package
  • Technology Package
  • Ultimate Package
Each Package requires all the lower packages.

Check the Hyundai website for more info.

The issue of whether a car has been titled already has nothing to do with Hyundai, and is probably a state law issue. It does sound unusual to me that it would have temp tags if new, but maybe a deal fell through on a sale before it was titled. I would ask the dealer if it has been titled. Get the VIN number and try and verify that with CarFax or some other service, or your local state/county tax office.

MachoManRS

Registered Member
The car is AWD Limited.

Limited? Do you mean Ultimate? The Genesis does not have a Limited trim...

Genentec

Registered Member
i bet the dumb salesperson refers to it as limited, typical elantra salesperson trying to sell a genesis. total fail.

Limited? Do you mean Ultimate? The Genesis does not have a Limited trim...

MikeyTG

Registered Member
Joisey
In NJ a temp license plate means it has been registered, which to me says it is a used car.

Just keep one thing in mind - the dealer will tell you ANYTHING to get you to buy the car. Verify everything you are told by asking to see the paperwork, such as certificate of origin and manufacturer's window sticker; and verify the VIN on the car vs papers.

Noavt

Registered Member
Dear all:

Thank you for all the replies.

The car is loaded with the ultimate package and being sold in Ky. I will request the information as suggested to determine if the car had been titled to a previous owner.

I have been had by another dealership before (Mitsubishi) and thought I would consult a collective of more knowlegeable persons before making any kind of decisions.

MoabGen

Registered Member
N/A
In NJ a temp license plate means it has been registered, which to me says it is a used car.

Just keep one thing in mind - the dealer will tell you ANYTHING to get you to buy the car. Verify everything you are told by asking to see the paperwork, such as certificate of origin and manufacturer's window sticker; and verify the VIN on the car vs papers.
Ask for a copy of the maintenance records to verify the dealership hasn't had any unusual issues in a 1k mile car.

Aquineas

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Georgetown, TX
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Ask to see the "Manufacturers Certificate of Origin" or MCO - if they have it then its NOT been titled before and is essentially a "new, never sold" vehicle as far as Hyundai is concerned.

When you buy it your dealer submits that to your state so it can be titled.

Curt
Thanks Curt, that's very good info and new to me!

bball4032

Registered Member
There can really be only one reason for the car to have temp tags on it. A customer committed to purchase the vehicle, even going so far as signing the paperwork, and they backed out of the deal before taking delivery. This could be for a number of reasons. The wife could have said no, financing could have fallen through, he could have found a better deal elsewhere, or the customer could have lied about income/money down (because customers never lie).

Your salesperson is an idiot because the tags should have been removed immediately. Having another customer drive the vehicle with the tags on it just raise doubt and questions when in actuality it's fairly commonplace for customers to back out of deals.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
As soon as a customer drives the car off the lot, it needs a temp tag. But the deal may fall through before it is actually titled. Some dealers wait a week or two before submitting the paperwork for a title.

bball4032

Registered Member
As soon as a customer drives the car off the lot, it needs a temp tag. But the deal may fall through before it is actually titled. Some dealers wait a week or two before submitting the paperwork for a title.
Exactly right. Also, often times the MSO cannot be produced at the request of the interested party. Only smaller dealerships where the titling department is in house will that be possible. Our titling department is at our larger BMW store down the street, and it will be 15-20 days before you hold it in your hands. Money has to clear, financing must be booked, trade ins must have clear titles, etc. before you see your registration paperwork along with the MSO, not MCO.