Remote Start by Fob

mistersteve

Hasn't posted much yet...
FL
Hold your breath, Guys. The wife lost a Sienna FOB a few years ago and it was $225 if I remember correctly (they had to reprogram/replace the door controller whatever whatever too). The real killer was $400 for one on my then BMW 750Li (or was it iL?). What a rip off. The G90 doesn't turn corners like my BMWs, but then I don't anymore either. :-0

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
it's not Hyundai, it is all manufacturers, all of them are doing this subscription thing for remote start now. even GM is removing the fob remote start for 2018 and newer models. Lexus includes the fob remote start ONLY if you also subscribe to the app, if you don't subscribe then the key fob remote start gets disabled when the app does.

every major brand is doing this. Soon I suspect features like carplay will also be via subscription, BMW and MBZ are already doing that. why have only a one time transaction with a customer when you can suck monthly fees out of them. sure dangle a carrot in from of them with the free services for a limited time so they get used to them and want them, then actively pay for them.

the wave of the future. monthly service charges for everything in your life.
Don't say that all manufacturers are going to the Smart Phone Remote Start. Not true.

My Luxury 2017 had FOB Remote Start.

My Semi Luxury 2018 has both FOB Remote Start and Smart Phone Remote Start but have to pay for the service, so I told them to go pound salt, so they unsubscribed me. The FOB Remote Start works fine. Although I have not tried it, I understand the 2019 version operates the same.

Lastly, the guy wants FOB Remote Starting. He (and I) would EXPECT it on a high priced luxury car. Dont try telling him that Smart Phone Remote Starting is better. (It's not).
He knows what he and his wife want.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Don't say that all manufacturers are going to the Smart Phone Remote Start. Not true.

My Luxury 2017 had FOB Remote Start.

My Semi Luxury 2018 has both FOB Remote Start and Smart Phone Remote Start but have to pay for the service, so I told them to go pound salt, so they unsubscribed me. The FOB Remote Start works fine. Although I have not tried it, I understand the 2019 version operates the same.

Lastly, the guy wants FOB Remote Starting. He (and I) would EXPECT it on a high priced luxury car. Dont try telling him that Smart Phone Remote Starting is better. (It's not).
He knows what he and his wife want.
what make are these? you are talking about, never heard of a car manufacturer named Luxury or Semi-Luxury

and yes all manufacturers are moving this in the direction of smart phone app remote start subscription services.

Some makes like GM still offer fob based remote start on some models, on others they only offer app based and I expect that within the next 3-5 years all models will be this way.

Some makes like Subaru, FCA and Ford, offer a fob based system as an option for $350 - $700 depending on brand/model, or you can take the app for a monthly/yearly subscription. But one way or another you will pay for the service.

Others like Lexus, Audi, BMW, MBZ offer the fob based remote start only if you pay for the app service, cancel the app and the fob remote start also stops working.

Subscription based services is the wave of the future, BMW, MBZ, Volvo, and Cadillac are now experimenting with short term commitment subscription based car "ownership" wherein you pay a monthly subscription fee for the brand and depending on the tier you sign up for you can rotate models every 12 months and never actually own the car, just subscribe to the service to get a different model every year similar to how Apple is allowing people to "subscribe" to their phones and get a new one every year, without actually ever paying it off or owning it, they get you on the hook with a forever payment to always have to newest, latest, and greatest of their offerings.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
what make are these? you are talking about, never heard of a car manufacturer named Luxury or Semi-Luxury

and yes all manufacturers are moving this in the direction of smart phone app remote start subscription services.

Some makes like GM still offer fob based remote start on some models, on others they only offer app based and I expect that within the next 3-5 years all models will be this way.

Some makes like Subaru, FCA and Ford, offer a fob based system as an option for $350 - $700 depending on brand/model, or you can take the app for a monthly/yearly subscription. But one way or another you will pay for the service.

Others like Lexus, Audi, BMW, MBZ offer the fob based remote start only if you pay for the app service, cancel the app and the fob remote start also stops working.

Subscription based services is the wave of the future, BMW, MBZ, Volvo, and Cadillac are now experimenting with short term commitment subscription based car "ownership" wherein you pay a monthly subscription fee for the brand and depending on the tier you sign up for you can rotate models every 12 months and never actually own the car, just subscribe to the service to get a different model every year similar to how Apple is allowing people to "subscribe" to their phones and get a new one every year, without actually ever paying it off or owning it, they get you on the hook with a forever payment to always have to newest, latest, and greatest of their offerings.
OK. I'll name names.

Luxury. 2017 Lincoln Continental.
Semi-Luxury. 2018 Buick Regal.

Both have FOB Remote Start.

Sister's 2016 Chevy Equanox also has FOB Remote Start.

(Both the Buick and the Chevy also offer Remote Start with a Smart Phone app, in addition to FOB Remote Start, but we don't use it as we both told OnStar to "Go Pound Salt").

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
OK. I'll name names.

(Both the Buick and the Chevy also offer Remote Start with a Smart Phone app, in addition to FOB Remote Start, but we don't use it as we both told OnStar to "Go Pound Salt").
I'm also on the Sonata Forums as I had two (2018 & 2015) Sport/Limiteds. No FOB Remote Start on Sonatas. . Still have one.
Just like this forum, owners never heard that other brands had FOB Remote Start. Never Heard Of It.
Like OnStar, I told BlueLink to go Pound Salt and I can live without Remote Start on the Sonatas.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
OK. I'll name names.

yeah I stated GM and Ford still offer remote start on the Fob on some models, newer models coming out they don't, it will either be an add-on or via the app only.

disagree if you want, I don't care, I worked for GM and Chrysler for 20+ years at both dealer and corporate levels. I still have contacts at both and I know what direction they are going with their features.

It's not hard to understand or see it happening, a lot of companies, even aside from car makers are moving to subscription based income streams because there is no brand/customer loyalty any longer, so they can't depend on repeat buyers, so they will milk the ones they can..

The subscription service is an option, you don't have to take it, but if you want those features that is becoming your only choice. some people have to have it, personally I could care less, I don't use the features often enough to care, great when they are free, I will not pay for them after the free "trial" period is gone either.

To me, Remote start via fob should be on every car, if they are going to force a fob on me for remote lock/unlock and now to the point of keyless push button start, there is no reason to not also include remote start. But these companies know that would kill a major revenue stream and for every one of us that don't want or care about remote start there are 100s that want it and will pay for it, via subscription or as an optional paid add-on.

ctrcbob

Been here awhile...
Hey, I'm agreeing with you. They are greedy. I'm going to give you another example.

My Sonatas, plus my former Continental plus my former Mercedes, Genesis, Taurus and Avalon all had the Traffic Link (Green-Yellow-Red Traffic lines) with the SiriusXM.
NOT THE BUICK. Can't get the Traffic Link unless I have OnStar. (Traffic Link works fine as long as I'm paying OnStar). SiriusXM says Buick says car not capable of having Traffic Link.

OK. I can live without Traffic Link in that car.

Also, wants to make you believe that you lose Navigation. Not true. You lose OnStar Navigation, but you don't lose the built in Navigation. I use it all the time. Also wants you to think you can't get the built in apps. Again not true. I use my iPhone's Personal Hotspot and I get the built in apps, plus if my wife wants to use our iPad, she just connects to my phones Personal Hotspot.

GREEDY GREEDY.

Now Genesis wants to play the greed game. (Yes, I know Genesis, like Hyundai gives you three years of free BlueLink - I don't care. I had them unsubscribe me).

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Riley2323

Been here awhile...
Connecticut
I imagine the subscription service will come to a head at some point. I would think some third party service will enter the arena for people that own their cars and this will go to the digital millennium copyright act in some form or another.

The third party will figure out how to emulate OnStar and BlueLink etc. and the customers will opt for the third party service for a one time fee or super cheap subscription after their initial term runs out.

After all you own your car and every piece of equipment on it including the little cell phone that talks with the mothership. If you want the little cell phone to talk with the emulator mothership, there is nothing that GM, Hyundai or Genesis can do, although they will try.

This essentially becomes a question of who do you want to be the ISP for your car?

And when you think about it, you can actually thank Apple and Android as they have really thrown a wrench in the subscription model with CarPlay and AndroidAuto. They will help kill the vehicle subscription model, but bolster the umbilical cord to the cell phone subscription.

Last edited:

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
[QUOTE="Riley2323, post: 298351, member: 20764]

And when you think about it, you can actually thank Apple and Android as they have really thrown a wrench in the subscription model with CarPlay and AndroidAuto. They will help kill the vehicle subscription model, but bolster the umbilical cord to the cell phone subscription.[/QUOTE]

which in turn will likely lead to even higher cell phone rates.

Goaterguy

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That is a rather an incredible price! You did great!
Where I live, I have to pay $80 just for the call out charge regardless of the work being done.

These days, the tools to program a new fob are more readily available and pretty easy to use, they are still rather expensive, the Smart Pro for example costs anywhere from $4-5k and the key cut equipment is almost a similar amount,

Maybe it had to do with me telling him that I could meet him wherever he needed and I was in no rush to do the programming and cutting of the key. He set the time of the meeting due to him having a client near my office. Moral of the story may be to get a second/third fob before you actually need it. Yes, he used a tablet like tool that connected to the OBDII port and a lathe like tool to cut the key in his van.

Ann L.

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have a smart phone and down loaded the app. It is so difficult to use I do not use it. My husband has a GMC, pushes one button on the fob. Very poor design on Hyundai's part.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
I have a smart phone and down loaded the app. It is so difficult to use I do not use it. My husband has a GMC, pushes one button on the fob. Very poor design on Hyundai's part.
I understand why key fob remote starting would be worthwhile as long as it's designed to make it impossible to start the car inadvertently. If one button press is all that's needed, it's possible to activate when the fob is in a pants pocket. I thought the risk was extremely low until I opened my trunk while visiting a friend a few months ago.

However, I don't concur with your statement that remote start with the app is "so difficult." Launch the app, tap Start, tap Submit on the next screen, then enter a 4-digit PIN. The advantage of this method is that it uses the data network, so it functions at any distance. On very cold days, I've started my car from my office around five minutes away. It's even more helpful for other functions, such as checking on the car's status or locking the doors, which I've done while traveling.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Ebbtide

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
The one I had were not single touch. Last one was: tap, tap, pause, tap tap. Never failed to start, nor did it accidentally start. It also locked the doors if they were not locked.

I'd not say the phone app is difficult, but by comparison it is awkward and takes more time. With a fob is is 5 seconds. One hand.

The app takes 45 to 60 seconds, needs two hands, and can take a minute for the action to take place. It is awkward when in the checkout of the grocery store or if you are carrying a couple of bags. By the time it is started I'm already at the car.

Now it is handy with distance as you state, but, have you ever been in a place with no cell service? Useless.

Both have good and bad points depending on location and needs. If I keep the car after the free three years I'll get an aftermarket installed.
I had an aftermarket remote start installed on my 2015 Genesis. It is the size of a quarter and works great. It was $250 and in 1 1/2 years I will be ahead of the game. Also you have to tap release tab to start, so no accidental starts.

waveman

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Alabama
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
The one I had were not single touch. Last one was: tap, tap, pause, tap tap. Never failed to start, nor did it accidentally start. It also locked the doors if they were not locked.

I'd not say the phone app is difficult, but by comparison it is awkward and takes more time. With a fob is is 5 seconds. One hand.

The app takes 45 to 60 seconds, needs two hands, and can take a minute for the action to take place. It is awkward when in the checkout of the grocery store or if you are carrying a couple of bags. By the time it is started I'm already at the car.

Now it is handy with distance as you state, but, have you ever been in a place with no cell service? Useless.

Both have good and bad points depending on location and needs. If I keep the car after the free three years I'll get an aftermarket installed.
I agree with everything you said except that the app takes 45-60 seconds: It takes me no more than 10-15 seconds, including launch. As you say, each has its pros and cons. The fob wouldn't work for my main use case, though I wouldn't mind having the option for the times it would.

Twolf

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I agree with EdP as well. But you asked if anyone knew why Genesis didn't include key fob start, and it's highly unlikely that any of us do — we can just speculate. It may be possible to add an aftermarket system, but I've not had the need for one. My personal use case for remote start is to heat or cool the vehicle or defrost the windows before I get in. However, the range over which a key fob would work is probably too short to allow enough time to make a difference.
Waaah waaah waaah. Been walking up to my '16 Genesis for 3 years and starting it when I get in, no biggie. The rest of the car makes up for the FOB or any other way to remote start it. Can't wait for the complaint that the car has to be many put in gear. 😁

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Depends on how you use the app, I use it off my Apple Watch. One hand. 6 taps. Genesis app, start, 4 digit pin. Actually I can use Siri on the watch or phone to verbally open the app and initiate the start, but still have to punch in the pin.

I can also use the Alexa app on my phone to verbally start the car as well and verbally speak the pin if I choose, my issue there is people around me would hear my pin.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.