• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Ridiculousness of Mercedes

Tdefrees

Registered Member
Utica, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Just for shits-n-giggles, I played around with building a new A-class out of curiosity. I know Audi, Merc, and BMW are pricey in regards to options, but tonight set a new low in terms of raping your customer. On the new A-class, you don't even get a garage opener. Its a f-ing option for $280! God I love my Genesis!

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

farandaway

Registered Member
at least they're not bundling it into some "convenience" package and charging $2000 for it!

Philip2

Hasn't posted much yet...
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
In my old age, I am now convinced that these "designer labels" are mostly a rip off. I had a Mercedes and I honestly do not see where it was any better than my G80. More impressive to be seen in though. I am not going to get into the rip off repair prices.
I may be delusional but I think most people who buy the 3 German luxury cars are insecure and looking for "label validation"

PMCErnie

Been here a long time....
Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
In my old age, I am now convinced that these "designer labels" are mostly a rip off. I had a Mercedes and I honestly do not see where it was any better than my G80. More impressive to be seen in though. I am not going to get into the rip off repair prices.
I may be delusional but I think most people who buy the 3 German luxury cars are insecure and looking for "label validation"
My only BMW (a ‘70 2002) was a lemon. Still, it would be worth plenty today.

ThoughtfulOne

Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Yep - German part prices tend to easily be 2-4x as expensive as Genesis, which in turn cost more than Hyundai. Lots of things also are more labour intensive. One issue with the 5.0 Genesis is that the oil change is difficult, although with the G80, they added doors underneath.

The Germans are even crazier, with some oil changes having a book time of 1 hour for just labour.

The issue is that they made vehicles more for leasing than long-term ownership. Genesis has its flaws, such as the higher fuel consumption as well, but they seem to be closer to Lexus in reliability and the next generation G80 is reportedly going to be a lighter weight vehicle.

A large number are.

There is another group that is looking for performance. That said, the Cadillac CTS V is a better value I think and perhaps someday we will see a Genesis performance division as well, like the Cadillac V, BMW M, Daimler AMG, etc.

Dai Uy Ted

Registered Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Titusville FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

PMCErnie

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
I don't see the prestige cache of the label so much anymore. I live in an area which could be charitably labelled "modest income", yet I see just about as many Mercedes as I do Toyotas. The star is as visible on cheapos and oldies as it is on high-end models.
It’s sad when people who can’t afford things jump into debt way over their heads and lose their lives financially. As my Dad used to say: “Any $&@# can buy a Cadillac.”

RCH04

Registered Member
Illinois
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
I've never bought into these labels on the people who drive various brands of cars. We can only imagine the label put on those who drive Genesis or any other brand (usually these things aren't favorable).

Rodney Dangerfield

Registered Member
Texas panhandle
Genesis Model Type
Mercedes allegedly put the priority on driving. They were always behind on creature comforts we expect like cup holders and sound systems. Had one, not interested in another. Can you spell a r r o g a n c e?
Euro spec German cars generally don't have cupholders in their vehicles because they focus on driving. It's a foreign concept to them that they would do anything while driving other than paying attention to the road. If they're thirsty, they pull over and have a drink then get back on the road. That being said, they have to go through something like two years of schooling and a lot of money to get their licenses so it stands to reason they would have a different approach to driving that we do in America. It's us dumb Americans that try to do everything including long division using an abacus while driving.

Alfer

Registered Member
USA
Genesis Model Type
Speaking of...I drove next to one of those laughable "Jaguar" cars that were made during the Ford era of ownership. I always laughed when I saw people (few) buying these horrible cars that basically looked like a rebadged Taurus thinking they had some kind of prestigious car.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

PMCErnie

Richmond, VA
Genesis Model Type
Speaking of...I drove next to one of those laughable "Jaguar" cars that were made during the Ford era of ownership. I always laughed when I saw people (few) buying these horrible cars that basically looked like a rebadged Taurus thinking they had some kind of prestigious car.
Yes, and the Aston Martin brand had problems then too.

joegr

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!
That would be the X-type, FWD and all.
On the other hand, the S-type (from the same era) was actually pretty good.

ThoughtfulOne

Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
I've never bought into these labels on the people who drive various brands of cars. We can only imagine the label put on those who drive Genesis or any other brand (usually these things aren't favorable).
For sure. Many German vehicle fans are critical of Lexus owners, who they see as "too cheap" to buy what they consider to be the "real thing".

I suspect that must think similarly of Genesis. In fact, they may even think less of us Genesis owners. To be honest, I don't really care. We are not buying a car to validate ourselves in front of them. We are not trying to impress anyone and certainly not brand snobs. Buy a vehicle because it fits your needs and because it is a good car for your particular needs. Buy for value, reliability, comfort, etc.

Performance car fans (I'd say they make up a minority) generally care more about performance, so sometimes they can be open minded, although there are also many badge obsessed status seekers among them. Typically the car that gets the best 0-60 mph (0 to 100 km/h) or quarter mile or lap times gets the most favorable reviews from them.

I'll say it again, I really think Genesis should be pushing for a performance marque (BMW M, Cadillac V, AMG, etc). It might win people from that demographic. The G70 has been quite popular among the folks in the performance demographic. The halo effect could be very beneficial.

One critique they do have (valid IMO) is that Genesis seems to not have a transmission that shifts as fast as the ZF 8 speed. At least that's a fair critique, unlike the brand obsessed folks. The other is that many of them criticize their companies (on many BMW forums for example, it is ok to criticize certain BMW vehicles) when they fail to deliver what their base wants. It also gives Genesis something to work on for the next generation. Same with the feedback about the current chassis used by the G80/90/70 being a bit too heavy and high fuel consumption. It's valid feedback (at least outside of the performance segment where fuel economy is not as an issue, which Genesis doesn't really have as discussed above).

Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums