Potholes and a $1000 repair ...

TOGuy242

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Toronto, ON
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
For the first time ever potholes have done me in. Was driving out in Mississauga yesterday and wasn't able to get out of the lane to avoid what was basically a crater in the road. I knew I hit it of course, but didn't know the damage until my TPMS started signaling within 30 seconds. Back driver's tire was completely blown, and the front has a bulge that I can say with some certainty wasn't there before. Thankfully I only have a couple thousand kms on them, so should be able to get away with replacing just the two versus the whole set. I am REALLY hoping my rear rim wasn't damaged, but I can't tell from looking at it.

On the upside, while I knew the theory on how to put on a spare wheel, I had never done it before. I can say that while a pain, it was do-able.

Been looking online for replacements (Sottozero 3, 225/45, 18") and pretty much finding a consistent $300-$325 per. Not sure if anyone knows any magical place in Canada that sells them magically cheaper??

50jae

Hasn't posted much yet...
PA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I know the feeling after hitting a crater last week, my stomach sank along with the car. Hope your rims are ok but should get it checked out just to make sure, along with your suspension components. I got mine checked on Friday because my impact was quite bad and I assumed something must've been damaged but luckily they found no damage. Hopefully you only need to replace your tires.

I drive like a grandma now whenever I drive over unfamiliar roads or if I see even a hint of a different pattern on the oncoming road.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I know the feeling after hitting a crater last week, my stomach sank along with the car. Hope your rims are ok but should get it checked out just to make sure, along with your suspension components. I got mine checked on Friday because my impact was quite bad and I assumed something must've been damaged but luckily they found no damage. Hopefully you only need to replace your tires.

I drive like a grandma now whenever I drive over unfamiliar roads or if I see even a hint of a different pattern on the oncoming road.
Watch out for water. I was on the highway and the rain stopped but there were still puddles. One of the puddles was a big pothole. Minor ding on the rim, but a hell of a jolt.

xboarder

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Rain + Winter melt caused for some pretty spectacular views as cars drove through a foot of water yesterday. Huge sprays coming off the sides.
And also carnage - lots of plastic parts were seen floating on top.

Having made this mistake with my previous car, where the plastic under tray/shield was damaged and some of the heat shielding ripped off, I take it nice and slow when I don't know how deep the puddles are.

In my city, they will only consider paying for damages if someone had previously reported the pot hole. And similar to other reports, chances are slim that they will pay for the fix... worth a shot if you have time and energy!

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
reason #14 why i'm not a fan of the 'tire inflator repair kit' that replaces a physical spare tire/wheel on my Sport. that kit won't do anything for a completely blown out sidewall. of course there is roadside assistance, but i'd much rather get my hand dirty and be on my way within 15 minutes than sit around and wait for an hour+, get my car trailered, and still have to resolve the flat tire repair. no bueno. i'd gladly sacrifice the performance hit that an extra 45lbs would cost me. i can always remove the spare for track days or when max performance was needed.

Last edited:

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
reason #14 why i'm not a fan of the 'tire inflator repair kit' that replaces a physical spare tire/wheel on my Sport. that kit won't do anything for a completely blown out sidewall. of course there is roadside assistance, but i'd much rather get my hand dirty and be on my way within 15 minutes than sit around and wait for an hour+, get my car trailered, and still have to resolve the flat tire repair. no bueno. i'd gladly sacrifice the performance hit that an extra 45lbs would cost me. i can always remove the spare for track days or when max performance was needed.
All for the sake of weight distribution.
You don't want 49:51

immo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Did anybody buy the tire protection plain thing? Replaces your tire if there was damage, I think. Just wanted to know how that was.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Did anybody buy the tire protection plain thing? Replaces your tire if there was damage, I think. Just wanted to know how that was.
I don't know if other dealerships had the same thing, but my dealership offered a rim protection plan. I declined it again and again as he lowered the price. Didn't think it was worth it because the roads here aren't too bad, also I am thinking of buying aftermarket rims. Even so, I'm starting to think it was actually a pretty good deal and I should have gotten it.

immo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I don't know if other dealerships had the same thing, but my dealership offered a rim protection plan. I declined it again and again as he lowered the price. Didn't think it was worth it because the roads here aren't too bad, also I am thinking of buying aftermarket rims. Even so, I'm starting to think it was actually a pretty good deal and I should have gotten it.
My mother bought one for her mercedes, apparently the best money she spent since Canadian potholes are no joke. She's always boasting about how she already got her money's worth lol.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
My mother bought one for her mercedes, apparently the best money she spent since Canadian potholes are no joke. She's always boasting about how she already got her money's worth lol.
Well shit. Haha.

scorp99cam

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I was about to buy it (mainly because of this thread) until I googled the company offering the warranty and saw the terrible reviews and decided against it. Lot of complaints about not covering rim damage for BS reasons.

Toddasaurus

Registered Member
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I was about to buy it (mainly because of this thread) until I googled the company offering the warranty and saw the terrible reviews and decided against it. Lot of complaints about not covering rim damage for BS reasons.
Hmmm... That's kind of what I was assuming when the sales manager was trying to get me to buy it, thinking I'm sure they would come up with some dumb reason not to cover possible rim damage. Good to know, I feel less bad now. Haha.

immo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Hmmm... That's kind of what I was assuming when the sales manager was trying to get me to buy it, thinking I'm sure they would come up with some dumb reason not to cover possible rim damage. Good to know, I feel less bad now. Haha.
Oh, that's actually good to know... Now I know.

BillN

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I usually never buy any add-on warranties when I buy a car, but I did buy a package this time that included rim and tire damage. 6 weeks after picking up my new G80, I really scraped the front and rear passenger-side wheels driving through the bank drive-thru. Besides the wheel scrape, the right rear tire had a big piece of rubber hanging loose. I called Pugi Genesis service manager, he picked up the car under the concierge service, fixed the two damaged rims, and replaced the tire, no questions asked as far as the warranty I bought from them. This claim itself paid for the warranty, and it still has 4½ years to go!

immo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I usually never buy any add-on warranties when I buy a car, but I did buy a package this time that included rim and tire damage. 6 weeks after picking up my new G80, I really scraped the front and rear passenger-side wheels driving through the bank drive-thru. Besides the wheel scrape, the right rear tire had a big piece of rubber hanging loose. I called Pugi Genesis service manager, he picked up the car under the concierge service, fixed the two damaged rims, and replaced the tire, no questions asked as far as the warranty I bought from them. This claim itself paid for the warranty, and it still has 4½ years to go!
Okay... so DEFINITELY pay for the protection is what you're saying. Still trying to figure out if I should or should not. Sorry if I sound a bit brusque and sarcastic in my replies, I sometimes can't get the tone right in my written messages...

xboarder

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
And..... It happened to me yesterday. Hit a pot hole, front and rear. The TPS went off instantly for the rear.
$530 later - New tire, install and alignment.
Thankfully the rim was OK.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.