• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Purolator Pure One oil filter heads up

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
I just did the oil change on my wife's 2014 5.0. I used Mobil 1 5w-30 synthetic and a Purolator Pure One filter. Everything went fine except for the gasket for the oil filter drain was to thick. It was next to impossible to get it onto the screw. When I tried to put the screw back into the oil filter camber it was super tight. I ended up using the old one instead. Next time I will get OEM I believe.

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
I can't remember the brand but someone had posted a long time ago a crushed non-oem oil filter. Why would you risk using anything other than OEM? There's not a big difference in price.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I can't remember the brand but someone had posted a long time ago a crushed non-oem oil filter. Why would you risk using anything other than OEM? There's not a big difference in price.
Sorry OEM is not always the best bet. Puralator has been making one of the best filters for over 30 years. This time I do think they need some refinement.

You do realize that there are only a handful of manufactures of filters and most OEM filters are made by someone else, right?

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
However, there have been many stories of problems with Hyundai/Genesis engines and typical aftermarket filters.
My google fu must have been inop because i did not see the stories you speak of. I do not doubt them but I have not seen them.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

toxicavenger70

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Yea, I've gone that route with aftermarket and OEM filters. After some serious discussions here, in other threads, I was pretty much swayed to stick with OEM, 've just decided to buy a case of the OEM filters and use them. No big deal. Well, I might use K&N as I have a couple of those handy but then I'll go OEM. THe last oil change was OEM.

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Sorry OEM is not always the best bet. Puralator has been making one of the best filters for over 30 years. This time I do think they need some refinement.

You do realize that there are only a handful of manufactures of filters and most OEM filters are made by someone else, right?
Yup typically Mahle and Wix make OEM filters.

QuantumRift

Been here awhile...
Central OH
Yes, OEM filters are made by other manufacturers - like batteries, etc. What matters are the SPECIFICATIONS required by an OEM which the filter manufacturer must meet or exceed. Sears didn't make their own DieHard batteries. But they specified how those DieHards were to be made.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums