Replacing Equus Headlights

brucehulkbanner

Hasn't posted much yet...
MD
These look great! I also have a 2016 Signature. So in the end, you just replaced the headlights and got them to work right? You didn't need to do any additional wiring or change the bulbs?
[/QUOT
Alright thank you so much for the fast responses! This whole post has been incredibly helpful! I'm hoping to get mine changed too but I don't think I'll do any wiring or bulb modifications hahaha. As long as the lights turn on I'll be happy
You will be pleased either way and it will update your vehicle tremendously. At night the lights look awesome. Good luck

maybach11

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
20200610_141308.jpg
Did anybody have this problem? Only the LED DRLs will turn on with the light settings. I cannot get the halogen bulb or 3 LED reg bulbs to turn on. I have a 2016 signature btw

loose_unit

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I understand the wiring is different and these will only work out-of the box with the Ultimate. You should look there first.

I don't think it is a huge change to get them to work, but I understand there is some re-wiring to be done.

maybach11

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I understand the wiring is different and these will only work out-of the box with the Ultimate. You should look there first.

I don't think it is a huge change to get them to work, but I understand there is some re-wiring to be done.

Hmm but I do see other owners in this post who have Signatures and got theirs to work. Really appreciate the fast feedback though!

brucehulkbanner

MD
View attachment 29889
Did anybody have this problem? Only the LED DRLs will turn on with the light settings. I cannot get the halogen bulb or 3 LED reg bulbs to turn on. I have a 2016 signature btw
I have a
View attachment 29889
So with them just being plugged in and the inside switch on auto what happens? in order for mine to look like yours I have to turn the parking lights on. In Auto all of my lights are off, parking lights makes the LED ring and the Angel eyes come on, when the headlights are turned on LED strip, Halo ring, and the three LED headlights are on

I have a signature and it was direct plug and play. Halogen DRL came on alone with Halo eyes and led outline. I had the mechanic install a relay to kill the halogen bulb but that was a choice not a requirement

maybach11

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Do the turn signal portion work?
Hi burcehulkbanner, I really appreciate your fast response as well! So when light switch was off nothing was on. When it's in parking, auto, and on, only the DRLs will show up. The turn signals always worked. And when I tried flashing my high beams, again only the DRLs stayed on. The halogen bulb and the regular LED bulbs never turned on. I did notice the KDM headlights have an additional port for another jack it seems (highlighted in red circle), but I dont think that has anything to do with it.

1591816952424.png

brucehulkbanner

MD
Hi burcehulkbanner, I really appreciate your fast response as well! So when light switch was off nothing was on. When it's in parking, auto, and on, only the DRLs will show up. The turn signals always worked. And when I tried flashing my high beams, again only the DRLs stayed on. The halogen bulb and the regular LED bulbs never turned on. I did notice the KDM headlights have an additional port for another jack it seems (highlighted in red circle), but I dont think that has anything to do with it.

that extra Port doesn't have anything to do with it

brucehulkbanner

MD
I understand, it took me two months and 4 mechanics to get this right because I couldn't get answers anywhere. That's why I want to try to help you as fast as possible. Now my centennial lights match the year of my car. You have a 2016 what year are the lights? do your lights have the ballast in them? Big silver box underneath?

brucehulkbanner

MD
Without modification it should be direct plug and play. This is what should be occurring. When the Headlight switch is on auto (during the day of course) or off only the halogen inside the Halo eyes should be lit like your regular equus lights. When the stalk is on parking lights halogen DRL is still on inside the illuminated halo ring and led outline is lit along with taillights (which can barely be seen unless dark so its not known your parking lights are on and seems stock) and of course when switch is ON the halogen DRL goes out, 3 small led headlights come on with Halo and led outline. Were the headlights fully functioning prior to buying or are they brand new?

brucehulkbanner

MD
I initially thought that port control the auto-leveling but the lights are fully functional with that Port left alone as there is nothing to plug into it on the US model anyway

maybach11

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
I dont know the year of the lights but I dont think thatd be an issue. I was told that one side was working and taken from a car and the other side is brand new. Both sides also do have the big silver box underneath just like yours did. I was at a Hyundai dealer testing these and I do think the cars engine wasnt completely on but since the turn signals functioned (when I pushed up the lever to make right turn signal), I also dont think that would matter. Im going to go to a different mechanic tomorrow and ask to install the Drivers side first to see if it works 20200610_164513.jpg 20200610_164728.jpg

maybach11

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Also when we were testing the pass side light, the driver's side still had the original US-spec lights. Again I don't think this should impact the performance. But as an fyi, when the drivers side US had the regular beam on (light on position), the left side KDM only had the LED halos (no halogen, no reg 3 bulbs). The only guess I have is perhaps the wiring is slightly diff on a 2016 b/c it was the last model year? That or the KDM lights I have arent really compatible with my car...

brucehulkbanner

MD
I dont know the year of the lights but I dont think thatd be an issue. I was told that one side was working and taken from a car and the other side is brand new. Both sides also do have the big silver box underneath just like yours did. I was at a Hyundai dealer testing these and I do think the cars engine wasnt completely on but since the turn signals functioned (when I pushed up the lever to make right turn signal), I also dont think that would matter. Im going to go to a different mechanic tomorrow and ask to install the Drivers side first to see if it works View attachment 29892 View attachment 29893
Okay good, was just trying to start from the basics. several Hyundai dealerships were no help to me and many mechanics would not remove the bumper because they were saying it would not fit although I had done all the research and was willing to pay lol after two months of various attempts, I went to No Limit who does custom work on cars,rims etc and the guy called me within 20 minutes and said what's the problem with hooking these up they came right on and offered to install the relay to cut out the halogen bulb unless I turn on my high beams so that it would have the true 2020 all LED Halo look. Good luck. Hope it's something simple but your on the right track

maybach11

Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Hahaha that's good to hear. Yeah hopefully the shop I go to tomorrow can figure something out, although seeing the plug & play in action at the Hyundai dealer did puzzle me. Where is No Limit? I'm based in the DC area and if it's close enough maybe I'll go there as a last result!

brucehulkbanner

MD
Hahaha that's good to hear. Yeah hopefully the shop I go to tomorrow can figure something out, although seeing the plug & play in action at the Hyundai dealer did puzzle me. Where is No Limit? I'm based in the DC area and if it's close enough maybe I'll go there as a last result!
your in luck it's in baltimore md on bel air rd. about an hr away. by appt only but give them a call. they may can fit you in

No Limit Incorporated

(410) 426-7467

6503 Belair Rd, Baltimore, MD 21206

Hours:
Closes soon: 7PM ⋅ Opens 8AM Thu

brucehulkbanner

MD
Im sure they fit. I didnt see it mentioned but were both plugged in at the same time? maybe that is a cause? looking forward to hearing good news. now i wont be the only one in the dmv

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums