• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Replace 9.2” Genesis Sedan head unit with the 8” for Apple CarPlay?

Brianf23

Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
As everyone knows, the 2016 Genesis Sedan with the 9.2” display can’t receive the Apple CarPlay update.

So my question is: Let’s say I got my hands on an OEM 8” head unit, could I replace my 9.2” head unit with the 8” unit (therefore being able to install Apple CarPlay)?

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
As everyone knows, the 2016 Genesis Sedan with the 9.2” display can’t receive the Apple CarPlay update.

So my question is: Let’s say I got my hands on an OEM 8” head unit, could I replace my 9.2” head unit with the 8” unit (therefore being able to install Apple CarPlay)?
Why not just get a dash, or console, mount for your smartphone? Here is just one option.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

skipgen

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
It would probably be easier to obtain a later model 9.2 head unit - those do have CP.

Toyed with that idea myself but never got an answer to whether it would be a plug & play installation. It would seem to be, but engineers love to change things...

I couldn't do 8" myself - it seems almost too small for the car. Looks huge in the wife's Kia Soul though.

shwwalker

Genesis Model Type
New user so I don't know if this question has been asked yet, but the 2018 G80 seems to have a similar head unit as the 2015/16, yet they have android auto. Would it be possible to replace the head unit with the 2018 one and get AA?

pulsar

SUSTAINING MEMBER
DFW
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
New user so I don't know if this question has been asked yet, but the 2018 G80 seems to have a similar head unit as the 2015/16, yet they have android auto. Would it be possible to replace the head unit with the 2018 one and get AA?
It will really depend if the head unit and how it functions will interface across model years? Could be other electronic controllers are involved other than head unit alone. Might be an expensive gamble.

shwwalker

Genesis Model Type
According to the video here, it looks like there's only 3 connectors attached to the display. If someone has the diagram for those connectors on the '15 and the '18, we could compare it to see if it's comparable. Does anyone know where to get wiring diagrams for these?

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
According to the video here, it looks like there's only 3 connectors attached to the display. If someone has the diagram for those connectors on the '15 and the '18, we could compare it to see if it's comparable. Does anyone know where to get wiring diagrams for these?
Have you tried posting in this thread? It's still actively discussed with people trying different things to get AA/AC working with older Ultimate trims. Post #148 actually references a 2015-2016 head unit diagram.

The Ruler

Genesis Model Type
I discussed this with MapnSoft yesterday. 2015/16 jog dial head unit was made by LG and the contract with them and Hyundai expired before they could complete a software upgrade for that unit. 2015/16 8.2" head unit and everything 2017 forward is made by Mobis which Hyundai purchased

Comp625

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I discussed this with MapnSoft yesterday. 2015/16 jog dial head unit was made by LG and the contract with them and Hyundai expired before they could complete a software upgrade for that unit. 2015/16 8.2" head unit and everything 2017 forward is made by Mobis which Hyundai purchased
I thought the Model Year 2017's used the same tech as the Model Year 2015 and Model Year 2016 (in both the 8" and 9" versions). It wasn't until Model Year 2018 where things got refreshed with AA/AC being supported regardless of trim or screen size.

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums