Remote start, Does the G80 have one?

AVShop

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and most likely going to pick up a G80 Sport (Maybe Tomorrow) and trade in my Ford Fusion.

I cant find anywhere online that the G80 Sport has a remote start feature. I'm in Canada so I don't know if this will have bluelink or not. Do your G80 have remote start?

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi Everyone!

I'm new to this forum and most likely going to pick up a G80 Sport (Maybe Tomorrow) and trade in my Ford Fusion.

I cant find anywhere online that the G80 Sport has a remote start feature. I'm in Canada so I don't know if this will have bluelink or not. Do your G80 have remote start?
BlueLink is fairly new in Canada but that is how remote starting is done, the app on a phone. There is no fob starter.

Skeeterman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Hi Everyone!

Genesis Intelligent Assistant by Hyundai Motor America

‎Genesis Intelligent Assistant on the App Store

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I use an iphone/IOS in the U.S. Application is named "Genesis Intelligent Assistant" (GIA). Correct, The GIA mobile application is the only way to remotely start the car. I wish this was an option on the FOB. When the "free" GIA subscription expires (2 years in the U.S.) I'll have to start paying ($99/year) for the subscription to retain this feature. It's not worth it to me. The subscription costs are on the owners.genesis.com website You'll need to have an account (free other than the purchase price of the car ;).

The GIA (Remote Subscription) also provides the following.
  • ALARM NOTIFICATION
  • CAR FINDER
  • VEHICLE SAFEGUARD ALERTS APP
  • REMOTE DOOR UNLOCK/LOCK
  • REMOTE HORN & LIGHTS
  • REMOTE LIGHTS
  • REMOTE START W/ CLIMATE CONTROL
  • REMOTE VEHICLE STATUS
  • STOLEN VEHICLE RECOVERY
  • STOLEN VEHICLE SLOWDOWN
I've posted this in other threads. I wish there was a way to remotely open and close the windows. My bosses 200x Accord has this feature from the key FOB. He uses it in my presence to annoy me.

Skeeterman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I've had same features in other cars and always drop the service when it costs. My other cars allow key FOB remote start so I didn't lose it when canceling. Sending directions to car, google search feature and remote start makes it harder to drop GIA because these are cool features that I use all the time. $99 is steep. Should be $49, then I'd bite.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Last edited:

Skeeterman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
$99 is steep? no not hardly. $8.25 per month, less than 2 cups of coffee at Starbucks

to compare,

Lexus is $240 a year,
BMW $300
GM OnStar is only month to month, no annual option any longer and it is $59.99/mo or $720 a year.

you aren't paying for remote start, you are paying for:

servers
WAN network bandwidth
the employees that maintain the system
data center rental and utility fees, etc.

subscription services are the wave of the future.. why only have a one time transaction with a customer when you can charge them month after month.

While I firmly believe a no app remote start should be offered at the very minimum, I understand why it is not. I don't agree with it, but I do understand.

in comparison, if you have a roadside service via your insurance or AAA or some such, you are essentially paying the same;

Through State Farm roadside is $6.99 a month, AAA is $74 a year. The difference is you are covered for multiple people/vehicles, but don't have the app connectivity, remote start, GPS tracking and stolen car recovery etc.

it's all about value, and whether or not you find value in the service.
I don't drink Starbucks. For same reason. Nice to meet you Mr. Incredible.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I’m with Mr. Incredible. On one hand, the keyfob-based remote start really should be either standard or at least an option and the subscription based version should then come as an extra.

Here’s why (for me).
  • I live in a hilly area with VERY bad reception and my car is located reasonably far away in covered ports, so it seems sort of dumb to walk all the way out there to start it. So, if this is relying on 3G/LTE to connect to the car (and I cannot configure it to connect to my home WiFi) then all this extra complexity has created a point of failure for me. The keyfob works at a very good distance already so this wouldn’t be an issue. If this worked over WiFi I think I’d be set, since I do actually have a directional WiFi antenna pointed towards my carport so I can still get a WiFi signal there 😏

• The app (which you’re then required to use) is also very poorly rated. Part of the issue people are having is the severe delay between issuing commands and actually taking effect. I haven’t tried it yet, but that concerns me.
Oh well, I guess. This is one of those things where if you wanted it badly enough, there may be some aftermarket options available to you.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Hi Everyone!

I'm in Canada too and I don't have the remote start for the 2018 G80 Sport. I even confirmed with the dealer it's not in my car for the 2018 and they said they don't install one either for it. I went to a third party who spent almost 3 hours and he couldn't install one (waste of time but he tried...). If you can find one that works, let me know! I miss the remote start feature that I had installed on my previous car.

3rdgen

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I'm in Canada too and I don't have the remote start for the 2018 G80 Sport. I even confirmed with the dealer it's not in my car for the 2018 and they said they don't install one either for it. I went to a third party who spent almost 3 hours and he couldn't install one (waste of time but he tried...). If you can find one that works, let me know! I miss the remote start feature that I had installed on my previous car.
I travel to Canada often and my US G80 sport has the remote start but it will not work in Canada. Genesis says it is in the head unit and not a software change.
Really frustrating

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I travel to Canada often and my US G80 sport has the remote start but it will not work in Canada. Genesis says it is in the head unit and not a software change.
Really frustrating
Definitely frustrating. Imagine not having remote start all together like Canadians with the G80 Sport! With our winters, I need it more so lol.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Definitely frustrating. Imagine not having remote start all together like Canadians with the G80 Sport! With our winters, I need it more so lol.
Married? Just send your wife out to start the car. I do that all the time and it works well. Honest, she is happy to do it for me. Cleans the snow off too if there is any. Really, I'd not kid about something like that.

chunk_split

Registered Member
SF Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Also frustrating for me now since I've had my car for over 3 weeks and I'm still waiting on them to resolve my Blue Link connection issues. Thankfully it's not a feature I'd use very often; it's just that plus all the other features that I'm missing out on right now.

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Married? Just send your wife out to start the car. I do that all the time and it works well. Honest, she is happy to do it for me. Cleans the snow off too if there is any. Really, I'd not kid about something like that.
Sounds like a keeper