Questions from Cadillac owner

keystone56

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hello, I'm thinking of buying a 2014 Equus Signature. Recently I have owned 2012 BMW 750li, 2014 Cadillac CTS Awd, 2013 Cadillac Xts. Currently driving the 2014 cts, I love the power and handling. But I'm missing the size of the 7 series. Equus seems to be a more reasonable 7 series replacment. Just a few questions for long tern owners of 2014 + models.

1. What are some known issues?

2. Are hyundai dealerships expirenced working on these vehicles?

3. It being a low production car I'm somewhat concerned with cost and avalibility of parts. Want to avoid 7 series type repairs at all cost!

4. How does the vehicle do in winter conditions?

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
1. None major for that model year.

2. Equus has same engine and transmission as the 2012-2014 Genesis Sedan 5.0, so should be OK. But dealers cannot rebuild an engine or transmission, only replace them, so I would look at an extended warranty via Hyundai or 3rd party. If the car is sold by a Hyundai dealer AND is a CPO, then the 10 year - 100K mile powertrain warranty is restored (normally only for original owners).

3. Not sure what you mean. You can buy any of the parts at a Hyundai dealer parts department, and there are some dealerships that sell online for about a 20% discount. Compared to German cars, parts are reasonably priced.

4. 2014 RWD is not good in snow for most people. Some people do it with good quality snow tires, but I personally would not do it without an FWD or AWD.

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
With winter tires the car is a goat in the snow. Used motors and transmissions are easily found on eBay. Delray Hyundai, FL sells parts for 30% discount.

Looking to update and upgrade your Genesis luxury sport automobile? Look no further than right here in our own forum store - where orders are shipped immediately!

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
With winter tires the car is a goat in the snow. Used motors and transmissions are easily found on eBay. Delray Hyundai, FL sells parts for 30% discount.
According to this site, Salem Oregon gets an average of 6" of snow per year. So it may depend on where one lives as to how comfortable one is driving on snow with a RWD Equus.
http://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/salem/oregon/united-states/usor0304

Rey

Registered Member
Salem, OR
Agreed that Salem, Or has little snow, but I travel across northern states each winter often experiencing deep unplowed snow and blizzards. My Equus and four previous Genesis all had winter tires. I was raised in rural Minnesota, and have a fair amount of experience with winter tires on RWD autos. Winter tires are generally better in heavy rain, resisting hydoplaning.
We have periods of dangerous "black ice" in Pacific Northwest, and winter tires with the sipes do much better than three season tires in black ice.

kingsly

UPDATE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS
Had to chime in here even though my equus is a 2011, with good winter tires on all 4 wheels and 200 pounds in the trunk I drive with confidence in Canadian winter in northern Ontario with rwd. I have 160,000 kilometers on my 4.6 and she is just as powerful as ever , uses no oil and has never broken anything other than a rear proximity bumper sensor and the armrest lid latch. (My bad) The Cadillac CTS I had before had many issues and I would never go back .

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums
Protect your vehicle from code scanners