• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

replacement rim specs

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
looking to purchase rims and tires for winter, wondering what specs i need to look for. i am completely new to rims and tire sizes, looking for advice.

i have the 3.3T, but looking for 18 inches for winter to save on tire cost, found someone selling a set of wheels and the description is 5x114.3 18x8 48 offset, would that fit our car?

and if it does fit our car, what size/spec tire do i need to look for?

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
looking to purchase rims and tires for winter, wondering what specs i need to look for. i am completely new to rims and tire sizes, looking for advice.

i have the 3.3T, but looking for 18 inches for winter to save on tire cost, found someone selling a set of wheels and the description is 5x114.3 18x8 48 offset, would that fit our car?

Be careful getting different size wheels... the overall circumference of the tires should be the same as the factory. If your winter tires have a different circumference than the factory wheels, it will screw with the odometer. Basically, the cars computer is calibrated so that every one tire rotation is x miles... if you put a smaller tire (even ever so slightly) on, one rotation is less distance travelled, so your odometer will read higher than youve actually gone... This will ultimately screw with trip odometers, mpg estimates, odometer readings, etc...

Having said that, I don't believe that this will in any way affect the actual drivetrain and transmission, just the "stats" that deal with mileage. As long as all 4 tires are the same size, there should be no danger to harming any mechanical components. Just something to look out for...

In short: either get 19"s that are the same size as the factory, get 18"s that have the same circumference as the 19"s, OR get smaller 18"s and have the computer re-calibrated so it knows...

KDX

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
You could look at the available winter rims and tires on the Canadian site. They will be around $2500 Canadian if I remember right.

canucklehead604

one of the few 6MTs...
West Coast Canada
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70

check the available winter tire/wheel packages on the Genesis Canada website. if you stick to the same specs as those you'll be fine. overall circumference needs to be within 3% of OE sizes to maintain speedo/odo readouts.

there are lots of online calculators available Tire Size Comparison

going to 18" with more sidewall (taller tire) is a great idea for a winter set up. that's what i would do. slightly narrower is good as well as it increases the contact pressure to bite through snow/slush.

kmooney4

Registered Member
Maryland, USA
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
check the available winter tire/wheel packages on the Genesis Canada website. if you stick to the same specs as those you'll be fine. overall circumference needs to be within 3% of OE sizes to maintain speedo/odo readouts.

there are lots of online calculators available Tire Size Comparison

going to 18" with more sidewall (taller tire) is a great idea for a winter set up. that's what i would do. slightly narrower is good as well as it increases the contact pressure to bite through snow/slush.
Of the 3 options I presented, I too would go with an 18" setup for all the reasons canucklehead604 said.

I live in the U.S. in Maryland and will need something other than Summer tires to get me through the winter. All-Seasons on AWD would be fine, but why replace those beautiful factory Michelins for summer fun?? Looks like I might be going with an ugly, police-style steel rim with 18" winters for December - mid March LOL

kisceneret

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Going through the same exercise. From my research so far. All G70 models AWD at least have the same diameter of overall tire size for front and back. The staggering is only on the width perspective. The OE is 18x8, I think your offset needs to be at least ET40(40 or lower) to not have the wheels stick in too much. Based on the measurements on this ebay listing
2018 18 Hyundai Genesis G70 OEM Wheel Rim 19x8.5 52910-G9250 5x114.3 | eBay

19x8.5 ET46.5

For 18x8 ET48, your wheels still "sink" in about 8mm, an eye soar for sure.

FYI 225/45/18 sounds like the right size for the tires

Last edited:

dougjp

Getting familiar with the group...
Canada
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Some of the above posts are misleading, and I've yet to see a full answer the OP's questions. The 3.3 in Canada is available in two models, Dynamic with 18" wheels, same size front and rear, and Sport with 19" wheels, staggered front and rear size (ie; the rears ar 35 aspect ratio, the fronts are 40).

So assuming for winter tires a 17" wheel won't clear the brake calipers in either model. 18" not only saves money compared to 19" but snows work better with the slightly taller sidewall and reduced width. The tire size going on the 18" wheel has to be the same size as the original equipment 18" for the reasons stated before.

Now hopefully someone from Genesis will chime in with the complete wheel specs and tire sizes for 18". And confirmation that, as far as anyone can tell, any 18" wheel that meets the specs will clear the calipers.

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Thanks all for the info, would a 18x9 +30 5x114.3 fit? Would I need to pay a lot more for tires by going up an inch on the rim width?

i still need to check with the seller on the bore size and also to make sure the rims will fit our brembos.

kisceneret

Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Of course you will always have the option of running stretched tires, but I wouldn't personally run less than 235 for a 9 inch setup. Combined with +30 offset, its gonna stick out additional 16mm more. Probably not a good idea

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
ty all for the tips, so glad to have the pros teaching the noobs like me, i will stick with looking for 18x8 then.

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
Took the car in for windshield replacement (had a stupid rock chip and ended up cracking), asked the guy for some wheel specs while the car is in the shop:

3.3T Sport

19x8, offset+35, bore 67.1 for the front
19x8.5, +30, 72.6 for the rear

Hope this helps anyone looking at replacement wheels.

Gianttama

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
What did you pay for the windshield? I assume since the car hasn't been out long the only option is OEM glass and it is likely pricey.
just the deductible from my insurance. i will see what the total comes in if i was to pay out of pocket. my insurance here doesn't cover factory windshields i don't think. most folks to buy that option for their insurance here as far as i know. when i had my mazda3 windshield done, it was 3rd party windshields.

I called the dealer, they don't deal with insurance claims directly, and referred me to the shop they contract out, so i let the shop take care of it, they met me at the dealer and work right there, still waiting for a call to pick up the car as we speak. took 3 weeks for the part to come in thou. (i was warned by my bodyshop friend that hyundai's are known for their lack of parts and the amount of time it takes to get their parts in lol)

Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums