Remote Start by Fob

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I purchased my 2019 g90 ultimate with the dealer stating that they would install a fob, using the car's fob, remote start since my wife, the primary driver, does not have a smart phone and does not what one. Now they are telling me that a company they use to install them said it is not available yet for the 2019 model, (they told me they have installed them in the past). Anyone know why Genesis did not include both fob and phone remote start? Many other less expensive cars work both ways. Also does anyone know if an aftermarket one exist?

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
That does my wife no good since, as I said, my wife does not have or want a cell phone and after 3 years I have to pay to remote start my car.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
IAnyone know why Genesis did not include both fob and phone remote start? Many other less expensive cars work both ways. Also does anyone know if an aftermarket one exist?
It is not relevant why they did not include it. You purchased the car knowing it did not have one. As long as you have it on the "What's Owed" sheet that they are going to install a remote start you should be fine. If their supplier doesn't have one that will work then they will either have to go to another company or if none exist, compensate you for what a remote start would cost if it was available using similar systems.

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
It is not relevant why they did not include it. You purchased the car knowing it did not have one. As long as you have it on the "What's Owed" sheet that they are going to install a remote start you should be fine. If their supplier doesn't have one that will work then they will either have to go to another company or if none exist, compensate you for what a remote start would cost if it was available using similar systems.

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
It is relevant, not because of how I purchased the car, but because it is a feature most people want. Also because it is not much more then a software change since the remote start hardware is already installed.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
That does my wife no good since, as I said, my wife does not have or want a cell phone and after 3 years I have to pay to remote start my car.
Do you mean that she doesn't have or want a cell phone or a smartphone? I'd say that a cell phone is an essential safety device these days for a number of reasons, and a smartphone isn't far behind with its ability to take photos in case of an accident and so on.

Starting the car with the key fob would be convenient for sure, but there are other things you can do with the app like set the temperature, lock the doors, and so on. You can get a compatible smart phone for very little, though you'd also need a data plan unless the phone will only be used on Wi-Fi. In any case, I have no idea why Genesis doesn't include key fob starting.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
It is relevant, not because of how I purchased the car, but because it is a feature most people want. Also because it is not much more then a software change since the remote start hardware is already installed.
I just Googled the design team notes and it looks like the last time they visited as to whether to include the remote start on the fob or not was on October 17, 2017. The weather that day was overcast and foggy in Seoul. Since it was the third Tuesday of the month they decided to follow old Korean superstition and not change paths on a foggy third Tuesday of the 10th month so they didn't add the remote start on the key fob.

Either that or after market research, customer surveys, cost/benefit analysis and various other tools it was decided not to be done. You can choose, either way it has no effect on your vehicle.

daviderle

Registered Member
There might be a simple solution to this problem, where by she calls you any time she wants her car warmed up and you can simply start it from the app on your smart phone... As many would agree, we are supposed to be born with the tech savvy Gene.;)

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
This is quite simple. First, my wife has a cell phone not a smart phone. Second, looking at all the threads it seems other people agree both should be there. Third, there are places where cell services is not good. And I can go on. But that is not why I wrote the post. I was asking if anyone knew of an aftermarket unit available for the 2019 g90.
I will also say that adding this feature is nothing more then a software patch and I am sure it could only help to sell more cars.

TurtleBoy

Registered Member
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Wouldn't the range be very limited with a fob?
With a standard manufacture fob it is usually pretty limited and one of the reasons many manufactures are switching to smartphone interfaces. There are some third party companies that have fobs with ranges of a few miles. Unfortunately searching around I could not find any that does the G90, actually didn't run across any that does Genesis but some may.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I purchased my 2019 g90 ultimate with the dealer stating that they would install a fob, using the car's fob, remote start since my wife, the primary driver, does not have a smart phone and does not what one. Now they are telling me that a company they use to install them said it is not available yet for the 2019 model, (they told me they have installed them in the past). Anyone know why Genesis did not include both fob and phone remote start? Many other less expensive cars work both ways. Also does anyone know if an aftermarket one exist?
Seems like other companies are using phones now instead of a fob. For some, it is an income source too, paying for the telematics.

Unless the 2019 had some changes, the same system from the 2018 should fit. That is the best solution. I'd rather have a fob too, but it is not a deal breaker.

In many situations, it is much easier to take the fob, hit a button or two and the car starts. Leaving the grocery store I have to take out the phone, open the app, push a few buttons, wait for the command to reach the car. By that time I'm already at the car.

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Seems like other companies are using phones now instead of a fob. For some, it is an income source too, paying for the telematics.

Unless the 2019 had some changes, the same system from the 2018 should fit. That is the best solution. I'd rather have a fob too, but it is not a deal breaker.

In many situations, it is much easier to take the fob, hit a button or two and the car starts. Leaving the grocery store I have to take out the phone, open the app, push a few buttons, wait for the command to reach the car. By that time I'm already at the car.
I agree with you EdP and I will somehow get it done. Hoped for more help here but did not get much.

Don88

Getting familiar with the group...
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Vancouver WA U.S.
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Guys and Gals, the story can also be told like this.

Come out of the store with an arm load of groceries, walk up to your G80; the auto open trunk opens; place groceries on the deck. use the pull down hook for those plastic bags; push the close button. Walk to the drivers door, where the lights flash, the rear view mirror swings out. You push the button, open the door, climb in. Now, place right foot on brake pedal, push the start button and drive away. Didn't have to push the fob button once. May have even forgot to bring my iPhone. But I see your point; just making noise here.

P.S. As I drive away, launch the U Tube Drive Thyme, "I'll Take You There" by the Staple Singers. <G>

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I agree with you EdP and I will somehow get it done. Hoped for more help here but did not get much.
I agree with EdP as well. But you asked if anyone knew why Genesis didn't include key fob start, and it's highly unlikely that any of us do — we can just speculate. It may be possible to add an aftermarket system, but I've not had the need for one. My personal use case for remote start is to heat or cool the vehicle or defrost the windows before I get in. However, the range over which a key fob would work is probably too short to allow enough time to make a difference.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Many car makers are moving to this subscription service for features, why charge a customer once for something when you can charge them month after month as long and they own the car and want the features.

As far as not having the hardware for a 2019, I would bet the 2018munit works just fine as the car hasn’t changed and won’t until 2020, so it might be the 2019 has not been validated yet with the unit.

Personally and this is just me, the last 8 cars I have had came with remote start and I seldom use it, fob range is/was to short and using the app is too cumbersome when your hands are full.

While it’s a nice feature personally I just don’t find it useful.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
While it’s a nice feature personally I just don’t find it useful.
You live in a year 'round mild climate. In winter in CT, when the temperature was hovering around 0, I used it twice a day, leaving for work, leaving for home. Now that I've moved south, it has not been used in a month, Probably will come hot summer though.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
You live in a year 'round mild climate. In winter in CT, when the temperature was hovering around 0, I used it twice a day, leaving for work, leaving for home. Now that I've moved south, it has not been used in a month, Probably will come hot summer though.

even when I lived in NY I did't find it useful, fob range to short, app to much effort to open and engage the feature, then wait, and by the time I got to the car it was just starting. 3-4 minutes later. (OnStar and Lexus).

to each their own, I just don't see it as being a make or break option on a car, regardless of how it is implemented.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I love remote start. While getting ready for work I just tap the Bluelink widget on the phone and car is warm and defrosted by time I get to the driveway. Ditto going home from work. Sure beats sitting in a freezing cold car waiting for it to warm up and defrost the windows.

Sadly the downside is the cost to have the feature. My plan expires in march so I'm gonna have to decide if cost outweighs the convenience. Hyundai is WAY to greedy on the cost of their remote "features".

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.