Power Stall when turning left to change lanes in stop and go traffic

Thread starter #1

bill's2013genesis

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a 2013 Genesis Sedan, 3.8 V6. When in traffic, engine seems to stall when trying to make lane change from right lane to left lane in heavy traffic. anyone have this happen? When you need to go, you need to go and there is a hesitation, then the car takes off and goes, meanwhile the delay could cause a collision in heavy traffic situations. Has happened twice. Have only had the car for 2 weeks and has just a little over 300 miles on it.

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
You might also notice a delay/hesitation when pulling out into streets too, right?

I asked my friend about this (Master Tech for Hyundai and went to school for the Genesis) and he told me that it's the ESC being really protective of the tires. I have confirmed this as when I click off the ESC and try to change lanes in heavy traffic, or pull out onto a street, I roast the rear tires. Try it with ESC off next time and see if your problem persists.

OFG

Thread starter #3

bill's2013genesis

OFG, Thanks for your efforts to solve my problem. I will try switching to the off position on the ESC switch and see how it acts. Thanks again for your tip. I went onto YouTube and there is a video regarding just what the ESC function provides for the vehicle. Quite informative to say the least. I am a driver that likes to control my vehicle myself and when an electric control thinks it has a better idea, that gets to be a little much for me.

Bill

Last edited:

nanustud

Bill.... was wondering if you got your stalled problem resolved since i am getting the same feeling in my 2013 3.8 Genny tried turning off the ESC but that doesnt help much rather hurts the rear tires. I did had a couple of instances where my RPM shot up to 3500 -4000 and i simply couldn't accelerate and then all of a sudden there was this release of energy and it lurches forward.

Thread starter #7

bill's2013genesis

Regarding power stall with our Genesis's, I think I have created my own problem regarding the power stall, in that I am a driver that always brakes with my left foot. The Electronic Control System seems to sense the fact that I have a little brake still applied with my left foot, while attempting to accelerate with my right foot. I am still trying to determine if this is a fact. I tried turning the ECS switch off but I had no power stall. The power stall seems to happen when I least expect it therefore I am still not sure my left foot braking habit is the cause. I am not one to run to the dealer with every little problem for fear I could end up with a worse problem.

Bill

gerald mcc

I have the same problem w/my genesis but differ in fact that when i turn right, the vechicle stalls and then lunges forward after i have depressed the accelerator about a third. I have 1700 mi. and it has happened about a dozen times. The dealers mechanic told me to take my left foot off of the break. Said i was "confusing the engine". Good mechanic. Hope the problem is with the ESC.

kman

Registered Member
What you experience could also be due to the transmission. If you search this forum it was talked about to a large extent. There are instances where the revs are going up, but none of the power is applied to the wheels, the car just coasts, and then power is applied (1 to 2 seconds too late) and your head almost snaps off. Happened to me a few times making left turns or when trying to change a lane quickly to get in front of an approaching car. Very dangerous and there are reports about it on the NTHSA website. If this is what you experience I would report it as well.

bendriver

This is a huge issue with me. I have a 2013 Genesis V6 purchased in April last year, so not yet a year old. Hesitation has been an issue since it was new. I went to two dealers with this complaint and both said all was well. Not true: car has serious hesitation when I attempt to change lanes or otherwise accelerate and slow speeds. Is it a transmission issue or engine? Not sure. But no question: torque is not available at certain RPM's. As a result, I've had several near misses when attempting to change lanes. Once when attempting - from a rolling start - to cross 4 lanes of boulevard traffic the car hesitated and wallowed around to the point I thought it would stall. No Joy! I consider this a serious problem and reported it to the NTSB.

I bought this car because I wanted a performance sedan; it is not. It is true that at high speeds this car performs well, but most of us are not driving across the desert at 90mph plus. What we need is low and mid range torque available so we may negotiate city traffic safely.

I suspect with some computer modifications this could be fixed, albeit with some loss of fuel economy. But so far, I've seen no movement on the part of Hyundai. Sadly, for me, I will be going back to BMW. More dough for sure, but they do perform when needed.

Vince2

Registered Member
"I've seen no movement on the part of Hyundai." and you will not. They might make a publicized move, if an official, NHTSA type complaint was placed. I don't know if other car companies are silent when presented with a common problem but Hyundai sure is. What they will do is correct the problem/feature in a future vehicle leaving us owners of the previous version on our own. One such example: the suspension was "massaged" after 2009 and 2010 with very little public notice. I'm now talking to Hyundai Customer service about a radio issue. I've talked to no less than five separate, customer service agents and none has heard of the problem! I don't think that's possible. It's just the Hyundai way (others?). Maybe this is a dollar and cents deal: deny a problem until forced and then deal with it as cheaply as possible. That's business I guess.

beefbowl

2013 Genesis sedan 3.8L which I bought it March of 2013 10500 miles on it, lost power driving on highway yesterday and end up blocking one of lane. I was pretty scared until DOT showed up and pushed me to the shoulder. I called Hyundai Roadside assistance and tow truck finally came out after 2 hours. :( Anyway, my car was dropped off at the dealer, hopping to be fixed, but service man said, car started up just fine and didn't find anything from diagnostic test. I have no clue now, could anyone who had this problem help me what I supposed to ask the dealer to fix this. I'm sure it's going to happen again and it's getting scare to drive this car.

SoCal
You may be riding the brakes and not realise it. That's the problem with left foot brakers. I see it all the time. Brake lights on but they are accelerating. Try driving without brakeing with your left foot. Keep it on the floor away from the brake pedal. See if that makes any difference.

If you are 100% sure that your foot is not on the pedal in any manner and it's still doing it, then yes, file a complaint with Hyundai.

amartz

Registered Member
Jacksonville, FL
This has been as issue with my 2012 3.8 also. I'm sure the ESC plays a factor, but the biggest part, imho, is the transmission taking it's sweet old time trying to decide which gear to shift down into. And while you are waiting for it to decide, and the traffic behind you is growing real big in your mirror, your right foot is pushing harder on the gas, until it slams down into 2rd or 3rd gear, and off to the drag races!

CAKaus

Just submitted complaint to NHTSA - 2012 Genesis Sedan, 6 cylinder engine, stalls. Usually stalls at low speed, as when coming to a stop and turning at the same time - that is, slowing to turn. One time out of at least 8 times in 2 years of owning this car (leased it new in March 2012) it did stall while driving at 45 mph. This is a serious problem. Almost had terrible accident just a short time ago. Dealership says nothing wrong - nothing they can do - but I will be pursuing this asap and much more forcefully now.

nanustud

Had the same issue filed complaint with NHTSA and with Hyundai as well, once thing i noticed was the soon i realize i'm not getting any power from the engine i immediately take my foot off the gas pedal for a sec (rather than keep pressing it) and then press it again this somehow solves the problem. I don't think ESC has anything to do with it , its more of a onboard computer that needs a update.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.