Retrofiting a UNAVI Navigation System

Are you interested in retrofitting your OEM Navigation System over to a UNAVI System

• Total voters

CarLightTrends

Registered Member
We would like to reach out to the Genesis Owners Community as we have been asked many times if our Navigation System can be installed in a Genesis that has existing OEM Navigation. As our current system is only for non-navigation cars we have talked about this here at the office and I'm sure that it can been done we just need to have enough interest in moving forward and developing a system that can retro fit our Navigation System into a Tech or Touch Screen Equipped Genesis. As for pricing this we can not answer at this time since its very early to know what would be involved or needed. I do know that we if we do move forward we will need a local car for testing, If there are any members that are local to the Brea CA area, please contact us in regards to using your car for testing when its needed.

jtreadway

Registered Member
Hey admins, this poll really needs to get sticky so we can get some visibility! This is a good opportunity to get a manufacturer to see whether or not this community wants a product brought to market that addresses some very real issues that many of us have complained about on this forum. Having this buried does not help us, can we get this front and center for 30-60 days? IMHO.

buju

Hasn't posted much yet...
Hi,

I've just purchased a 2012 Genesis with Premium Pkg. that includes the Nav system. Not sure what the Tech Nav is vs OEM Nav - I want to get the Unavi on my Nav and want to vote... Not sure what poll option to pick in my situation.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Hi,

I've just purchased a 2012 Genesis with Premium Pkg. that includes the Nav system. Not sure what the Tech Nav is vs OEM Nav - I want to get the Unavi on my Nav and want to vote... Not sure what poll option to pick in my situation.
The Base Trim Level has no OEM Nav. Also, in 2009, the Premium Package had no Nav. There are two OEM Nav systems:
  • Premium Package - Touch Screen Nav
  • Tech Package - Nav with DIS and voice control

PMCErnie

Registered Member
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Hi,

What's wrong with the touchscreen unit that you have now?

buju

What's wrong with the touchscreen unit that you have now?
Hi, the maps are old and upgrading the firmware and the maps on this unit is not DIY.
What I want most:
  • Yearly map updates (as cheap as possible - lifetime contract desired, like Garmin - likely just a dream)
  • Ability to play playlists off a USB, with full song song info - likely not solvable with the upgrade to Unavi either - or is it?
Thanks

buju

The Base Trim Level has no OEM Nav. Also, in 2009, the Premium Package had no Nav. There are two OEM Nav systems:
  • Premium Package - Touch Screen Nav
  • Tech Package - Nav with DIS and voice control
I have the touchscreen Nav, which comes with my Premium pkg. In the poll I see though 2 options" OEM Nav and Tech System. What I didn't notice is that the OEM Nav also says touchscreen and since the tech pachage has controls from the DIS I get it now that it is OEM that I should select. Thanks.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
I have the touchscreen Nav, which comes with my Premium pkg. In the poll I see though 2 options" OEM Nav and Tech System. What I didn't notice is that the OEM Nav also says touchscreen and since the tech pachage has controls from the DIS I get it now that it is OEM that I should select. Thanks.
Yes, the poll is confusing. My understanding is that this poll is for people with the following Genesis sedan Packages:
  • I have a TECH System in my Genesis (for those with Technology Package - DIS)
  • I have the OEM Touch Screen Navigation System (those with Premium Package Nav only)
Obviously, both of Navs above are OEM. Note that in 2009, Premium Package did not have Nav, so it is already compatible with the UNAVI system (along with Base Trim for all years). Starting in 2010 or 2011 (not sure which) Premium Package included touch-screen Nav. Also, in 2009 the Technology Package was not standard equipment on the 4.6L V8.

RonJ

Registered Member
I'd be interested because it would seem that a map update will not be made available for my 2013 Premium Genny. The maps that are presently in it are badly out of date and poorly done. Hyundai addressed their fuel mileage claims issue, wish they would do the same for this issue. They didn't tell me before I handed over my cheque that the GPS function was out of date and wouldn't be updated. A person just assumes that the system will work and be reliable and useful for the life of the vehicle. I was wrong. I have no issues with the rest of the car but this one ticks me off.

RonJ

Alwaysforward

Been here awhile...
South Florida - Treasure Coast
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I'd be interested because it would seem that a map update will not be made available for my 2013 Premium Genny. The maps that are presently in it are badly out of date and poorly done. Hyundai addressed their fuel mileage claims issue, wish they would do the same for this issue. They didn't tell me before I handed over my cheque that the GPS function was out of date and wouldn't be updated. A person just assumes that the system will work and be reliable and useful for the life of the vehicle. I was wrong. I have no issues with the rest of the car but this one ticks me off.

RonJ
Honda is no better. We got my wife a new 2012 Honda Civic EX-L and found the same issue with the maps being out dated. 12 months later we get this letter in the mail that if we wanted to upgrade the maps we would have to pay $146 bucks. Pissed me off...

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type

RonJ
I have never heard of any automaker who provides free lifetime GPS updates. "Occasionly" you can get one free upgrade. You get Hyundai GPS map updates from MapnSoft. Not sure who told you they will never have a map update available. They don't have an update right now for the 2013 model, but "it appears" they will have an update (V7) available on February 17 through June 30 (2014) for a special price of $99 (one half of the normal price).
https://www.mapnsoft.com

RonJ

Registered Member
I have never heard of any automaker who provides free lifetime GPS updates. "Occasionly" you can get one free upgrade. You get Hyundai GPS map updates from MapnSoft. Not sure who told you they will never have a map update available. They don't have an update right now for the 2013 model, but "it appears" they will have an update (V7) available on February 17 through June 30 (2014) for a special price of $99 (one half of the normal price).
Hey Mark, that's good news that just showed up, I'll take advantage of it, for sure!! Any idea if this is a user or dealer installation?

RonJ

katman0

Been here awhile...
Mark_888; thank you for this link. I was surprised that it is also for CDN vehicles. It does show that I must go to the dealer to have it done.
Thanks again

dg_moore

Been here awhile...
Maryland
Mark_888; thank you for this link. I was surprised that it is also for CDN vehicles. It does show that I must go to the dealer to have it done.
Thanks again
Currently (Feb 14) the MapNSoft website says to contact the dealer for pricing. They say V7 is to be released Feb 17. When V4 was released I was able to purchase it directly from MapNSoft and install it myself. I have emailed them to see if the same will be possible when V7 is released (and the promotional price of $99 is a lot better than the standard price).

I'll post back when I get a reply from them.

Mark_888

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Hey Mark, that's good news that just showed up, I'll take advantage of it, for sure!! Any idea if this is a user or dealer installation?
I am not sure. In the past those with Premium Package Nav (touch screen) could download the update and install themselves, and those with Tech Package Nav (DIS) had to got to the dealer to get it done. But I am not sure how that works anymore.

int077

Registered Member
I'm going to my dealer nest Thursday to get the new GPS updated V7.
Price for the update is $175.00 Cdn + Tax. The Service manager told me they had the V7 update since December 2013. 4 hours install according to Service manager.

stevebxl

Getting familiar with the group...
I have a 2008 SUV with a 2008 Nav system. Rather than paying $200 for an annual update each year, I bought the latest voice activated Garmin with life time updates. Only need it when going out of town. Works great :)

RonJ

Registered Member
I have a 2008 SUV with a 2008 Nav system. Rather than paying $200 for an annual update each year, I bought the latest voice activated Garmin with life time updates. Only need it when going out of town. Works great :)
Hi Steve, where do you mount the Garmin when you are using it? I'm assuming that you use the suction cup mount.

I'm guessing that if it's stuck on to the existing NAV screen, you wouldn't be able to access the audio controls on the touch screen. I'd like to stay away from sticking it on the windshield.

Thanks, RonJ

CarLightTrends

Registered Member
Good day Gentlemen.

I need to apologize if anyone was confused about the poll, what we are trying to gauge as who would be interested in retrofitting our newest X5 Navigation System into their Sedans that have the OEM Navigation System.

Now we are also trying to gauge as to how many of you that are interested have the following:

1) Technology Package - DIS
2) Premium Package TouchScreen Navigation.

All questions are welcome.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.