• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Potential New owner with a few ?'s

Wellhungsmurf

Hasn't posted much yet...
Colorado
Hello all this is my first post!! I'm looking at the 5.0 R spec, but I have a few questions..

1) Why no manual tranny? I think auto's are good for rush hour traffic, but that's it. Auto's are not meant for car enthusiast... BMW 5 series offers a manual in their new 2013, Buick's good looking Regal GS has 6 speed manual, Cadillac CTS-V manual.. I won't buy a Mercedes because of no manual. So will the 2013 have a manual?

2) No paddle shifter either, which I may get used to. But the 5.0 R spec doesn't have that either, and from my research it's very slow and laggy when shifting manually. Is this true? How bad is the lag?

3) Anyone who has owned a 2008 or newer BMW 5 series, or newer Mercedes (from 1998-2005 they dropped in build quality) so after 05' how does the Genesis compair?

4) average MPG? and how many miles from your tires until they are toasted?

I know on paper it's a great bargin, but BMW 5 and 3 series drive so well, and have so much passion. Sooo any input would be great

thanks Genesis Owners!!!:)

Last edited:

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
1. no manual tranny

2. don't know

3. I have a BMW and 2005 Mercedes E500 which have both been very good and have 54000 miles on my 2011 Genesis 4.6 and have had no problems, near perfect car for the money. The Mercedes drives much better on bad roads and roads with lots of curves. the Genesis is great on the freeway and has better acceleration. Also the Genny has more room and less cost for maintenance.

Stoofpilot

Been here awhile...
Wilmington, NC
If your looking for a manual shift, then your looking at the wrong car for you. Don't let saving money drive you when your real goal is a stick shift sports sedan. Many of us have driven Lexus LS class sedans and felt that The new LS was nice yet not $70,000 nice. Instead, I ended up with a great car at $40,000 that almost drove as a true sports sedan.

EXBMWGUY

Been here awhile...
I believe you should take an extended test drive of the R-Spec yourself and evaluate how much car (interior room) you really need. The fact that you even mentioned the 3-Series tells me you don't need the interior space of the Genesis and would probably be happier in the new 3-Series.

With barely 10,000 miles in my car, I can't answer your tire question - gas mileage averages about 19 with about 70% city. My username should say I favor the R-Spec over the new generation 5, which is a very good car if you are prepared to have a somewhat more complicated life.

You owe it to yourself to spend some real seat time with the Genny. Good luck!

wallymn

Been here awhile...
MN
1. Just opinion but adding a manual tranny option would suggest this car is something it is not. this is (was) a flagship executive sedan (equus above it now is the flagship). It is NOT a full on sport sedan, it is a power executive sedan (think MB not BMW M)

2. Just my opinion but i don't think paddle shifters would help. paddles don't replace the software, so you would be fighting the slushbox, having driven other makes that offer paddles on a slushbox (no single or duel clutch setup) is frustrating.

If you are looking for a full on sports sedan this is not your car. Look to BWM M5 or MB Exxx AMG.

For MPG, I have the 2009 4.6 with the 6sp. I return 18-20 in city driving and 25ish on the highway.

My tires last about 25k miles. (I like to hear them chirp so wear is high).

Last edited:

Wellhungsmurf

Colorado
1. Just opinion but adding a manual tranny option would suggest this car is something it is not. this is (was) a flagship executive sedan (equus above it now is the flagship). It is NOT a full on sport sedan, it is a power executive sedan (think MB not BMW M)

2. Just my opinion but i don't think paddle shifters would help. paddles don't replace the software, so you would be fighting the slushbox, having driven other makes that offer paddles on a slushbox (no single or duel clutch setup) is frustrating.

If you are looking for a full on sports sedan this is not your car. Look to BWM M5 or MB Exxx AMG.

For MPG, I have the 2009 4.6 with the 6sp. I return 18-20 in city driving and 25ish on the highway.

My tires last about 25k miles. (I like to hear them chirp so wear is high).
But since I'm interested in the 5.0 type R spec, doesn't that sound like it deserves a manual? I agree leave the other trim levels auto, but if your calling a car "r-Spec" I think a 6 speed manaul should be a OPTION.

Well - Exbmwguy I have no kids, so I don't need a huge car. However, if I drive friends around or family I would like to have the space.. I'll go look at the r spec and see if I need the room..

Compairing interior size, is the Genesis a lot larger then the CTS-V? Anyone have a clue?

homeofstone

Registered Member
Athens, Georgia, USA
But since I'm interested in the 5.0 type R spec, doesn't that sound like it deserves a manual? I agree leave the other trim levels auto, but if your calling a car "r-Spec" I think a 6 speed manaul should be a OPTION.

Well - Exbmwguy I have no kids, so I don't need a huge car. However, if I drive friends around or family I would like to have the space.. I'll go look at the r spec and see if I need the room..

Compairing interior size, is the Genesis a lot larger then the CTS-V? Anyone have a clue?
Yes it is larger, mainly in the back seat and trunk.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I own an R Spec. I think you will be disappointed with the performance level if you're looking for a Sports Sedan. If you're looking for a "sporty" Sedan, then you will be pleased.

And here you go: http://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/?veh1=101387210|sedan&veh2=101397609|sedan&veh3=101420164|sedan&veh4=101408212&show=0|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8&comparatorId=7740306

Wellhungsmurf

Colorado
Considering the HUGE price difference between CTS - V and the R-Spec I'm leaning towards the r spec. I don't need a sports sedan, but I kinda thought them putting a "R spec" label on it, they would do a little more over the 4.6 to make it sportier.

Thanks for the info guys!

I wish some 2013 news would be leaked on the Genesis. If it will have paddle shifters or anything different

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Considering the HUGE price difference between CTS - V and the R-Spec I'm leaning towards the r spec. I don't need a sports sedan, but I kinda thought them putting a "R spec" label on it, they would do a little more over the 4.6 to make it sportier.

Thanks for the info guys!

I wish some 2013 news would be leaked on the Genesis. If it will have paddle shifters or anything different
According to some other threads posted recently, next major makeover for Genesis is 2014 model (fall 2013).

Wellhungsmurf

Colorado
Ok thanks for the info! I'm going to drive the Genesis R spec, and a few other sport sedans this weekend!

EDIT:
A top Hyundai executive in Korea has stated to Reuters that the company will bring a new Genesis sedan to market in calendar year 2013, and that it will be followed in 2014 by the next-generation Sonata

Last edited:

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
A top Hyundai executive in Korea has stated to Reuters that the company will bring a new Genesis sedan to market in calendar year 2013, and that it will be followed in 2014 by the next-generation Sonata
That's what I said. The next generation Genesis will be introduced in the fall of 2013 as a 2014 model. Might be a few months earlier if things go well, or it could be a few months late.

Ruissimo

Registered Member
Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
That's what I said. The next generation Genesis will be introduced in the fall of 2013 as a 2014 model. Might be a few months earlier if things go well, or it could be a few months late.
I guarantee you we will not see a redesigned Genesis IN SHOWROOMS in the US until at least late Summer 2014. Same thing happened with the '12s. Announced in fall, "available 1Q11", didn't show up on lots until late summer (my dealer still doesn't have any).

I try not to get too excited about redesigns until I see them. Redesigns don't mean "better-looking". I'm sure the tech will be far superior though (BlueLink, cooled seats, blind spot warning system, AWD, flux capacitor, etc).

Wellhungsmurf

Colorado
flux capacitor lol.. I don't think I can wait 1.5 2 years on a redesign.. It's either 5.0 R spec, CTS V (and eat noodles every day) or bmw 5 series.. Can't decide. If the 5.0 had manual or paddles I would have bought one already

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD

Considering that Ferrari and a few other exotic makers are going away from offering an MT, I don't know if that still holds true.

But it is true that the Genesis sedan an exec sedan/luxo cruiser w/ a bit of sport (the R-Spec trim) and not a sports sedan, but I would suspect that the next gen Genesis will be sportier since the current Genesis was still primarily developed for the Korean market while the new one will be developed with not only the US market being the focus, but for the European market as well.

It will likely be a little smaller and take other weight reduction measures and probably will have paddle shifters (at least for the "sport trim").

I guarantee you we will not see a redesigned Genesis IN SHOWROOMS in the US until at least late Summer 2014. Same thing happened with the '12s. Announced in fall, "available 1Q11", didn't show up on lots until late summer (my dealer still doesn't have any).

I try not to get too excited about redesigns until I see them. Redesigns don't mean "better-looking". I'm sure the tech will be far superior though (BlueLink, cooled seats, blind spot warning system, AWD, flux capacitor, etc).
On dealer lots in Korea late 2013, so I would expect sometime during the Summer of 2014 (probably around June) for the US release.

YEH

Registered Member
NYC/MD
Some info on the high-tech features available on the Kia K9; will likely see most, if not all of them on the next gen Genesis.

Kia Motors starts taking reservations for its all-new K9 flagship sedan, which goes on sale in South Korea on May 2nd!

When Kia K9 luxury sedan goes on sale next month, it is going to premiere a plethora of highly-advanced luxury features and technologies that have not been seen in any of the South-Korean-made vehicles till date.

The stylish K9 luxury sedan will boast a “shift by wire” system, or an electronic transmission lever, as opposed to a mechanical shift, which means a driver can shift gears more easily using a smoother joystick.

Also a new first among domestic luxury cars will be a head-up display and “flex steer” system. The second enables the driver to select a wide number of driving modes ( normal, eco, snow and sport) with each of them regulating the engine, transmission, steering and suspension to create an optimal balance between driving comfort, performance and fuel economy.

According to latest reports, the new Kia K9 will also offer an adaptive cruise control, which automatically adjusts the car’s distance from other vehicles. In addition, the K9 will also be equipped with Kia’s first-ever full adaptive LED headlamps and UVO telematics system that enables drivers to turn on the engine and air conditioning by using their smartphones.
http://www.kia-world.net/index.php/2012/04/12/official-new-kia-k9-engines-dimensions-luxury-features/#more-5635

jaboyd

Getting familiar with the group...
I enjoy my Rspec after owning an M5 for many years, but they are different cars. If you really want the interaction that a stick provides, I fully understand this style of driving, then choose something else. As far as paddle shifters go it would be like paddle shifters in the BMW 7 series, doubt they get much use because of the overall size and feel of the car. The Rspec is really a sport SEDAN leaning fowards the luxury sedan feel. I think it is more like a 550 BMW or a sportier 460 Lexus. A wonderful road car or casual backroad driver but not ideal for spirited driving. I get 26-28 mpg hwy, 20 mpg around town, much better than advertised.