Programming homelink mirror to garage door receivers with rolling code technology

What set of instructions were you using. Homelink are usually pretty easy to do. If you can't get it to work you may have filled up the available memory inthe door motor control unit clearing the memory instrucitons will be found your users manual

Mine worked on the first try also. And I even accidentally cleared the receiver last week, and the recoding again only took 30 seconds.

BTW---
I'm investigating what it takes to make the other buttons turn on my home lighting. I use X10 all over the house. According to HomeLink's website, the transmitter in our mirrors will trigger the X10 RF receivers. So... I'll keep everyone posted, if there is interest.

Anyone doing this now?

dond13

Been here awhile...
Round Rock, Tx
I just got my Genesis 4.6 last Thursday, 2/12, and tried about 15 times to program my Homelink to button 2. I have rolling codes on my opener and have programmed Homelinks in several cars, so I know how to do it. By accident, I used button 1 and it worked the first time, which indicates to me that button 2 must be at fault. I tried to look up the TSB 8-BE-012, but the links that I have used contain no description of the problems that it corrects. What link gives a description, or do I have to subscribe to something to look at TSB contents?

dond13

Been here awhile...
Round Rock, Tx
Never mind. I have the contents of the TSB. I just didn't save it in a directory that I normally use for downloading pdf files. My bad.

gipp

Been here awhile...
New Jersey
Many economy model garage door openers built before 1997 had non secure coding and came from the factory operating on a single frequency that HomeLink does not pick up. In order to fix this you need to set a new frequency on the head unit of the garage door opener. You will usually find from 4 to 6 wires that need to be cut to set a new frequency. Most of these units do not have a "learn mode". You then need to match your hand held remote to that frequency by cutting the corresponding wires in the remote. Homelink should be able to pick up the new frequency code that you have created from the newly set remote.

Canadian

Getting familiar with the group...
Thanks for the TSB! Following the owner's manual, I was able to program one door but when I did the 2nd, it erased the 1st. It's the following line in the TSB that DOESN'T appear in the manual that makes all the difference: "NOTE: Do not perform this step when training the additional HomeLink buttons."

I really don't know how this rolling code thing works, however a few weeks ago, my garage opener quit. It was the older "Non" rolling code opener, so when the guy came and installed a new unit with the rolling code, the only thing I saw him do different (compared to the old system) was after we put the code into the car from the hand held units, one at a time, his assistent pushed on some button in the unit in the garage. Had to do it after every button in the car was pushed.

He knew what he was doing, and it works fine. Now I hope I never have problems with it because the opener instructions are put away, and I don't want to dig them out to "read the manual".

SCVDon

Registered Member
I really don't know how this rolling code thing works, however a few weeks ago, my garage opener quit. It was the older "Non" rolling code opener, so when the guy came and installed a new unit with the rolling code, the only thing I saw him do different (compared to the old system) was after we put the code into the car from the hand held units, one at a time, his assistent pushed on some button in the unit in the garage. Had to do it after every button in the car was pushed.

He knew what he was doing, and it works fine. Now I hope I never have problems with it because the opener instructions are put away, and I don't want to dig them out to "read the manual".
Yeah, that's pretty much how you do it. Each transmitter has to be programmed from the opener's remote, but then you need to tell the opener's head unit that that new transmitter is authorized by putting it into the learn mode while at the same time you push the transmitter's button. Doesn't matter if it is a homelink transmitter in our Genesis or even a new remote from the maker of the opener. I found that after you program the head unit that I had to do a final quick "blip" on the learn mode button to take the unit out of learn. That wasn't listed as a step in the opener's manual. Don't know if that was just my brand's quirky electronics or if all brands have that final step in their programming.

