Remote Start / Connected Services Quit Working

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
2018 G80 Sport - Mar 1, 2019 was the last successful remote start using the app. Mar 4, 2019 was first failure. Message is that Service unavailable after about 2-3 minutes after putting in pin. Usually motor starts after ~1 minute. So, I did the usual, deleted app, reinstalled app...same. I tried remote start for my PC using MyGenesis...same. I CAN get current status) un/locked, ac status, etc. I cannot lock, unlock, flash lights, etc. I tried this from three different parked locations where I have successfully remote started ~100 times. Nothing else has seemed to change.

So, yesterday I broke down and called support. Went through all of this, again. They attempted sending, with same result. Went into BlueLink settings and the service is activated; however, my MEID number is all 0s (00000000000000). Hmmm...so we did a head unit reset. Same. They were stumped and will forward to their "engineers.'

Today I did the app uninstall, reinstall again. Head unit reset, again. Still no MEID number. Still no remote start. He confirmed yesterday I do have active service. MyGenesis also shows active service.

I'm not sure what it could be, perhaps replace the ibox? I'm sure they'll want to do that last. I made it clear that under no uncertain terms will I leave my car for days for them to hunt and peck. I explained I wanted the engineers to clearly tell the dealership what to do, and I'm going to stay there and watch. I'm not having the dealership screw crap up. My reasoning for this was a month ago I went in for my first "complementary service," and within 1/2 mile from the dealership after picking it up, my BSD system went berserk and the temperature status constantly, and rapidly cycled from 0 - 60 then --, then continued this cycling. WTF? All I did was get an oil change and my map update (ordered the map and the dealership installed). I pull over, turn off the car, wait, then restart it. Get the same indications, but now get Engine alert and warning screens. The car was running fine, just alarms everywhere. Screw it, I instantly took it back to dealer; three days later I pick it up and everything seemed to work fine for about 10 days. They couldn't till me why it did what it did. During the 10 days or so, I even used remote start...until 3/4/19. Now I have no alarms, and no remote start, and no MEID.

So what gives? I've had the car 9 months and have 6,150 mile son it. I drive it with TLC and no one, other than the dealership, has driven it.

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
So no one else has seen a problem with MEID being all 0s and not being able to remote start?

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Update on status for posterity...

Genesis Customer Care walked me through a process to "wake the BlueLink up from a deep sleep" by turning on, off the car quickly times three. This did not wake up the BlueLink. MEID (IMEI) # still all 0s.

Another week later (this was yesterday) and they call from Corporate and say it may be the TMU (Telemetrics Unit), but they won't know until I drop of the car and they can do some testing. I guess Engineering is stumped....they represent my community so damned proudly. Anyway, the dealership calls me yesterday and there is no loaner available, so they have to wait until it's back in...maybe today or tomorrow. Of course, I predict I'll drop off tomorrow, they may, or may not, touch it until Monday, then they'll be wrong, do more testing, then decide to replace the iBox and everything touching it, so then I'll have to wait until all of the back-ordered parts come in, then the dealer will screw it up, then I'll have to wait longer. When I am finally reunited with the car, I'll have to go through setting up everything again, testing it, proving remote services work, and then when I drive off, something else they touched will reveal itself as messed up, or I'll find some damage they caused during the repair, etc. It'll just make the experience so much more stimulating and memorable. This is just a prediction, mind you.

I did ask Corporate point blank about any possible manufacturing issues they must be having with their suppliers of the head-unit, et al, and they would not confirm, nor deny. I gave several other examples where I was aware of this being issues with other drivers, and he clammed up. Guess they want to avoid any chance this will become a recall or TSB.

More to come as I get to learn more through this experience, obviously for my own damned amusement and chagrin.

Have a wonderful Friday-eve.

Last edited:

LD5050

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
::sub’d::

Hate that you’re dealing with it, but thankful you’re posting it here. Very interested to see how this pans out.
I dealt with Drone Mobile, one of the early adopters of smartphone-based remote start systems, a few years ago before the OEM brands started jumping on board, and there were all kinds of communication issues.

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
UPDATE 4/12/19 (Friday):

Dealership didn't have a loaner available until yesterday. I took lots of interior pictures of my car "just in case," then I dutifully dropped off my car during lunch. Just a short while ago I received a call from the dealership and they confirmed that the TMU is bad and they have ordered the part. Supposedly it will be in on Monday. I served 10 years in Submarines and I am a certified diver....even I know not to hold my breath waiting for that part to come in. I will be excited to know if that actually fixes the problem, or not.

