Rear Bumper Damage - Repairable

SP00LN

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi all - got a 2018 G80 that I bumped into the garage today. Creased and tore the rear bumper.

Does anyone know if this is repairable or even worth repairing? Or should I just get a replacement bumper?

If replacement, can anyone recommend a place cheaper than dealer?

Thanks!

Attachments

SP00LN

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Was figuring that too.

I'm new to the forums, but are there any known aftermarket vendors to get one from other than Dealer?

surprisinguy

Registered Member
NC
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Online they look like they're $430~

bubbaG80Sport

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I had a "garage jockey" at Sears drive my 2011 Genesis into a lift and do similar damage to the FRONT bumper in 2016. Sears paid for it. The price difference in a repair versus replace was negligible. I chose replace as I felt it would be a better job/look better. I recall it was about $900USD total.

I can't recommend a place unless I know where you live and how far you're willing to drive.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
replace it.. I have less damage on my from getting rear ended and the insurance and body shop won't even consider a repair because the bumper cover is about $400 and a repair would cost more in labor and the bumper would likely have issues and cracking from normal flexing within a year or 2.

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
You'd spend more in gas $ getting to my recommend body shop than the repair cost ;)
lol. right around $450 in fuel, so it would be a push... :cool:

I made the drive from CA to TN (Smyrna) in 2016, most of my family is there, and I plan on moving there after my mom passes on.. only reason I am still in SoCal is mom is 80 and refuses to leave..

I loved that area of TN when I was there in 2016, I've been watching home prices there for 2 years, and my company has a satellite office there and has already said they would approve my transfer as 90% of my job is done remotely from home anyway..

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
The bumper has sensors too, I can't believe cost to replace would be $500 or less. I'd venture to guess you'd be looking at at least $1200 or more (parts, labor).

Mr. Incredible

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The bumper has sensors too, I can't believe cost to replace would be $500 or less. I'd venture to guess you'd be looking at at least $1200 or more (parts, labor).

the sensors are separately attached and serviced independently of the bumper cover, so unless they are damaged, like mine were they can be swapped over to the new cover.

in my case the cross traffic/BSM sensor was damaged, as was the array for the hands free trunk and 2 of the parking sensors.. since the kid that hit me went under the car in his lowered Acura POS, it folded the bumper cover downward on impact and tore the wiring and bent the sensors.

Last edited:

bubbaG80Sport

Hasn't posted much yet...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Tennessee
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That's true, but "my" body shop did it perfectly, they just painted the bumper w/o touching quarter panels or a trunk lid.
Most body shops I've had painting done at did a good job at color matching, particularly on a newer car before paint has started to fade. As long as the entire piece is painted it should be fine. This is why I recommended replacing and painting the entire bumper versus fixing the damage and possibly only painting that area of the bumper. I've had instances where they touched up an area on a panel and it's always been noticeable to the eye. The seams/joints between the body panels helps hide any possible minor difference in the paint color.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.