SouthGrin

Hasn't posted much yet...
Alabama
ONE word in the owner's manual made what should have been a short 45 second process stretch into 2 days!! I have an 08 Wayne Dalton Prodrive opener. The Genesis manual references the "learn" button on my motor unit. Indeed, I have a "learn" button and I pushed it, oh . . . 25 times. Long-story-short . . . push the PROGRAM button NOT the learn button. Assuming you have successfully paired the HOMELINK system with your transmitter (solid red button when pushed) - push the PROGRAM button on the motor unit then run back to the car and push your programmed button for 2-3 seconds. The motor unit will blink 2 or 3 times and PRESTO!!

mateo de la hoja

Read the manual, followed the manual, zero success. Read BaywayRic's .pdf, followed BaywayRic's .pdf, complete success.

Mine has no "learn" or "smart" button. But I do have an unlabeled small black button. So, I pushed it hoping this would be right, then pushed the homelink button in Genesis, and BINGO, down goes the garage door. Gracias!

BocaDave

Been here awhile...
Boca Raton, FL
:welcome: After 1 hour of frustration, I Googled the problem and got a link to the Homelink manufacturers home page.

Their instructions were clear, quick and worked the 1st time.

Thank heavens I only buy a new car every few years, because I'd hate to go through this process again any time soon.

Here's the link so you don't have to suffer the way I did: http://www.homelink.com/programming/programming.taf?do=2

JOwest

Been here awhile...
I wonder if other people have the same problems I have with my Homelink control in the car and the Garage door opener. The Homelink control in my Gen works fine for the first 6 or 7 months then it stopped working on occasions. Sometime the garage door opener response to the control other times it ignored the signal. This also happened on my Audi A6's Homelink control as well.

I wonder if other people have the same problems I have with my Homelink control in the car and the Garage door opener. The Homelink control in my Gen works fine for the first 6 or 7 months then it stopped working on occasions. Sometime the garage door opener response to the control other times it ignored the signal. This also happened on my Audi A6's Homelink control as well.
My Gen is now 1 year old and Homelink has work flawlessly the entire time. I just moved and am ready to reprogram. Like everyone else, I needed a refresher so HERE is where I came!
Phil

ehayden1

Great post. I can certainly understand (and felt) the frustration some people have had.

I have a 9 year old Chamberlain Liftmaster security+ rolling code garage door opener. To add to the fun, I also have 4 cars and an outside wireless keypad (5 wireless remotes all with rolling codes). My particular opener model may cause the same situation many others are suffering from where other openers work flawlessly first time with the genesis homelink and for some strange reason another won't.

In my situation, the 2009 Genesis instructions for homelink didn't work no matter how many times I pressed the learn button and ran to the car and pressed the homelink button after erasing and prepping it to join. It acted like the homelink defaulted to some frequency the opener was not currently operating on.

Trying anything afterwards, I noticed I could clone one of my existing remotes easier than "learning" from the opener directly. Yea! I thought I was done but later found the fallout was if I cloned a security+ remote I already owned for another car, it would only work for either the Genesis Homelink or the remote but not both. The opener was doing exactly as designed. It read the current authorized key (generated from billions) and then silently generates a new key for the next time. When the second person opened the door from the cloned-from remote, their remote was programmed with the former code so was ignored by the opener.

So, simple as it seems after reprogramming all remotes at least 4 times, ugg, I just went and bought another security+ remote (cheap miniture model) that worked on the frequency of my 9 year old opener (yes it is important, the frequencies changed 2005ish for Chamberlain) and cloned it to my Genesis homelink so it had its own individual remote to clone from. Now my Genesis Homelink works like a champ, first time and every time with rolling codes.

The other remotes were not touched so was able to keep all of them with their own individual rolling codes. So, I had to waste a little bit of money on a 6th remote but I just put the new remote in my Genesis glove box in case the Homelink malfunctioned. Don't give it to someone to use or your Genesis Homelink won't work again! ha. There could be a TSB on the subject but wasn't worth sending in the car to be reprogrammed. My Toyotas have homelink and they program better with their own remote to clone too so just kept the same process for all cars. I imagine it is the model Liftmaster opener I have.

Not faulting Hyundai or Homelink, the directions are so clear, just they didn't work with my model rolling code opener without having to pick up a new remote. I couldn't find another way to do it any easier following the directions and not going to the dealer.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.