• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

rear tire slipping???

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
background:
3.3T Sport AWD, with LSD, eco mode and comfort mode, DO NOT have traction turned off.
Car is less the 4K km old, tire is still like new, haven't done any hard driving or track or do anything to burn the rubber.
DRY road condition, cool Vancouver Canada temperature

scenario:
so i noticed this a few times, when taking a tight right turn at intersections either from a stopped speed or normal safe cornering speed, mid-way through the turn, as i was giving gas (not hard or light on the pedal, just regular driving), i kind of feel the rear right (or it could be the left or just both rear wheels) had a really slight slip. think of it like if u have a bald tire taking a turn on a rainy day and the tire/wheel slipped, does it make sense?

is this normal? because the car is a RWD oriented? i never had a RWD before. anyone felt the same thing?

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
background:
3.3T Sport AWD, with LSD, eco mode and comfort mode, DO NOT have traction turned off.
Car is less the 4K km old, tire is still like new, haven't done any hard driving or track or do anything to burn the rubber.
DRY road condition, cool Vancouver Canada temperature

scenario:
so i noticed this a few times, when taking a tight right turn at intersections either from a stopped speed or normal safe cornering speed, mid-way through the turn, as i was giving gas (not hard or light on the pedal, just regular driving), i kind of feel the rear right (or it could be the left or just both rear wheels) had a really slight slip. think of it like if u have a bald tire taking a turn on a rainy day and the tire/wheel slipped, does it make sense?

is this normal? because the car is a RWD oriented? i never had a RWD before. anyone felt the same thing?
I never noticed it in the dry but if slight damp on the road I think I noticed it a bit and thought it’s the LSD doing it it’s thing. If the LSD was weak you wouldn’t notice this weirdness. Just a thought.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I never noticed it in the dry but if slight damp on the road I think I noticed it a bit and thought it’s the LSD doing it it’s thing. If the LSD was weak you wouldn’t notice this weirdness. Just a thought.
Your tires inflated correctly? If it was dry and you didn't slam the gas...probably shouldn't happen. It is rear wheel biased...but still...with all the safety features in place I wouldn't expect that.

Road surface smooth?

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Your tires inflated correctly? If it was dry and you didn't slam the gas...probably shouldn't happen. It is rear wheel biased...but still...with all the safety features in place I wouldn't expect that.

Road surface smooth?
No it wasn’t dry. Roads were slightly wet and maybe not completely smooth either. Probably lost some traction and car was trying to get traction while on the gas a bit.

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No it wasn’t dry. Roads were slightly wet and maybe not completely smooth either. Probably lost some traction and car was trying to get traction while on the gas a bit.
Sorry...was asking OP. They said dry road conditions. So only thing I could think of was tire inflation and road obstructions.

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Sorry...was asking OP. They said dry road conditions. So only thing I could think of was tire inflation and road obstructions.
Hmmm need to check tire when I get back to the car but there is no warning light. Not construction, as I felt that at different times. Road surface is not wet, maybe not 100% dry as it rained the other day, but not wet. Like if u fall down your clothing won't get wet, but you skin may feel some moise. I don't recall feeling that in my 16 Lexus is350 awd on all season tire. Or maybe it is our summer pilot sport tire?

Beefer

I’m faster
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Hmmm need to check tire when I get back to the car but there is no warning light. Not construction, as I felt that at different times. Road surface is not wet, maybe not 100% dry as it rained the other day, but not wet. Like if u fall down your clothing won't get wet, but you skin may feel some moise. I don't recall feeling that in my 16 Lexus is350 awd on all season tire. Or maybe it is our summer pilot sport tire?
So are you thinking the electronics are failing on you? Since this car bites into turns...are you sure that you were planted...but you got that feeling that you were letting loose?

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

devellis

Been here awhile...
North Carolina
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I think this is actually pretty normal when you're making a tight turn from a standing stop, although I'd expect it more when giving the car more throttle. I've had several cars exhibit that sort of behavior from time to time. I actually prefer that a car do this than having it bog if it senses a slight loss of traction. The latter can actually be dangerous if you're turning into traffic and the car doesn't lauch as briskly as you'd anticipated because it's losing a bit of traction. As long as the car feels completely stable throughout the turn and the wheel slippage is only momentary, I wouldn't worry about it.

Van_Nik_75

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Vancouver, BC
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Try it in Sport mode and try it in Comfort mode. There is a difference in the rear bias between the different modes. I've notice the LSD in similar situations.

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Try it in Sport mode and try it in Comfort mode. There is a difference in the rear bias between the different modes. I've notice the LSD in similar situations.
It's raining here today and tried this morning. You notice it in slow tight turns. I don't know how to describe it but it feels very "clicky". I think it's the LSD doing it's thing. If you had a weak LSD or no LSD at all, rear rotation would be very easy and smooth with the two rear wheels able to spin at very different separate speeds. We have a mechanical LSD right? The "clicking" is the LSD mechanically locking up. I'm not a mechanic but is this a reasonable explanation?

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
When you turn a corner the innner and outer tires rotate at different speeds. With a mechanical LSD the inner and outer tires are trying to rotate at the same speed so one will 'slip' to maintain the same rotational speeds. Buddy had a 4x4 with a positrack front diff and you really noticed it in that truck turning tight corners.

danygenesis

Genesis owner
Miami, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Here you have part of the G70 review of Car and Driver. Could be this what you are feeling?

"One gripe: Rolling into the throttle while exiting a corner awakens the Dynamic Torque Vectoring Control system, which clamps the inside rear brake to induce a slightly unsettling yaw that sends a twitch through the rear end. Remember grabbing your Big Wheel’s brake, the one that made it spin out? The same principle applies here. The goal is to reduce understeer and redirect the car’s nose inward. But it’s too abrupt and is unnecessary in a chassis that is otherwise precise, fluid, satisfying, and eager to please. Shutting off stability control disables the system, but we like having a safety net on Hudson Ranch"

Slides

Hasn't posted much yet...
NJ
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Yes, this sounds like the brake based torque vectoring that's tied into the ABS system kicking in a bit too early and aggressively.

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
I may be wrong with this, but hear me out...

...Genesis advertises the 3.3T as having a plate-type LSD. Depending on the ramp rate and preload, these LSD's are usually significantly more aggressive than the traditional torsen gear-type - that is, going around turns the LSD will try to keep both wheels spinning close to the same speed, depending on torque input (ie usually related to your throttle input). Considering this, it's possible that you're getting this wheel slip because of the LSD style, rather than brake-based torque vectoring. It would make sense to me that you'd notice this especially during relatively tight turns with anything more than really light throttle.

Things might be working exactly as they're supposed to be. Generally speaking, brake-based torque vectoring won't kick in if you're going slow. Just something to consider.

Anyway, If the G70 indeed has this type of LSD, I'm gonna be so pumped, because they are awesome.

g60_corrado_91

Registered Member
IL
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I may be wrong with this, but hear me out...

...Genesis advertises the 3.3T as having a plate-type LSD. Depending on the ramp rate and preload, these LSD's are usually significantly more aggressive than the traditional torsen gear-type - that is, going around turns the LSD will try to keep both wheels spinning close to the same speed, depending on torque input (ie usually related to your throttle input). Considering this, it's possible that you're getting this wheel slip because of the LSD style, rather than brake-based torque vectoring. It would make sense to me that you'd notice this especially during relatively tight turns with anything more than really light throttle.

Things might be working exactly as they're supposed to be. Generally speaking, brake-based torque vectoring won't kick in if you're going slow. Just something to consider.

Anyway, If the G70 indeed has this type of LSD, I'm gonna be so pumped, because they are awesome.
Basically a helical LSD right? If so, yes, they are great. Completely transformed my GTI and it’s probably one of my favorite mods to it (and it’s on coilovers, F/R sway bars, engine mounts, Golf R turbo upgrade, etc.)

When I pull out of my driveway which is a finished surface, I can feel both front wheels turning at the same time and it kind of “slips” the front a little bit, but that’s because both wheels are spinning at the same time.

Honestly, the factory LSD is one of the main reason the 2.0T 6MT has me so excited. Combined with Brembos and luxury features?!

Toddasaurus

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!
Portland, OR
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Basically a helical LSD right? If so, yes, they are great. Completely transformed my GTI and it’s probably one of my favorite mods to it (and it’s on coilovers, F/R sway bars, engine mounts, Golf R turbo upgrade, etc.)

When I pull out of my driveway which is a finished surface, I can feel both front wheels turning at the same time and it kind of “slips” the front a little bit, but that’s because both wheels are spinning at the same time.

Honestly, the factory LSD is one of the main reason the 2.0T 6MT has me so excited. Combined with Brembos and luxury features?!

Plate types are different than the helical LSD's. The way helical LSD's work is crazy, and I think they're really cool, but I still have difficulty grasping the physics/mechanics behind it. Check out engineering explained on YouTube, he does a good job of explaining how it all works!

Even so, my last car (FWD) I ended up putting in a helical LSD, and I did notice that sometimes the front wheels would be a bit more grabby/chattery during tight turns, and sometimes they'd be scrubbing a bit even in slow turns. A plate type LSD should be even more aggressive than that. Considering this contrast, I would certainly expect the G70 to scrub a bit during relatively tight turns, especially if you're putting any effort into the throttle (ie anything more than just barely touching the gas, as the 3.3 has tons of torque even down low).

In the end, I'm right there with you - super stoked on this! The G70 comes with some sweet hardware.

Friday

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Plate types are different than the helical LSD's. The way helical LSD's work is crazy, and I think they're really cool, but I still have difficulty grasping the physics/mechanics behind it. Check out engineering explained on YouTube, he does a good job of explaining how it all works!

Even so, my last car (FWD) I ended up putting in a helical LSD, and I did notice that sometimes the front wheels would be a bit more grabby/chattery during tight turns, and sometimes they'd be scrubbing a bit even in slow turns. A plate type LSD should be even more aggressive than that. Considering this contrast, I would certainly expect the G70 to scrub a bit during relatively tight turns, especially if you're putting any effort into the throttle (ie anything more than just barely touching the gas, as the 3.3 has tons of torque even down low).

In the end, I'm right there with you - super stoked on this! The G70 comes with some sweet hardware.
It's been raining lately and this makes sense. It only happens when you are at a complete stop or almost complete stop and have the front tires already turned and give it gas to go into a really tight turn.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums