Remote ESC disable mod.

daviderle

Registered Member
O.k. I thought I would start a new thread to keep things clean, as it seems there is no stopping the flood..
So here goes (for nostalgia's sake, per original thread):

************************************************** *************************************************
Disclaimer, * WARNING * this procedure is not recommended or endorse by either Hyundai or the owners of this site.

I have no responsibility whatsoever on the outcome, results or side effects of this mod.
Please DO NOT TOUCH your vehicle as doing so may cause any number malfunctions and may result in voiding your warranty.
You alone will hold full responsibility of your actions.

I am not associated with Hyundai in any way and have no prior knowledge of inter working of any specific part of the Genesis electronics.
Personally, I am purely looking into the problem as engineering enthusiast who wishes to understand how things work.
************************************************** **************************************************

Here is the list of things that are needed or this mod:

1 X LOGISYS RM02 12v 15A relay w/ remote control kit
-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/LOGISYS-RM02-relay-remote-control/dp/B000PI9E4K/ref=pd_sim_e_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=00CD88E6FN90MZ1FRWEB"]LOGISYS RM02 12v 15A relay w/ remote control kit - Audio Video Remote Controls - Amazon.com[/ame]
-
-
1 X Parts Express 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket
-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-5-Pin-Relay-Socket/dp/B0002ZPUMG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_y"]Amazon.com : Parts Express 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket : Vehicle Amplifier Power And Ground Cables : Car Electronics[/ame]
-
1 X Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A
-
http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD- Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG/ref=pd_bxgy_hi_text_z
-
1 X GTC CT6100 Fuse Socket Connector Kit
-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001TCXOTW/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: GTC CT6100 Fuse Socket Connector Kit: Automotive[/ame]
-
1 X Littelfuse FHM2BP MINI In-Line Fuseholder with Protective Cap - Pack of 1
-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000COA31K/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER"]Amazon.com: Littelfuse FHM2BP MINI In-Line Fuseholder with Protective Cap - Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]
-
1 X Female shielded Electrical Wire Terminal Spade Connectors
-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Assorted-Electrical-Terminal-Connectors-Female/dp/B00H39XW38/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1410701659&sr=1-9&keywords=female+connector"]Amazon.com : Hot 100 Pcs Metal Assorted Electrical Wire Terminal Spade Connectors Male Female : Vehicle Amplifier Power Cable Terminals : Automotive[/ame]
-
1 X Quick Splice Electrical Connector Assortment (OPTIONAL)
-
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Splice-Electrical-Connector-Assortment/dp/B00A7YO5AK/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-4&keywords=quick+splice"]Amazon.com: 63pc Quick Splice Electrical Connector Assortment - 24-10 Ga - Organizer Case: Home Improvement[/ame]

-

The idea of the mod is to create a relay closed loop that can be switched off and then on remotely, here is a high level outline of needs to be done:

Procedure:

1 – Remove the 10A ESC fuse from the front passenger fuse box (2nd fuse in the middle row).
2 – Insert the 10A ESC fuse in the MINI In-Line Fuse holder.
3 – Connect both red cables, from the remote control unit as well as the relay sockets to the MINI In-Line Fuse holder.
4 – Connect the In-Line Fuse holder male shielded Electrical Wire Terminal Spade Connector
5 – Connect the blue cable from the relay socket to the shielded Electrical Wire Terminal Spade Connector.
6 – Connect the two white cables from the relay socket and the remote control using either the optional splice harness or solder together and tape together using weather proof tape.
7 – Connect the three black cables (two from the remote and the one from the relay socket) to a single black cable that be connected to vehicle ground.
8 - Insert Fuse Socket Connector where the ESC fuse was removed.
9 - Connect the in-line fuse to right terminal (facing the engine which is the live terminal).
10 - Connect the blue cable from the relay socket (facing the away from the engine which is the ESC feed).

Thanks to everyone's assistance and for keeping the flame alive or all these years, and I propose that we update this thread going forward.

Enjoy and :welcome:

Finished reference picture:

Some nice pictures of the install (courtesy of dareckibmw);

Last edited:

daviderle

Registered Member
I forgot to mention something important regarding this mod.:

An essential part of the design was for the final setup to be easily removed and reinstalled with ease.

In my case, that is each time the car goes in for a service (just in case of any future warranty related issues on either car ;))

Last edited:

NSXNEXT

Registered Member
Really nice work. Thanks everyone who helped out this together especially David.

daviderle

Registered Member
Really nice work. Thanks everyone who helped out this together especially David.
You are most welcome, the only thing I feel bad about is took more than five years to share with you all, but better late than never I suppose...

http://www.genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showpost.php?p=22743&postcount=40

Thanks what kind of results have you seen?
As far as what you get? there are at least three main threads in this forum that discuss the effect of the 'Nanny' on our Genny in excruciating detail!

But in summery, this mod. is about the closest thing to an engine tune we have available to us (the Sedan folks) at this time!

In addition, this mod. coupled with the Ridgit Collar, as well as the shifter mod I am working on, is the closest you will get to a 2015 model for those of us who;

1 - Prefers the shape of the 2009-2014 (G1) model.
2 - Likes the additional power / weight ratio of the G1 model.
3 - Would like to save $20k+.

Here are some nice videos of this mod:

instructional video (by Dareckibmw)
(I couldn't have shared this mod. without his help in validating my procedure and his artistic touch):

[youtube]7c3HEWSyCrQ[/youtube]

An older video (by PINGGOLF)
(Who validated my original 'removing ESC fuse' mod.)

[youtube]0QVFKXaZh1c[/youtube]

And one for the road:
(A tribute to QCTLG for carrying the torch forward)

[youtube]sJAbrSWujv4[/youtube]​

Have fun and please be careful out there... :D

Last edited:

karak

Hasn't posted much yet...
David thanks for the write up. In your original post you look to have a broken link. Is that a product or some extra text.

This bit here copied from your post.
"http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS12...bxgy_hi_text_z"

daviderle

Registered Member
Unfortunately I can no longer have the ability to edit the original post, the link should point to the Relay:

Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-RLS125-12-VCD-Automotive-Relay/dp/B0002KR9GG/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1417187471&sr=1-3&keywords=rls125"]Amazon.com : Absolute RLS125 12-VCD Automotive Relay SPDT 30/40A : Vehicle Electronics Relays : Automotive[/ame]

daviderle

Registered Member
Bump!

I thought it is about time to check to see if anyone else have tried this mod, as there was so much interest regarding the ESC disable subject in the past?

Please do share you experience to make sure everything worked ok.

Again, if there are any V6 owners located around Atlanta area who are interested in looking into the ESC issue, please feel free to PM me....

2011 Genesis 4.6

Been here awhile...
Jax Fl
Thanks for this information. I am ordering the remote kit (as running wires for a switch just is not to my liking) I have tried the remove/hit the button/replace method and found it works very well.

daviderle

Registered Member
I am glad it worked out for you guys..
please post any issues that you may encounter, as well as your results so we can collectively keep track of how many people have implemented this mod in its latest incarnation ...

Because as far as I know, until the V8 ECU is cracked this is the best we have got...:)

genesis50

Hasn't posted much yet...
Excuse my ignorance, but from what I'm understanding this is generally the same concept as wiring a switch correct? Something that I could hide in an ash tray for easy accessibility per say..

dmitriylm

Registered Member
Excuse my ignorance, but from what I'm understanding this is generally the same concept as wiring a switch correct? Something that I could hide in an ash tray for easy accessibility per say..
You could go that route with a wired switch. It will be a bit more work as I understand the firewall is sealed pretty well so running wires through it can be a pain.

I just ordered the components for the remote setup. Looking forward to the difference.

Last edited:

dareckibmw

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Romeoville, IL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

2011 Genesis 4.6

Been here awhile...
Jax Fl
my initial tests show that without any traction control It would appear the 2011 4.6 has an open rear diff. I don't have any visual confirmation yet but the feel especially on wet pavement was one wheel spin.

2011 Genesis 4.6

Been here awhile...
Jax Fl
I am very glad for the assembled pic's that made things very easy. though I am curious in the write up you never mentioned the yellow wire coming off the plug, it looks as though you cut it off at the plug in the pic. I just taped mine up very well just in case I was mistaken

daviderle

Registered Member
I am very glad for the assembled pic's that made things very easy. though I am curious in the write up you never mentioned the yellow wire coming off the plug, it looks as though you cut it off at the plug in the pic. I just taped mine up very well just in case I was mistaken
You are right, somehow that bit of information did not make it to the final write up, as I run through a Beta phase with few members.

The yellow cable serves a closed loop (when the relay is on) and is not used in this setup, so I/we removed it.

dmitriylm

Registered Member
I just got everything wired up and installed and tested for proper operation (correct lights turn on/off on the dash). I'll have to wait to find some open space to act inappropriate which probably means this weekend.