• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Remote Start by Fob

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I've had numerous cars with the key fob remote start, and I prefer the app. When I get out of the shower in the morning, I start the car with my phone. I don't have to go downstairs to my key, then go back upstairs to finish getting ready. When I leave Colts games, I can start the car and by the time I walk the half mile to my car, it's warmed up. With just a key fob, I wouldn't be able to start it until i got to the parking lot.

Gene2

Been here awhile...
Glendale,AZ
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I'm to lazy to even pull the key fob out of my pocket. That's why I use the remote start using alexa.
After I got my car, months after, Genesis sent me a free amazon echo dot. Sets on our counter
Just tell alexa to ask Genesis to start my Genesis G90. tell her the 4 digit code you set up and
in about 20 seconds the car starts. Can even tell alexa to have the temp. set to 72 degrees.
You can add another echo dot at work if you have internet access.
Not going to help you if you spend time at the bowling alley but at home and work is great feature.

Jim C

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I agree with you all. But for me my passed 4 cars had fob start and I never had a problem starting the car from the house, a restaurant, or even in a store. I will have to wait until the 2019 aftermarket unit is available. But I still think that expecting everyone to have a cell phone, or be in an area with service, is not right.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I agree but also some thing that they used to own now cost more. Does that make it wrong by the same reasoning?
Many expenses are self imposed. We grew up with our parents having one phone in the dining room and the TV got the 3 networks and PBS. We survived very well with just that, but have voluntarily added cell phones, internet, cable TV, SiriusXM radio. Not to mention that mom made a pot of coffee in the morning for pennies a cup.

mistersteve

Hasn't posted much yet...
FL
To Don88 and EdP. Ever meet an engineer who helped design all this crap way back when but wants simplicity in life now? That's me. Remote start is one of those features I won't use. That doesn't mean I won't support it's inclusion for all you guys. Just don't expect me to use it. I'm fine touching the door handle or pressing the FOB.

And you're right, if I still wintered in CT and summered in FL instead of the reverse (as we do) I'd probably appreciate autostart more.

Finally, when we do travel. I wrap the FOB in aluminium foil while in the hotel room. These long distance FOBs and car transceivers have been hacked (or more correctly, cloned) on some other car brands. Don't know about Genesis but, sometimes too much technical knowledge makes a guy paranoid ;-)

Spanky61

Been here awhile...
NM
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Where are you seeing compatibility? When looking at the Start It system, Hyundai and Genesis are not listed.
It suggests that you call them. However, pardon me I understand we are talking about the 2019 G90.

daviderle

Registered Member
Finally, when we do travel. I wrap the FOB in aluminium foil while in the hotel room. These long distance FOBs and car transceivers have been hacked (or more correctly, cloned) on some other car brands. Don't know about Genesis but, sometimes too much technical knowledge makes a guy paranoid ;-)
I understand every encryption is crackable but you maybe pleased to know that the Genesis, Hyundai as well as Kia all do it properly, the fob/key is programmable only once, with two way hashed rotating keys (both the fob and the car rotate their encryption keys) that matches the fob to a single vehicle,
In my experience, it is rather a pain to replace a lost fob.

mistersteve

Hasn't posted much yet...
FL
Hi Daviderle. Here's the description of what I mean:

The threat is called a 'relay attack,' Michael Tanji, chief operating officer for the cyber security firm Senrio Inc., told ABC News. Basically, the attackers grab the signal being transmitted by a nearby key fob using a special receiver. That receiver then 'relays' that signal to the car, allowing the thief to unlock it and even start the ignition.

Admittedly, it's rare so far but the last years of my career were spent on failure analysis in home control systems - basically, how to remotely fix a critical system component crash that usually only has a 1% chance of failure - but you are dead if it does. Call it institutional paranoia ;-)

Cybersecurity experts like GlobalSecurityIQ CEO Holly Hubert said that relay attack threats were first detected in 2016 after remotes became increasingly prevalent in cars.
Whether it’s wrapping your key fob in tin foil or placing it in a signal blocking pouch, reports say key fobs should be stashed in a safe spot to reduce any chance for interference from potential hackers.

Seriously, it may never happen where any of us go with our G90's but with cars usually parked less than a couple hundred feet from your motel or hotel room window what does it harm using a bit of precaution. You already protect your credit cards similarly when in a crowded airport. Who ever thought we'd have to do it with our cars ;-)

Goaterguy

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I understand every encryption is crackable but you maybe pleased to know that the Genesis, Hyundai as well as Kia all do it properly, the fob/key is programmable only once, with two way hashed rotating keys (both the fob and the car rotate their encryption keys) that matches the fob to a single vehicle,
In my experience, it is rather a pain to replace a lost fob.
In September 2017 I bought an used 2017 Santa Fe Sport for my brother and it only came with one fob. New fob for $35 and $45 for the locksmith to come to my work, program the key and cut it was all it took. Not bad for $80.

daviderle

Registered Member
In September 2017 I bought an used 2017 Santa Fe Sport for my brother and it only came with one fob. New fob for $35 and $45 for the locksmith to come to my work, program the key and cut it was all it took. Not bad for $80.
That is a rather an incredible price! You did great!
Where I live, I have to pay $80 just for the call out charge regardless of the work being done.

These days, the tools to program a new fob are more readily available and pretty easy to use, they are still rather expensive, the Smart Pro for example costs anywhere from $4-5k and the key cut equipment is almost a similar amount,

Last edited: