Protective Film

alphagen

Hasn't posted much yet...
3M (& others) make a protective clear film that is applied on the bumper, hood, door handles to protect from scratches. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the product?​

TJPark01

Been here awhile...
Hollywood, CA
3M (& others) make a protective clear film that is applied on the bumper, hood, door handles to protect from scratches. Does anyone have any experience or opinions about the product?​

Some people accept chips and scratches as part of doing business. I have the clearbra (venturesheild) on my BMW but not the Genesis. The bumper on the Genesis has many nicks but the hood is flawless. The bra is worth it if you plan on keeping the car a long time and you are a bit neurotic about keeping it clean and chip free. However, it's not cheap and the installer has to be very good or else it can look totally ridiculous.

upsbroke

Registered Member
Kansas
My estimate for 3M was $699 plus $123 for headlights, $58 to tuck the edges and another 18% if I wanted Nanofusion used instead of 3M. Sorry- too much money for my blood.

alphagen

the quotes I have are $275 for the bumper (tucked). 24 inches of the hood, fenders, back of mirrors and door handle cups another $350. I have a black car so that is why I was considering it. Appreciate your feedback/opinions. I do plan on keeping the car for a while.

drjay9051

Getting familiar with the group...
Don't you see seams in the film.. On a black car I would think dirt would be very visible at a seam or end of film. How do they (installers) deal with hood emblems??

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Had it on a black Sonata, and if you take a little bit extra time and a q-tip you can eliminate that 'seam'.

For the Genesis, I was quoted $550 for the full protective film.

:)

stars9texashockey

I have it on my 2009 Infiniti G37 coupe and love it. Paid around $600 in San Antonio and thought it was a good investment as this car will be my son's college graduation present in 2013. Haven't yet sprung for the Genesis.

AshleyTayla

Northern NY
I purchased my 2010 used and it already had the 3M on the front bumper, mirrors, and doors. Yesterday, a friend crushed a curb in my car and I brought it to the shop today for an estimate. The body shop I went to loves me & will put in a claim for not only my bumper/primer/paint, but also the 3M protective film. The issue will be finding a shop in my area that applies the film. The shop I got the estimate from doesn't currently offer it & didn't know of anyone who did. I'm traveling to Boston next week and am sure I can find somewhere in that area that will not only accept my insurance but handle the work, I'm just not sure how I go about doing this. Anyone know how to find shops that are familiar with the application process?

EXBMWGUY

Been here awhile...
I have the VentureShield and I like it. This is such a high-margin item for dealers that you can usually negotiate a reduction. I paid $499 for bumper, partial hood and extension down fenders, mirrors and four door edges.

The Q-Tip and a little patience and the seam is not that noticeable. There are some people who will express condolences that somebody "keyed" your car, however. That happened on my BMW a couple of times, and before I told them what it really was, asked, "did you see how straight the scratch was?" :D

gameday22

Been here awhile...
Florida
I didn't have the hood done but did get the bumper, fenders, both mirrors, rocker panels, headlights and fog lights fully protected, plus they put a strip along the lip of the rear bumper where you would load stuff into the trunk.

I'm glad I had the headlights done..was going down the highway and heard something hit the car body at a high speed, didn't know where it hit at the time but noticed a long line in the Armour on the left headlight, after a day in the FL sun the line just disappeared/self healed. The protection from love bugs alone makes it well worth the money and enhances the resale value of your car.

Had mine done locally for $425, 3M Armour kit with 5 year warranty.

rjchristensen

Have a clear bra installed on my 2015 Genesis 3.8 AWD Ultimate package.
I have it installed on all my toys.
Works great and will never wear away the paint like a bra..
I did:
full front bumper
full hood
full fenders
windshield pillars
roof above the windshield
door handle cups
door edges
Side view mirrors
Basically anywhere there could be the possibility of a rock chipping the paint.
Installed $1000

G530

Registered Member
can anyone recommend professional clear bra installation for orange county or LA area in southern california? TIA

dg_moore

Been here awhile...
Maryland
I had a full front Ventureshield wrap (front end, hood, fenders, mirror backs) done on my 2010 when it was new. It worked really well, but after 7 years was getting very spiderwebby so I removed it (not the easiest job in the world). Upon removal I could see that the film had yellowed a bit (not noticeable on my black car, but might have been if the car had been a lighter color). I'm pleased to report that the paint under the film was completely flawless - it looks brand new. I'm glad I got the film, but don't plan to reapply it. I don't drive much any more, and the car is in the garage most of the time and still looks new.

Lord Humunculous

Supporting Member
Texas
holy necrobump of a necrobump! let me assists! glad to hear it looks good, that says the install was proper. I need to get my front end done... bumper, fenders, full hood, mirrors, lower doors front, redo of the dealer installed partial rocker (pathetic job Humble Hyundai!), and handle cups. Not as critical in TX, but I am moving to CO, so yeah, GOT to have it done prior to that point. I am fortunate enough to have ZERO dings so far, but I am one of those guys that drops everyone off at the door then parks half a mile away taking up 2 spots. Additionally I treat my paint like the Arc, so it's well protected, but the only real barrier is a good clear bra.

BARRYW

Delaware
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I had standard 3M on 3 Lexus vehicles and Expel on the fourth. Liked it and it keeps the value up on luxury cars. Any chips, dings, and they will hit you hard on trade in value. On my new G80 I used a product called Sun Tek. Talked to two different installers and they stated it was the best on the market. Easier to install as it stretches better and had the entire front end done and tucked, and the backs of the mirrors. Did a good job. Whether the seam shows is dependent on the color of your car. My G80 is Patagonia Blue and if you did know it was on there I doubt you would see it. On black and some other dark colors it is more noticeable. I stay away from dealer install and use a highly recommended installer, who deals mainly in high end vehicles. Was doing a Mercedes AMG and a Nissan GT when I brought my car in for install.

Mathi

TN
I just recently purchased a 2015 Genesis sedan and since I haul my golf clubs in the trunk, I decided to get the Hyundai rear bumper protector film. The first place I checked it was $85. Ridiculous. The next place I checked it was $76. Then I found it on sale for $74. I wasn't thrilled at playing this amount for a piece of plastic film. So before I pulled the trigger on a purchase I decided to check Amazon even though they are rarely the cheapest option. They had it for $23. Needless to say since I'm a prime member, it was a no brainer. Just goes to show you never know til you check all options.

The Manufacturer Part Number:B1031-ADU00

steve72852

I had a product called 'Stoneguard' installed on my 2003 350Z when I bought it. It's been garaged in Houston with little or no sunlight. 24K MI. Conclusion: It worked well for 15 years but is beginning to craze. Thicker stuff on headlights OK but film on hood and fenders is failing. Pretty sure it was 3M. At some point this stuff is past it's sell by date ... IMO

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners