• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Sadness

Gozar

Registered Member
Boise, ID
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
A kid, 18 yr old, punched it trying to cross 4 lanes plus a middle turning lane and did not see us, spun me 180. My wife and I are both ok. Early estimate at body shop is $25k and 3-4 weeks if parts do not need to be shipped from Korea. 4 months old with only 4K miles on it 😩

Mr. Incredible

SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport

Gozar

Registered Member
Boise, ID
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Idaho is a TLF State, in order to total a car the repairs + scrape value has to equal or exceed the ACV - actual cash value. So I am still a ways off from total. It is also a lease, so worst case I will turn it in at the end of the lease. I did call Genesis Finance so they are involved with the repair. Sucks I am stuck in this situation.....I would prefer they total it but it is out of my hands. At least I learned that a current model year with less than 15k REQUIRES the use of OEM parts, no reconditioned or used, as many Insurance companies try to get away with.

TurtleBoy

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Colorado
Genesis Model Type
No Genesis Yet!

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Gozar

Registered Member
Boise, ID
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
I do want it to be a total, any tips from on how to determine scrap value? Once they get it on a lift they will find more damage, so we are getting closer to a total loss number.

Bourbonncigars

It burns when I pee...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
I do want it to be a total, any tips from on how to determine scrap value? Once they get it on a lift they will find more damage, so we are getting closer to a total loss number.
In my experience that's always been the call of the insurance company. That may vary by state.

And if you believe what you read, that car could very well end up back on the market (if it were totaled) and have a clean Carfax.

RTK

Registered Member
SoCal
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G70
Agreed that should be totaled. I’d push the insurance company as far as you can to get it to that state.

Main thing is that you and your wife are OK. That looks like quite an impact.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90

Gozar

Registered Member
Boise, ID
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The drivers Insurance apparently is known for trying to cheap out. I am going to push hard, maybe even have my brother write them a letter (he is a lawyer with personal injury experience) and see if that helps. I will wait until they get it up on a hoist and see what mechanical damage they find first.
- crosses fingers for a total loss -

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Most, if not all parts should be available now. The G80 Sport has been out for over 2 years, and plenty have been sold. I had an order go out to a body shop a few weeks ago on a G80 Sport, and I had all parts within 2 days.

Who is the other driver's insurance company?

Gozar

Registered Member
Boise, ID
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Casualty Underwriters Insurance Company (CUIC). I hope you are right about parts availability. That would mean more like 3 weeks or so according to the body shop.

GarnetTy1473

Been here awhile...
Noblesville, IN
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Casualty Underwriters Insurance Company (CUIC). I hope you are right about parts availability. That would mean more like 3 weeks or so according to the body shop.
Never heard of them. State Farm is probably one of the best about going new OEM on repairs. They lost a billion dollar class action suit years back because of using cheap aftermarket parts. They now will only use new or used OEM on crash parts. They can still go aftermarket on mechanical parts, as long as the quality and warranty is comparable to the OEM. My wife wrecked her 2015 Sonata Limited a few months back. 110k miles, and they went new OEM on everything except the absorber. About 6 months ago, I sold a bumper cover on a 2003 Tiburon from a State Farm repair. No used ones available, and they still refused to go aftermarket. Allstate is one of the worst about going used or aftermarket. I saw them put a used subframe and suspension components on an Elantra with 3k miles on it. That is, until the owner took it to the dealer for it's first oil change and they questioned the repairs. The owner threw a big enough fit over it, rightfully so, that Allstate then bought all new parts.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

jimmy buoy

Getting familiar with the group...
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
What you need to do is place enough doubt in the insurance adjuster's eyes that this will be a one-estimate, one-bill claim. There is a high likelihood of hidden damage and continual issues that will mean more additional costs payable by the insurance company than originally thought. This will drive the price up closer to the "write off figures", but if the car is too far along with repairs before they consider these additional costs, they come to a point of no return so it's important to start convincing them now (not once they've already spent $15,000 on the partial repair).

I find that pulling on their heart strings about your situation does little, while pulling on their purse strings helps them make better decisions. They need to be convinced that in the long run, fixing will cost more than they're being told by the body shop - who by the way will be pushing for repair or they don't get paid.

Gozar

Registered Member
Boise, ID
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
And the story gets worse, the other driver only has $25k of liability. Thankfully I have underinsured motorist coverage but now my rates will go up.
I just want my car back....I had a 2011 Genesis 4.6, a 2016 Equus and now the G80 Sport, and it is my favorite by far.
What a frickin’ nightmare this has turned out to be.

Mcc

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Los Angeles
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G90
Last edited:
Tired of waiting for a Genesis SUV?
Pedal Commander
hyundai palisade forums