Remote Start flashers

Thread starter #1

Earthdog

Hasn't posted much yet...
Canton, Ga
I am new to Genesis with my 2018 G80 Sport and haven't been through the encyclopedia of manuals yet so forgive the laziness.

Is there a way to tun off the blinking flashers when starting the car via Bluelink? When I remote started it last night as I was chatting with someone I go to enjoy 10 minutes off blinking lights...

Curt@MSN

Been here awhile...
Madison, WI
I am new to Genesis with my 2018 G80 Sport and haven't been through the encyclopedia of manuals yet so forgive the laziness.

Is there a way to tun off the blinking flashers when starting the car via Bluelink? When I remote started it last night as I was chatting with someone I go to enjoy 10 minutes off blinking lights...
Short Answer....No. At least I was never able to find a way with my 2016. I have a friend with a Sonata that has the same programming. I suspect if one had the equivalent of the Audi VAG-COM software and interface you could potentially make such changes - but that's pure speculation on my part.

AustinTX

Registered Member
Austin, TX

That is very likely a regulation or legal requirement, warning you and others that the car is running and creating emissions - in a closed garage that could be deadly or at least a health hazard. I also believe the remote start function will turn the car off after a specified amount of time, for the same reason.

Why would you even start the car remotely and then stand outside for 10 minutes chatting? If it's very hot or very cold (the only real use-case for the remote start feature - to get the interior of the vehicle comfortable), why would you stand outside the car?

GenesisX

Registered Member
Boston
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Has anyone figured this out yet? I can’t believe it’s a regulation or legal requirement or all cars would do it. I hate drawing attention to my car when I use the remote start.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
That is very likely a regulation or legal requirement, warning you and others that the car is running and creating emissions - in a closed garage that could be deadly or at least a health hazard. I also believe the remote start function will turn the car off after a specified amount of time, for the same reason.

Why would you even start the car remotely and then stand outside for 10 minutes chatting? If it's very hot or very cold (the only real use-case for the remote start feature - to get the interior of the vehicle comfortable), why would you stand outside the car?

near as I can tell it is a Korean regulation, and Hyundai didn't make separate programing for the US, the US regulation is the parking lights must illuminate, the Korean regulation seems to be they must flash. .

you'll notice they flash much slower than the hazard/4-way flashers do.. but they appear to be off the same circuit.

one wonders if disconnecting the 4-way switch or fuse would have an effect, either prevent the remote start or prevent the flash, maybe either.. who knows. I haven't ventured to test as it doesn't bother me.

ikonn

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I find it annoying as heck. On another thread, an experienced Hyundai owner said that people have complained about it for years but that it cannot be programmed off. I asked my dealer and find at they had to research it to find out that they couldn’t change it. Pretty stupid programming.

Re regulations, I had a US car that switched the parking lights on after remote start. But I had a Canadian car that switched no lights on at all. Either of those behaviours is better than my car calling unwanted attention to itself. So I do not believe that it’s regs that are driving this programming in North America. Like I said, just stupid programming.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I find it annoying as heck. On another thread, an experienced Hyundai owner said that people have complained about it for years but that it cannot be programmed off. I asked my dealer and find at they had to research it to find out that they couldn’t change it. Pretty stupid programming.

Re regulations, I had a US car that switched the parking lights on after remote start. But I had a Canadian car that switched no lights on at all. Either of those behaviours is better than my car calling unwanted attention to itself. So I do not believe that it’s regs that are driving this programming in North America. Like I said, just stupid programming.
I believe it to be a Korean and/or Asian country regulation and Hyundai choose not to alter the programming for other markets:

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.