• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Recall for 3.3T engines

phil1980

Getting familiar with the group...
ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:TURBO-CHARGER, ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:MANIFOLD/HEADER/MUFFLER/TAIL PIPE
Oil leaking onto the exhaust manifold increases the risk of a fire.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 19V538000
Components: ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE:GASOLINE:TURBO-CHARGER, ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:EXHAUST SYSTEM:MANIFOLD/HEADER/MUFFLER/TAIL PIPE

Summary
Hyundai Motor America (Hyundai) is recalling certain 2018 Genesis G80 and 2017-2018 Genesis G90 vehicles equipped with 3.3 liter turbocharged engines. The turbocharger oil supply pipe may have a loose seal, causing oil to leak onto the exhaust manifold.

Remedy
Hyundai will notify owners, and dealers will replace the turbocharger oil supply pipe, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin September 6, 2019. Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-371-9460. Hyundai's number for this recall is 003G.

Notes
Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

OMG70

Master Bruce!
LA/OC, California
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
So did they magically find this before G70's started production or is it more likely that they are waiting for someone with a G70 to have an engine fire before issuing a recall? Same engine, right?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
@phil1980 Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I searched for campaign #19V538000 at the U.S. NHTSA website.
Per the NHTSA 573 Defect Notice Report one of the symptoms is "Burning smell". I had a pronounced odor (burning paint smell) that occurred shortly after hard acceleration in my G80 Sport 3.3TT when it was brand new. The potency of the odor has subsided overtime/miles, but I still notice it on occasion. I've not had any of the other reported symptoms (White smoke, Oil leaking onto ground surfaces).

Does anybody know where the "turbocharger oil supply pipe" is located on the 3.3TT engine?
A picture where the "turbocharge oil supply pipe fitting located near its center union causing a loose seal" is located. would be particularly helpful. I'd like to do an initial visual inspection myself.

Last edited:

Ernie3647

Been here awhile...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Middletown NY
Not sure if all G80 sport, but I ran my vin and it came up with 1 unrepaired recall.

Recall status: Recall Incomplete.
Hey…looks like our car history runs along a similar path.
2011 Genesis Sapphire Blue
2015 Genesis Ultimate Empire Gray
2015 Sonata Ultimate Turbo Sport
2017 Santa Fe AWD 3.3 Ultimate Limited. (Presently Wife’s Car)
2019 Genesis G70 3.3T AWD Prestige Havana Red (Presently My Car)

All purchased new. Never any problems with any. I guess I like Hyundai’s.

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

NLJ

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
No complains either, my wife's on her 4th Santa Fe - '10, '14, '17 and '18, last three were/are 3.3L
The 3.3L is a gem. Love it on my wife's Sorento. Has a nice racy note to it at mid to high rpm.
Not the most gas efficient V6 though!

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Anybody with the 3.3TT engine been notified by Hyundai about this recall yet?
If so does/can the dealer fix it as of today?

NHTSA sites still shows Recall status = Recall Incomplete today.

Recall was expected to begin September 6, 2019, but I've not been notified by Genesis/Hyundai yet. I'm taking my 2018 G80 Sport 3.3TT in for service after 800 more miles. I'd like to get the recall addressed at that time. I've not contacted the dealer yet about this recall.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Build date April 2018 ! You must have gotten the last 2018 G80 built. Most car manufactures are starting to re-tool/build the next years model by April.

My 2018 G80 Sport falls within the recall period (Jan. 16, 2017 and Dec. 29, 2017). The NHTSA website does show the recall is applicable to my vehicle per the VIN. The sticker on the car shows manufactured April 28, 2017.
2018-G80Sport-VINSticker-190911.jpg

No G80 3.3TT (Sport Models) were sold in the U.S. until 2018. There is no such thing as a sold in U.S. 2017 G80 Sport.

The 3.3TT has been available since 2015 in the Equus (renamed to G90 from 2017 onward). Recall applies to G90's 3.3 liter turbocharged engines produced by Hyundai Motor Company (“HMC”) at the Ulsan plant in the Republic of Korean from 6/13/2016 through 12/29/2017.

Applicable NHTSA documents pertaining to this recall are....
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCAK-19V538-3041.pdf
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCLRPT-19V538-5142.PDF

Last edited:

JankenPo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Dealer won't sell an 2018 they have on the lot until a recall is done. I'm assuming it it is this recall. "The car does have an open recall and it cannot be cleared as the fix has not been released yet." Anyone else hearing that the fix is not available yet?

snipes81

Dealer won't sell an 2018 they have on the lot until a recall is done. I'm assuming it it is this recall. "The car does have an open recall and it cannot be cleared as the fix has not been released yet." Anyone else hearing that the fix is not available yet?
I'm picking up a new to me 2018 G80 3.3T Sport on Saturday at a dealership. They've made no mention of not letting me purchase it. Carfax shows the open recall on it.

JankenPo

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm picking up a new to me 2018 G80 3.3T Sport on Saturday at a dealership. They've made no mention of not letting me purchase it. Carfax shows the open recall on it.
Is it a CPO...wonder if that's the reason on this one.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I called my local Hyundai/Genesis dealer today. Service department is aware of this recall, but not received instructions on repair. Subsequently they cannot do any repair for this.

NHTSA site still shows "REMEDY NOT AVAILABLE YET. " I have not been notified of this recall by Hyundai yet. The NHTSA Part 573 Safety Recall Report indicates "Dealer and owner notifications will be mailed in September 2019. "

Does anybody know where the "turbocharger oil supply pipe" is located on the 3.3TT engine?
As it's a twin turbo I'd expect there are 2 oil supply lines/unions. A picture where the "turbocharge oil supply pipe fitting located near its center union causing a loose seal" is located would be particularly helpful. I'd like to do an initial visual inspection myself.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums