Radio went silent.

Thread starter #1

edward301

Registered Member
As I was driving home tonight radio was on FM and went silent, like Bluetooth took over. Tried turning radio
off and on, nothing. Tried making a cell call, I could hear them, they could not hear me. Display on radio
fine, even for cell call.

Even turned car off, and back on, nothing. Got home left car off for 8 minutes, went back to car but
turned my cell phone off, and started car, everything back to good, only strange item was clock
on radio was defaulted back to 12:00, but after about 25 seconds time was changed to current time.

Is this similar to what others have experienced, or does every one get variations of issues.

First issue I have had with this car, which is good for 9945 miles.

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
As posted elsewhere, probably your Bluetooth connection froze the system until it rebooted. Clock was wrong until the GPS updated it.

If I was a betting man, highest odds, I would guess you have an Android.

Next best odds your phone was just recently updated.

And last best odds you had your phone plugged into the sync USB.

Thread starter #3

edward301

Registered Member
I have an iPhone, have not updated phone in six months or more, and have never
any of the usb plugs in my car. Use Bluetooth only, and I agree with you that
Bluetooth froze up.

What did I win...

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
You won experience and a shiny nickel! :) You are now a veteran of radio malfunctions and can pass on your skills to the upcoming rookies.

The good news is that this happened with me from time to time on the BMW iDrive as well while I was transitioning from my crappy HTC 1 purple photo camera phone back to the iPhone 7. Both Android and IOS caused hiccups when the Bluetooth stack was ahead of its time.

If you want to become an expert on radios hook up an iPhone 10 ios11.00 to the USB sync port and try to watch a video. I did this because of the audio lag and the radio froze up. It took a several hours and car turnoffs before it fixed itself. I am sure I could have hit reset and it might have corrected itself instantaneously.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Given that all these functions are software-controlled, I'm sometimes surprised that these glitches don't happen even more often. I had a few instances in my '11 Genesis that took a few restarts to resolve. My 2017 G90 did some weird things when I tried to dial a number by voice the other day, just after I updated my phone to iOS 12, but that hasn't recurred.

encantotom

Registered Member
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
driving home from california tonight the radio went silent. sat radio, and radio stations. radio stations say no signal.

i can stream from my phone and the phone works.

ughhh

tom

csmaslin

Hasn't posted much yet...
CA
This is a follow up on the audio problem. I ended up replacing the radio twice. I found out the deakership had four other cars in for the same issue. The replacement of the original radio had the problem that the voice recognition system didn’t work and the gps audio announcements were also not working. A Genesis factory rep had stated there were radio issues from their distributor. So if you have had to reset the radio to get it working correctly. Do yourself a favor and have them replace it.

encantotom

Registered Member
Arizona
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
i went out today to reset it and it was working when i turned the car on.

i have mentioned it to my service manager and will keep notifying him when it happens

thanks

tom

csmaslin

CA
To see if you the common problem with the radio...switch preset stations a few times between am/fm/xm. I found once the car had been running for about 15 and I started switching it around would reproduce the no audio on AM/Fm/xm. Media worked fine as wellas the bluetooth streaming.

csmaslin

CA
Applying a ground to a hardware element to reboot programming should only occur once after a software upgrade. To have to perform this function more than twice for any software driven device is a problem and NOT NORMAL. If what you mean it seems to be a common problem to just the G90, then yes I agree. However, in researching the issue I found that it has history in models of KIA, Hyundai, Genesis. It also found as stated before, I was told that a factory representative admitted there was a problem in the Radio distribution. I am a retired engineer and I had isolated the issue to the Radio Control Head. I was lucky enough that the service manager belived there was a problem. On the original instance of the problem, simply turning the car off/on did solve the issue. However, reset or off/on (which is also a reset) is not a fix. Replacing the control head is the fix. If this occurs again on a new control head, then there is a production problem. Now they have to figure if it is Program or Hardware. My money is on a Hardware production issue (software is easy to fix with an update).

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.