Replacing sidemarker bulbs on '09 Genesis

consilius

Registered Member
Calgary, Alberta
Hi guys, there hasn't been any write-ups on the replacement of the sidemarker bulbs.

Mine died (Pics below):

They are impossible to replace unless the headlights are removed. Tried removing the headlights without the bumper off but this looks like a bumper removal job (Takes 5 minutes).

Headlight removed:

Rear shot of Headlight

Sidemarker Bulb Housing (194 Bulbs)

Passenger Side

Driver Side

BEFORE

AFTER

Bulvine

Getting familiar with the group...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Nice pics. I also have a passenger mark light out but I have been brave enough to try and pull the bumper cover off to pull the light out. Might look like bulbs. Did you replace yours with LEDs? I think if I where to pull it all apart I would replace all of them in hopes not to have to do it again soon...

consilius

Registered Member
Calgary, Alberta
Nice pics. I also have a passenger mark light out but I have been brave enough to try and pull the bumper cover off to pull the light out. Might look like bulbs. Did you replace yours with LEDs? I think if I where to pull it all apart I would replace all of them in hopes not to have to do it again soon...

The originals are the 194 socket wedge bulbs that are found in the sidelight, floor light and the courtesy lights.

Yes, I replaced them with LEDs.

The colour won't matter due to the reflector.

I've never done an oil change in my life and I was able to remove the bumper.

Will post bumper removal instructions tomorrow.

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Were the LEDs a straight replacement or was there something you have to do to convert it. The parts store said the 168 bulbs were the replacements for my marker light. I sure hope they arent wrong cause if I pull it apart and its not the right bulbs I'm gonna be pissed.

consilius

Registered Member
Calgary, Alberta
sub'd for bumper removal. I have done it before but dont remember it lol
Created a separate thread in the DIY section.

http://genesisowners.com/hyundai-genesis-forum/showthread.php?p=177071#post177071

Were the LEDs a straight replacement or was there something you have to do to convert it. The parts store said the 168 bulbs were the replacements for my marker light. I sure hope they arent wrong cause if I pull it apart and its not the right bulbs I'm gonna be pissed.

The 168 bulb is a brighter bulb because it is a higher wattage bulb than the 194. Both are the exact same size. You'll see all aftermarket bulbs on web sites show 194/168 wedge or some similar type.

As far as higher/lower wattage bulbs, the above applies for conventional bulbs.

However, it would not apply to LEDs as they give the light output that they are spec'd for.

Straight replacement. Plug it in and test it. If it does not light up, flip the bulb over and try again. It will work. LEDs will not work if the +/- are not correct. It will not damage the bulbs. However, with conventional bulbs, either way works.

Hope this helps!

Bulvine

Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Where did you get your LEDs? Pretty sure Advanced Auto parts wont have them. :)

Oh, and do you have the 7 Speaker stereo? or do oyu have the nav system? I have been looking to swap out my Stereo (basic 7 speaker, single disc, and no bluetooth) for a better unit. I have seen some with the same display (no nav) with 6 disc changer and bluetooth. But finding anything with and detail knowledge about swapping them has proven difficult.

Thanks

consilius

Registered Member
Calgary, Alberta
Where did you get your LEDs? Pretty sure Advanced Auto parts wont have them. :)

Oh, and do you have the 7 Speaker stereo? or do oyu have the nav system? I have been looking to swap out my Stereo (basic 7 speaker, single disc, and no bluetooth) for a better unit. I have seen some with the same display (no nav) with 6 disc changer and bluetooth. But finding anything with and detail knowledge about swapping them has proven difficult.

Thanks

I've had some spare 194 bulbs from Diode Dynamics.
I have the HP5's (http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/2009-2013-hyundai-genesis-sedan-sidemarker-leds-pair#!prettyPhoto).

I have the 17 speaker Lexicon Logic7 surround sound.
Yes, I do have the Nav system with DIS.

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums