Replaced spark plugs 2013 Rspec

OUsig

Been here awhile...
Thread starter #1
I will try to post pictures of the plugs soon. I got the plugs online (ebay) for $10 each and yes OEM ones sealed with tape and all in Korean. The NGK plugs from a dealership will run closer to $18/plug.

Tools needed are a 1/4 and 3/8 ratchet, 10MM short and tall sockets, a few extensions each.
MUST is a swivel piece for both sizes.

It took me about 2 hours as I wasn't in a hurry at all and cleaned the areas when I was working. Along with spraying some Seafoam into the cylinder when removing each plug. The drivers side next to the firewall was a bit awkward but overall a VERY easy DIY. I was impressed that the coil packs honestly look brand new even after 94k miles.

Be sure to only get the OEM plugs. My opinion...
Now my car is very happy 😎

One tip - take off the plastic under cover because you will probably drop something and it helps to have that open.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
Thread starter #3
Very high voltage is created inside and they get very hot from the engine. Can you imagine the amount of heat cycles from 94k miles? I cant...but I bet a lot

My last vehicle (1999 Acura TL) showed deterioration on the parts around 120k miles when I replaced the plugs and got worse from there. I replaced all 6 after one failed at 150k miles.

Though there are obvious improvements since 1999 with engine and part design! Maybe I am impressed by the little things. Haha

Audio

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
haha I hear ya. I've worked on a lot of cars with coil on plug and the failed coils never look damaged on the exterior. It's one of those stupid parts that can work perfectly one day, look brand new, and fail 100% the next day. I hate them. The good news is, they're almost always easy to replace.

OUsig

Been here awhile...
Thread starter #5
here is a picture of the plugs - hopefully the orientation is clear. To me the plugs look pretty good but anyone that can really read what a used plug "says" about an engine feel free to chime in. I imagine the car was running a bit rich the last 5k miles or so due to a faulty purge valve. I could tell a big difference with the much lower amount of soot on the back bumper once I got that fixed.
and I agree Audio. replacing a coil is easy and VERY obvious when one goes out when driving!
Genesis spark plugs.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.