Replacing coolant in Genesis 2009 v8

zman2012

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Has anyone replaced the coolant on a Genesis 2009 v8? I tried to do it but it didn't quite work. A little less than a gallon of the coolant drained from the drain on the driver side of the radiator. There is supposed to be about 3 gallons of it in the cooling system. Is there another drain I need to open or detach a hose? Any help is greatly appreciated.

OneFunGenesis

<- Runnin' on Empty
Rochester, NY
Did you open the port at the highest point of the engine? If the system is still closed-loop it will not drain as it is creating a vacuum effect. Opening the highest point will allow for air to break the vacuum

xiaphin

KDModerator
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Bay Area
Genesis Model Type
Has anyone replaced the coolant on a Genesis 2009 v8? I tried to do it but it didn't quite work. A little less than a gallon of the coolant drained from the drain on the driver side of the radiator. There is supposed to be about 3 gallons of it in the cooling system. Is there another drain I need to open or detach a hose? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I haven't done it but your answer is going to be in OneFunGenesis' signature. Download the manual and see what the procedure is, I'd also like to know.

zman2012

Genesis Model Type
Thank you for your responses. I will try loosening the upper radiator hose before I try the manual. Will post the results but it will be couple of weeks before i try it again. Your help is appreciated.

zman2012

Genesis Model Type
Here is an update. I tried to replace the coolant again but no luck. Only 3 quarts of 12+ quarts drained from the drain plug. Disconnecting the upper rad hose did not help.
I also bought two shop manuals one after the other. First didn't have a procedure for coolant replacement. The second manual that was from Alldata had a procedure but it was just the generic procedure that works on most cars. Also tried the manual from OneFunGenesis which is the same as the Alldata manual. I was able to get refunds for both manuals w/o any issues :).

I think the problem is where the lower rad hose is attached. On most cars its attached at bottom of the engine but on this car it's attached at just about the same place as the upper rad hose. So both are at the same level. As a result the coolant only drains from the radiator itself and not from the engine.

I thought about attaching my wet vac to the upper rad hose that I had disconnected to see if it will suck out coolant from the engine but chickened out :). I thought it may create issues with purging the air out of the system after the refill.

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
I drain whatever quantity wants to come out, and empty the overflow reservoir, and don't worry about it. I repeat every two years or so.

Sluh

Registered Member
Here is the coolant replacement procedure attached.

Attachments

• Coolant.pdf
    83.5 KB · Views: 129

zman2012

Genesis Model Type
Thank you fro your time and effort. This is the generic procedure that works for most cars but not for Genesis 2009 sedan. It was in one of the manuals I purchased.

Sluh

Registered Member
Thank you fro your time and effort. This is the generic procedure that works for most cars but not for Genesis 2009 sedan. It was in one of the manuals I purchased.

Well, that's what it is in the factory repair manual for Genesis sedan that dealers use. I will be changing mine soon and will share my experience.

zman2012

Genesis Model Type
Can't wait to hear how it goes for you! Maybe you will have better luck :)

kn5owa

Sustaining Member
Moral to the story:

Manuals are worthless.

Generic procedures are more worthless.

Whenever I tackle a job like this - I make notes for a computer file - occasionally with digital pix - to use when I do it over again. Cars, plumbing, everything.

Occasionally, you find a youtube video that helps.

Sluh

Registered Member
What I did on some other cars, that were refusing to drain acceptable amount of coolant through the radiator/hose:

Remove the radiator cap

Open the radiator drain petcock

Let the radiator drain

Close the radiator cap

Disconnect the top radiator hose

Take a shopvac, connect the hose to it's exhaust side, plug the top radiator outlet with my palm and blow in the engine hose with a shopvac.

This will force a lot of coolant out of the engine to the radiator where it will drain through the petcock. Some will still sit on the bottom of the engine block, but a very good share of coolant will drain.

Empty the overflow tank, close the petcock and reconnect everything back.

Refill the radiator with water (I prefer distilled). I love this funnel, that attaches to the radiator. https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24680-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B00A6AS6LY

Start the engine and let it warm up till fans come on and most of the air gurgles out to the funnel that you keep half filled with water.

Let it cool down and repeat the drain process.

Then I will refill it with coolant. If it is a concentrate, I dilute it to 60/40(distilled water) mix instead of 50/50 to account for some water that left in the engine. Let it gurgle out well, cool down, remove the funnel, put the cap on and fill the overflow tank with the same mixture.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums