Radar detector power port

Taxexempt

Getting familiar with the group...
Corpus Christi, Texas
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
For those using radar detectors with a power cord are you leaving the console open and using one of those? I got a longer cord to run to the ones on the rear of the console, not pretty.

dkrebs

Hasn't posted much yet...
I have a Valentine 1 powered through a savvy connection that plugs into the OBD port. I also have a V1 connection LE plugged into the savvy that lets me use the V1 Driver app to keep track of alarms and map them. The V1Driver app can be purchased for $10 and helps reduce the annoying false alarms you usually get. This system works very well.

Last edited:

vasy

VA
I have a Valentine 1 powered through a savvy connection that plugs into the OBD port. I also have a V1 connection LE plugged into the savvy that lets me use the V1 Driver app to keep track of alarms and map them. The V1Driver app can be purchased for $10 and helps reduce the annoying false alarms you usually get. This system works very well.
What is that savvy connection? Can you give a link to it? With that connection plugged in to OBD port, can you keep the fuse panel door closed (G90's OBD port is inside the fuse panel door under the dash)? I plan to hard-wire a dash cam.

vasy

VA

Rloyola0426

Registered Member
Chino, CA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
You can also wire it your rear view mirror using an invisicord or similar product. I myself used an invisicord that had the smaller contacts so they would fit in the wiring harness. I also used a blendmount to mount it right under the mirror.

vasy

VA
You can also wire it your rear view mirror using an invisicord or similar product. I myself used an invisicord that had the smaller contacts so they would fit in the wiring harness. I also used a blendmount to mount it right under the mirror.
I considered doing that but I didn't see any exposed wiring or harness connector behind the mirror. Did you do that to a G90 or some other car?

3rdgen

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Do you remember which wires you tapped into ?

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have a 2018 G90 and used a Blendmount with a Mirror Tap. You remove the center plastic cover from the mirror shroud, unplug the mirror connector and I used the Black and Red wires. Works perfectly.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Do you remember which mirror tap you ordered it? part number or link, if possible, please? I just placed the order for a Blendmount and forgot to get the wires

Last edited:

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
John
Does your garage door opener work without the ignition being turned on? Mine doesn't
Was thinking about jumping wires in mirror so the door opener will work any time.
I have a 2018 G90 also

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
John
Does your garage door opener work without the ignition being turned on? Mine doesn't
Was thinking about jumping wires in mirror so the door opener will work any time.
I have a 2018 G90 also
Do you ever park the car outside your garage/house? That would be handy for anyone that gets into your car. Now they have garage access.

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
Did not know radar detectors were still a thing.

Do they still work?

What about the old adage that if it goes off they already have your speed and your busted?

Are those that have the radar detectors speeders or drivers trying to avoid tickets from speed traps and the like?

I have gotten so many tickets in my lifetime....twice experienced 2 tickets in one trip...twice have gotten the driver responsibility BS fee in Michigan and New York. It all started with a 93.1 MPH ticket when I was 16 and a suspension and dummy test in Pennsylvania.

If I was going through the trouble of wiring a radar detector I would do it under the hood through the grill.

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
My KIA K900 had the door opener powered all the time. Mine is in the closed garage and the doors are locked all the time.
The K900's worked a lot like the head lights stayed on just a little to give you time to walk away then went off. So not on
except when you first turn the car off. I always forget to close the door so have to walk to the back of the garage for the button
on the wall. Maybe I'll put a second switch right where I get out of the car

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
CT
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Did not know radar detectors were still a thing.

Do they still work?

What about the old adage that if it goes off they already have your speed and your busted?
I got the ticket to prove it. One beep and done. Have not used one in years and don't get tickets.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.