• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Proximity Card Key?

whitehurst

Hasn't posted much yet...
Atlanta, GA
Does anybody use the proximity card key for their G80? The idea of not having to carry a key (rather, just a card in my wallet) certainly seems intriguing - but not sure it is worth $295!

Also, the regular key fob includes a backup physical key to unlock the door, in case something goes wrong. I guess if you only carry the card you could get stuck. GarnetTy1473 clarified below that the card key does include a very thin physical key.

Card Key - Credit card-sized, this proximity key option offers a sleek design and fits easily into a purse or wallet.

Last edited:

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
$295 seems steep, but then what does a key fob for the G80 cost? Something tells me it's also in the several hundred dollar range.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
$295 seems steep, but then what does a key fob for the G80 cost? Something tells me it's also in the several hundred dollar range.
List price for the key and fob on a G80 is $256.98, so slightly cheaper. The fob and key insert are sold separately. Neither that, or the $295 for the card key includes programming either, which varies from dealer to dealer.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
So basically the same price. Doesn’t seem any more unreasonable than a regular key fob to me. I’ve thought about getting one, and still might, but I’m not sure where to put it when I’m home since it won’t hang on our key rack and I don’t know that keeping it in a wallet where it can flex is such a good idea.

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
My current 2015 Canadian Genesis came with the card-key. I've had it in my wallet ever since purchasing and have never had a problem and only replaced the battery once (when a message displayed on the dash that the battery was low). No issues with flexing either. It's a great feature and love not having to carry a key fob!

Windchaser

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I doubt it would work for me. My wallet blocks RFID signals so I doubt the keycard would work in my wallet.

Starflyer

Seattle WA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I also have a wallet that blocks RFID signals. While blocking RFID might be a good thing, the main reason I have this feature is to prevent my credit cards from dying due to coming close to magnets. Got tired of replacing my credit cards.

This option sounds interesting to me. If I had one of these proximity cards in my wallet and I had to take it out to start the vehicle, could I then put it back in my wallet without shutting down the engine because of RFID shielding? IMHO, the Genesis key fobs are a bit on the big side while in my pants pocket.

whitehurst

Atlanta, GA
This option sounds interesting to me. If I had one of these proximity cards in my wallet and I had to take it out to start the vehicle, could I then put it back in my wallet without shutting down the engine because of RFID shielding? IMHO, the Genesis key fobs are a bit on the big side while in my pants pocket.
My *guess* is the car would keep running, but annoy you with a message on the dash saying the key cannot be found in the vehicle.

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
I also have a wallet that blocks RFID signals. While blocking RFID might be a good thing, the main reason I have this feature is to prevent my credit cards from dying due to coming close to magnets. Got tired of replacing my credit cards.

I've not bothered with a RFID shielded wallet. Just not that worried about it. That being said, I do carry various cards and have never had a problem with any of them dying due to coming close to magnets. The advantage for me is that I always have my wallet with me when driving so I just get in and press the start key, never having to fumble with anything - nice. The only thing that can create problems for me is if I carry my wallet and iPhone together in my hand as I approach the vehicle. The iPhone can block the key card's signal and the door won't unlock until I manipulate the wallet to be an inch or so away from the phone.

It's been a great feature for me, but I did get two other regular key fobs with the car as well - I just don't use them.

aarvan66

Genesis Model Type
Stupid newbie question here...can the CardKey be used with a 2015 Hyundai Genesis, or only with the newer 2017+ Genesis G80/G90?

jimmy buoy

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
Well... since my 2015 Hyundai Genesis AWD 5.0 came from the factory with 2 regular key fobs and 1 card key, I'd say the card will work with the 2015-16 Genesis and subsequent Genesis G80 models.

I believe there have been other owners in the USA that have purchased the card keys online from S. Korea and had them successfully programmed to their 15/16 Hyundai Genesis models.

Carson3

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Find the standard key bulky to carry around in my pocket and wish it was smaller/lighter. That said, my house key is attached and if I went with the card version, then I would have to carry a seperate key ring for that. So will probably just stick with the standard one.

JohnF

Genesis Model Type
I just picked up my Access Card-here in Massachusetts- been wanting to use since I saw it was available in Canada. For those interested it works great on my 2016 Genesis.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums