• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Result of Sleeping at the Wheel

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This is the result of sleeping at the wheel. Not me, mind you, but the driver that hit me. I was stopped on the Interstate in a construction zone when I looked in my rear view mirror to see the green Buick approaching at a high rate of speed. It was clear very quickly that the driver was not going to stop, but unfortunately I had no time for an escape. The driver hit my vehicle so hard that he lifted into the air and landed almost perpendicular to the roadway. The only roadway damage and skid mark appears to have come from my vehicle at the point of impact suggesting no brakes were applied by the driver of the green Buick. The driver fully admitted to falling asleep.

My question is for those that have a lease, and more specifically those that have also suffered significant damage to their vehicle. At this stage it's too early to tell if this can be repaired or if the at-fault insurance company will deem this a loss, but assuming they opt to repair, how do I ensure that the repairs are done to a level of satisfaction that won't come back to haunt me at lease end? In other words, how do I ensure that when I turn in my vehicle the lease end process doesn't determine that my vehicle was not repaired sufficiently?

Sigh... and yesterday was my 9 year anniversary. The wife and I had just that morning talked about taking my vehicle instead of hers for our week-long anniversary trip. Looks like her vehicle has now moved to the top of the roster.

daviderle

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I am glad you are ok. But please see a doctor/physical therapist to make sure everyone is fine, as now would be the time to make any claims, if necessary .
If it was me I would take it to a Genesis certifies repare shop to avoid future headaches.

I am no expert, but to my eyes, it looks like the axel moved couple of inches forward, which means most likely the drive shaft may also be damaged.
IMHO your best case scenario would be if it is declared a total loss so you can get into a new vehicle.

Regardless I do hope that you have gap insurance on your own policy, as most likely the other insurance wil only pay the ‘market value’ of the car.
The down side of repairing is cost limits, is the value based on the vehicle type/condition, so you may want to first make sure the other person insurance does not have upper limits? As well as they can work with your selected shop.

Some states allow low cost insurance that covers upto a certain value, at which point you or your own insurance would have pick up the rest of the cost of these repairs.

When I had a similar issue while traveling out of state, I found the other driver did not have sufficient coverage, so tapped into my insurance, gave them the details of the other driver and let them run with the headaches of trying to recover the funds.
You may want to also look into the ‘‘Diminished value’ (=depreciation) if your state mandates such insurance coverage .just my two cents based on what I went through in the past...

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
daviderle said:
You may want to also look into the ‘‘Diminished value’ (=depreciation) if your state mandates such insurance coverage
Thanks. Diminished value is not likely something I can claim as this is a leased vehicle. I expect Genesis would have to make that claim if they want to bother.

I too am concerned that the wheels were knocked out of whack. All told, here is what I see:
  1. The rear crumple zone is... crumpled.
  2. It looks to me like there is no rear quarter panel, but instead a single sheet of metal running from just forward of the back wheel, up the side, and over the roof to form the front posts. If correct, that seems like a significant undertaking to deal with.
  3. The rear wheels may be knocked out of alignment and, as you said, the drive train may be impacted.
  4. The front bumper, grill, and radar unit is damaged.
  5. The hood is no longer in alignment which concerns me about front-end warping.
cappuccinoman said:
I can confidently say your car is a total loss.
You may be right, and that may be best. I worry about the integrity of the vehicle after what I expect would be extensive repairs.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Glad to hear occupants of your car seem to be ok as of now. This is a testament to Hyundai/Genesis's safety.

I feel fairly confident I can avoid an accident where sudden braking/steering is required. It's the guy behind that makes me very nervous. I've had several instances where I had to emergency brake. Looking in the rear view mirror and seeing the guy behind me fast approaching is a sphincter tightening moment.

May your Genny RIP.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
bubbaG80Sport said:
Glad to hear occupants of your car seem to be ok as of now. This is a testament to Hyundai/Genesis's safety.
Yep. I was telling my wife this morning that while I am a bit sore (and very stubborn), I am amazed at how well I am getting around. The interior of the Genesis seemed well protected although the outside looks, to my eyes, like a disaster. If my car is a loss, I am very likely to get another one. I'm that happy with it.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
EdP said:
If your dealer has a body shop, go there.
Funny you say that. I called them and was informed they are no longer a Genesis dealer. Got to love this transition from Hyundai to Genesis.

EdP said:
In the future, when changing lanes only get in front of cars that have AEB.
If only it were that easy.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Have you contacted Genesis yet? Does Genesis include GAP coverage in their leases?
I have called Genesis and reported the damage. I have not yet contacted Genesis Finance to report the same. As far as I recall, I do have GAP, but I will need to verify later this afternoon.

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
glennk said:
Did you finance the car along with the TT&L?
It's leased.

dareckibmw said:
I hope you are OK.
I am, and I'm not as sore as I had expected to be. I truly believe the Genesis did what it was designed to do, and I am experiencing little discomfort as a result. I have been considering my options if the vehicle is a total loss, and I keep coming back to getting another Genesis. Perhaps this time a G80 Sport. The thing that upsets me most: my vehicle is Parisian Grey, a color that is no longer available and one that I really, really like.

Most everyone seems to be in agreement that the vehicle is a total loss, including the rep when I called the insurance company to inquire about a rental. While she is not the adjuster on the case, when she looked at the pictures that were on file that I had submitted to the adjuster she said, "you should probably go ahead and clear out your vehicle of all your personal items and remove your tag."

I just don't know, and I won't until a determination is made. At this point, fault has been assigned, but Progressive has not yet picked up my vehicle for their inspection.

TurtleBoy said:
Does Genesis include GAP coverage in their leases?
I just read over the lease contract and, thankfully, yes they do as long as I keep in touch with them, which I've done, maintain insurance, which I've done, and immediately surrender any funds presented for the loss of the vehicle by the at-fault insurance company, which I will do.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Thanks. Based on both the at-fault insurance adjuster and my own insurance adjuster, it looks like the vehicle is going to be declared a total loss. Now I'm in limbo waiting for a final determination so I can figure out the next step.

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

ifonline

Been here awhile...
Braselton, GA
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Mr. Incredible said:
maybe you can buy a beater in the mean time and hang tight and get a 2020 Gen 3 G80 next year..
I’m looking at two potential vehicles: 2019 Genesis G80 Sport or 2019 Lexus ES350 Ultra Luxury. Obviously with the Genesis I have a positive history, but the Lexus offers some interesting additions that the Genesis currently doesn’t have. It will boil down to the experience behind the wheel and whatever deals are available when I look.

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums