• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Power steering Issues?

zAlucarDz

Hampton Roads, Va
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Afternoon,

I have had my 2011 Genesis Sedan 4.6 now for about 3 months and one thing has been nagging me and I cannot figure out if this is normal for these cars or not. When driving above 40mph the steering stiffens to the point it feels like I'm driving without power steering. Now small input say i move the wheel a few degrees clock wise or counter clock wise its not noticeable. Now say if I am driving spiritedly on a road like there are a few turns that are long that can be taken at above 40 speeds the wheel I have to crank and fight against it to turn. Also if decelerating while doing this once it drops to about 35 its almost like power steering kicks back in and because I'm turning so hard I jerk the wheel. I have checked the power steering fluid and it was a little low and refilled it with Hyundai recommended fluid but no change. Is this normal for these cars? I know they have electronic assist with adaptive steering.

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
That's the adaptive part. Faster driving stiffens the feel of the wheel. But I haven't noticed anything really radical. You might talk to the dealership about it if you are concerned. BTW, shifting to sport mode will stiffen the steering response as well.

chrev

Registered Member
Raleigh, NC
I had an issue where my rack was leaking fluid overnight. It wasn't coming out the car and the dealership couldn't figure out where it was going. The ended up replacing the entire steering rack. My symptoms were it would feel like the car had no power steering especially when cold and at speed. It sounds very similar to yours. I have a 2011 4.6 genesis. They decided to replace the rack when they refilled the reservior but kept the car overnight and the problem was still there.

In-House Bob

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
That's a problem with new cars with lots of plastic underneath. It used to be if there was a leak you could just look under the car and see where the drip was coming from. With the new underpanels, all the drips end up in a puddle in the middle of the panel. Of course, newer cars don't develop drips nearly so often as they used to... #63DodgeDartGT