• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Programming garage door to HomeLink

PittHappens

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Is anyone else having trouble trying to program the garage door to HomeLink? I have a 2019 G70 with a Genie opener but I do NOT have a remote with the opener. My last vehicle I was able to push the learn button on the opener itself and it programmed to my car very easily. I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out. Please help!!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Is anyone else having trouble trying to program the garage door to HomeLink? I have a 2019 G70 with a Genie opener but I do NOT have a remote with the opener. My last vehicle I was able to push the learn button on the opener itself and it programmed to my car very easily. I cannot, for the life of me, figure this out. Please help!!
Buy a Genie remote, program it, then program the car with it. I don't know of any way around it.

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
Funny, this on the timing of this thread - I attempted to program my 3 cars' Homelink yesterday, but only was able program my 2018 Outback's Homelink and not my wife's 2012 Optima, or my Genesis.:poop:

Starflyer

Hasn't posted much yet...
Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
FWIW, I bought my G80 15 months ago. One of the first things I did was program the Homelink. We have a Chamberlain opener. I going to take a wild guess and say during the first 5-6 months, the G80 "forgot" the programing maybe 4 times. I even took the car to the dealer who said they could do nothing. THEN, after the 5-6 month period, the door opener using Homelink has been rock study without changing anything in the Homelink procedure. Still, I hold my breath everytime I hit the button.

NOTE: My previous ride was a '12 Range Rover Evoque and the Homelink in that one never did work with the Chamberlain. My nextdoor neighbor also had an Evoque and he had the same problem.

G-810528

Have you put in any LED light bulbs in the vicinity of the opener?
If this is for me, yes and no. I do have 3 LED lights on my porch, but they only come on after dark.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
How old is the garage door opener? For my wife's '15 Genesis, I never could get it programmed. Researched and tried for far too long. It became a quest akin to a life's mission just so I could claim victory...but I finally gave up. I was using a new remote with my 15 year old Genie (didn't have the original remote) but just couldn't get it to work on the car. I have a '15 Genesis as well but haven't tried to program it to open the garage. I'm concerned it will become another time consuming and frustrating event that ultimately ends in defeat so I just use a remote. Fit's nicely in the cup holder.

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
On my Chamberlain, I had to press the program button on the unit itself and then the learn button on the car to pick it up. Nothing involved the remote.

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
How old is the garage door opener? For my wife's '15 Genesis, I never could get it programmed. Researched and tried for far too long. It became a quest akin to a life's mission just so I could claim victory...but I finally gave up. I was using a new remote with my 15 year old Genie (didn't have the original remote) but just couldn't get it to work on the car. I have a '15 Genesis as well but haven't tried to program it to open the garage. I'm concerned it will become another time consuming and frustrating event that ultimately ends in defeat so I just use a remote. Fit's nicely in the cup holder.
+1 on that question, there were some changes with some garage door openers a few years ago, I had the issue 'the reverse way" last year when we moved in our brand new home (new construction, therefore brand new garage door opener), I could program the homelink in my wife's 2016 Mazda CX9 but I spent 1 hour trying with my '2011 BMW and gave up, found that for cars built before 2013 or 2014 I would need a special adapter that relays the "old style code" to the new garage door opener. I would expect something similar to be the case between a new car and an old garage door openers?

scottdk

Registered Member
Minnesota
+1 on that question, there were some changes with some garage door openers a few years ago, I had the issue 'the reverse way" last year when we moved in our brand new home (new construction, therefore brand new garage door opener), I could program the homelink in my wife's 2016 Mazda CX9 but I spent 1 hour trying with my '2011 BMW and gave up, found that for cars built before 2013 or 2014 I would need a special adapter that relays the "old style code" to the new garage door opener. I would expect something similar to be the case between a new car and an old garage door openers?
As in you think we need one of those rolling code repeater things for us to program our older vehicles to Homelink?

cvandenhaute

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
As in you think we need one of those rolling code repeater things for us to program our older vehicles to Homelink?
I think reverse: you may need a new garage door opener to work with your newer car, not sure there is a similar "repeater" that they offer for making Homelink in older cars work with newer door opener...

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums