Second Generation Reverse Engineering of the 17 speaker Lexicon sound system (POOGE)

Nfmosch3829

Registered Member
So since its my daily and its cold its hard to work on but originally i was gonna take the signal after the amp and reprocess it through a dsp or find which optical cable is the media one use a powered splitter and then use a dsp with optical in would be my way of doing it correctly do you know which optical line is the media

Aurally

Hasn't posted much yet...
Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
As eluded previously, the MOST bus is not a standard SPDIF/Toslink interface (MOST Bus - Wikipedia). For starters, it is a ring topology where all devices are linked in a ring, so it always needs two optical cables. Unless your DSP supports it (I don't think there are many on the market), you will have to resort to something more extreme.

Nfmosch3829

Registered Member
Off the top of my head audison bit dmi will work if the back of the radio upfront has the dual optical hard to find pictures online but it looks like it does

Aurally

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
That's a nifty interface device, but it does not look like it supports multichannel according to the brochure. This may be ok, if you don't play DTS/AC3 audio disks. Anything from the usb stick, as far as I have tried, only seems to send two channels info to the amplifier on MOST, and gets processed into multichannel in the trunk. In this case, an Audison interface+DSP will allow you to roll your own.

The best sound I got from the system is playing DTS encoded DVDs, though. In this case, it looks like the head unit just passes through the signal onto the MOST bus, and is not limited by the decoding of the head unit any more.

1609794813586.png

Suburbazine

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Louisiana
Genesis Model Type
Off the top of my head audison bit dmi will work if the back of the radio upfront has the dual optical hard to find pictures online but it looks like it does
Yes, dual optical on head unit

Nfmosch3829

Registered Member
Thanks for the info and help i really would wana keep everything functional whqt if i split the toslink and just ran it to the dsp instead would that play all tracks im alil confused but would rather gather the source before the trunk amp

Aurally

Massachusetts
Genesis Model Type
Unless you are planning to change out every single speaker driver in the car, I would not go the full 8 channel dsp route. In this case, it almost pays to have a professional person with experience do it.

I assume the goal here is to add more bass, and not change out the entire system. In this case, I would use the addition as an entirely supplemental system to the current 7.1 Lexicon:

- Add the Audison Bit into the MOST ring using an optical jumper cable (maybe this: US $8.83 5% OFF|Free shipping MOST Optic Fiber Jumper Cable Multimedia Connectors 2 Female to 1 male For Audi BMW Benz Porsche Amplifier unit|Cables, Adapters & Sockets| - AliExpress ) so it is in effect eavesdropping on the MOST network. The original Lexicon trunk amplifier will stay hooked into the system as is.
- I assume the Audison will "listen in" on the MOST bus, and will activate whenever it sees a stereo signal and grab it. In rare cases when there is multichannel music, your supplemental system will stay silent because the Audison cannot process the signals.
- Feed the Audison Toslink output into some 2 channel DSP (like this: miniDSP 2x4 HD ), use this gadget to mix and filter the L+R signals into your subwoofer channel (mono or stereo subwoofers).
- hook up the output of the Minidsp into your subwoofer amp and woofer. The original subwoofer stays and still plays in addition to your new system.

This will be better than taking the signal from the subwoofer channel off the trunk amp, because:
- you are not taking off an analog signal from a power amplifier.
- you are working off the full range L+R channel signals for the subwoofer, so one can potentially get higher than 80Hz output.

Nfmosch3829

Registered Member
I will most likely be changing every speaker in the car, im not your average joe im certified in the automotive field as a tech, wiring and hands on are my strong points i rather take the optical signal so i can do a minimal of 8 channels preferable 12, then tune it via mic in center of vehicle ect ive done a few spl builds, nothing crazy record breaking just as a hobby but now that I'm older i wana build my first sq setup and to me this car would be a very good start with the fully enclosed doors 3 way left and rights center ect.

carguy75

Registered Member
Atlanta, Georgia
Genesis Model Type
Man, I was thinking that the 17 speaker Lexicon system in my 2015 sound great as is aside from a weak subwoofer. I guess it takes a true audiophile to highlight areas for improvement in the entire audio system.

I heard worst stock audio systems and actually paid good money to have an my old stock audio systems sound as good as my current 17 speaker Lexicon system sounds now with the aftermarket subwoofer.

Not perfect, but the 17 speaker Lexicon system does good out of the box if you can live with weak bass output.

Nfmosch3829

Registered Member
Yes, dual optical on head unit

Do you or anyone you know have the pin out of the back of the radio, from pictures i see more than one optical cable but i do see what appears to be a dual optical socket, im assuming that's the optical audio signal i would need to be jumping

Nfmosch3829

Registered Member
I think if i use the audison dmi in conjunction with an optical splitter ill cover that half of the signal and then see if i can jump the spdif +/- into a signal output, run both connections to a dsp that has both single optical in and single coaxial in then split it to how ever many channels i want..shouldnt that in theory cover both signals?

The Genesis License Plate Frame
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
hyundai palisade forums