PS. When I told my service advisor that the engineers had me cycle on and off the car three times to wake the BlueLink up from a deep sleep, she literally laughed. Glad I'm not the only one that finds that humorous.

Anyway, hoping for a great outcome next week. Have a good weekend folks. Think I'll take this 2019 G80 3.8 with a Sports package out to the club and get some range therapy in. Two new pistols to break in....and no TMU to worry about failing on them...

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
UPDATE 4/17/19:

Okay, this is what I hope is a final update. Hope it helps someone in the future.

I picked up the car today, six weeks and two days after the part failed. Side note: We get 36 months of the Connected Services on the manufacturer's dime...so I lost six weeks. I think I'll bring that up when Corporate calls back since it's been an inconvenience.

Anyway, I tested connected services functionality and everything is back to normal. I can see up-to-date info on the web and the app. I can start it, etc. I also checked and the MEID # is now populated with the serial number.

I asked what was replaced and they said the TMU. I asked again are you sure that was it and nothing else and they said yes. Because of my extreme doubt, I inquired further...they said this was an older problem they had with Hyundai's, but I was the first with a new Genesis at their Dealership, and yes, they are a Genesis dealership.

For your benefit (you're welcome), I took a gander at the invoice going to Corporate for compensation of the repair under warranty, and I compared it to my invoice with a $0 dollar amount. Here is what the warranty invoice had:
96510NTT BLUELINK UNIT ASSEMBLY REPLACEMENT
96510-B1510 UNIT ASSY-IBOX
Labor $125.50
Parts $923.65
Total Invoiced $1,049.15

When I went to take a picture of both invoices, she grabbed it from my hand and said it wasn't allowed. I told her that if I'm signing it, I have a right to a copy, and she said I did not. I told her look, if I had to get this repair myself, I'd like to know as a consumer how much I'd have to pay if I didn't have a warranty. She said you'd have to find out yourself if that ever happens. I just looked at her like she had a third eye on her forehead, because the way she said it, it reminded me of Pelosi saying Obamacare must be passed to see what's in it...holy snarkies that's a sad flashback. Luckily today was a good day and little did she know I actually got the picture of the invoice, I just acted like I didn't. So that's how I have the pricing info and that's how I roll...bazinga!

After doing a search for the part number on the invoice, it's the whole friggin headunit, also referred to as the iBox. Attached is a pic of the 96510H unit. The TMU is probably built in nowadays instead of being a separate unit.

Last update: Corporate said they don't have a history of this being an issue, but even outside of warranty, I'll be covered since it has happened to me.

Hope that is that...peace and blessings...

96510H -B1510 Unit Assy IBOX.png

Last edited:

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Well, slap my ass and call me Sally...none of the alerts (speed, geo-fence, etc.) work any longer. App or web. Dang it all. Thank goodness it’s under warranty, but frustrating as all get out...

Last edited:

Acpantera

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Well, slap my ass and call me Sally...none of the alerts (speed, geo-fence, etc.) work any longer. App or web. Dang it all. Thank goodness it’s under warranty, but frustrating as all get out...
HMMM, I'm having trouble with the alert settings on the app too, Mr. Incredible believes I may need apps installed on my Nav system to enable them.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
HMMM, I'm having trouble with the alert settings on the app too, Mr. Incredible believes I may need apps installed on my Nav system to enable them.

I'm guessing that Fuddy has the same issue as you Acpantera, since it is a new head unit, he likely has to redownload the apps to the car.

I just tested mine and had no issue, the Speed and Valet Alert set fine.

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm guessing that Fuddy has the same issue as you Acpantera, since it is a new head unit, he likely has to redownload the apps to the car.

I just tested mine and had no issue, the Speed and Valet Alert set fine.
That wouldn’t surprise me. I’ll try that...everything else was fine, like stereo settings, etc., so didn’t think that would need to be redone. Funny the dealership and Corporate both were scratching their heads. Can’t wait to suggest it to them...they still have the car.

Last edited:

Fuddy

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
BINGO! That was it. After the ibox was replaced, the 'Alert App' needs to be downloaded again within the BlueLink -> Apps menu. Downloaded it and everything is back to proper functionality. I demonstrated it for the dealership (as they were perplexed) and I contacted Genesis Corporate to let them know Mr. Incredible was in fact incredible and helped with the solution. I suggested updating the error message as it is misleading, and to update technical procedures so when they replace these units, they check to see that any previously loaded apps are reinstalled. Genesis Corporate was grateful and said they passed that to engineering and whoever else needed to know. At least that what's they told me.

Now this pesky situation is over and searchable for members dealing with similar issues in the future. Au revoir...