Seat Warmer Question

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
This morning when I tried to turn off the seat warmer which was in the High position, it would not turn off, ie, extinquish all three lights, and the third light started blinking. I assume the warmer was still on at this time. All three lights would not extinquish until I turned the car off. When I tried this again to see if it would turn off, it did as it always had before. The manual says to push the button in for 1.5 sec to turn off the warmer. I'm wondering if less than 1.5 sec puts it into the "locked" mode requiring the car to be turned off?

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
This morning when I tried to turn off the seat warmer which was in the High position, it would not turn off, ie, extinquish all three lights, and the third light started blinking. I assume the warmer was still on at this time. All three lights would not extinquish until I turned the car off. When I tried this again to see if it would turn off, it did as it always had before. The manual says to push the button in for 1.5 sec to turn off the warmer. I'm wondering if less than 1.5 sec puts it into the "locked" mode requiring the car to be turned off?
[2018 G80 Sport HTRAC] I have only turned of the seat warmer by pressing the button consecutively until all lights go off (e.g. If on high 3 lights/press button 3 x). This indicates pressing for less than 1.5 does NOT put it in a locked "mode". I'll test the behavior of holding the button for 1.5 seconds to see if it also turns the seat warmer off. I suspect the third light blinking was a failure indication and restarting the car reset/fixed the issue.

pmcjr

Been here awhile...
Florida
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Bubba...you're right about the "If on high 3 lights/press button 3 x)", that's how I would turn off the warmer also, but the 1.5 sec reference in the Manual made me forget this. When I went to turn if off this morning by pressing 3x from High, the 3rd light began blinking. I agree it was a failure of some kind, but what kind?

lobsenza

Registered Member
Austin, TX
If the button is held too long, the seat heater/cooler shuts off. I had this issue when I first installed timer circuits to turn on the heated/cooled seats at startup.

bubbaG80Sport

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Bubba...you're right about the "If on high 3 lights/press button 3 x)", that's how I would turn off the warmer also, but the 1.5 sec reference in the Manual made me forget this. When I went to turn if off this morning by pressing 3x from High, the 3rd light began blinking. I agree it was a failure of some kind, but what kind?
[2018 G80 Sport HTRAC] I confirmed pressing/holding the seat warmer/cooling button for about +1.5 seconds DOES turn off the seat warmer/cooling.
Re: kind of failure.
1) Faulty switch LED light(s)
2) Seat overheating protection/safety of some sort.

Skeeterman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
By the way, I believe I could fry an egg under my left thigh while seat warmer is 3-lights. Good to know I have burner mode in the event I need to start a campfire while stranded.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
By the way, I believe I could fry an egg under my left thigh while seat warmer is 3-lights. Good to know I have burner mode in the event I need to start a campfire while stranded.

I agree. I can't handle the #3 setting for very long, just long enough for it to heat up, then I drop it to #1.

in comparison to my RCF and my Wife's Camry where the heated seats are anemic, and don't ever get very hot, the Genesis can cook bacon, well at the very least keep my lunch warm.. lol.

Skeeterman

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
I agree. I can't handle the #3 setting for very long, just long enough for it to heat up, then I drop it to #1.

in comparison to my RCF and my Wife's Camry where the heated seats are anemic, and don't ever get very hot, the Genesis can cook bacon, well at the very least keep my lunch warm.. lol.
Bacon. I laughed out loud on that one.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
You need to hold and depress the seat warmer main button for 3 seconds or so, to shut it off. A shorter depress and release will lower it one heat setting. Now you could click one time to lower for each of the 3 settings, when driving I find it easier just to depress and hold.

Last edited:

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Do you guys hear a fan noise when turning the heated seat on as well? I never had this in another car. I tested it with the passenger seat and it's not as loud as the cooling seat being on, but still audible.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Do you guys hear a fan noise when turning the heated seat on as well? I never had this in another car. I tested it with the passenger seat and it's not as loud as the cooling seat being on, but still audible.
Yes. With mine, I turn the PASSENGER heated seat on (any setting) and the fan within the seat will start.

I turn the DRIVER heated seat on (any setting) and the fan will not start.

The fan will run in both seats on cooling mode just fine.

So there is something wonky going on with my passenger heated seat mode.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Yes. With mine, I turn the PASSENGER heated seat on (any setting) and the fan within the seat will start.

I turn the DRIVER heated seat on (any setting) and the fan will not start.

The fan will run in both seats on cooling mode just fine.

So there is something wonky going on with my passenger heated seat mode.
The heated seat option involes heating elements within the seat, similar to an electric blanket. No fan involved. The cooling option blows air conditioned air through the seats, requiring the fan.

Last edited:

Pr0metheuz

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
The heated seat option involes heating elements within the seat, similar to an electric blanket. No fan involved. The cooling option blows air conditioned air through the seats, requiring the fan.
Then mine is definitely defective. Will have the dealership check it out next visit. Funny I'm not the only one with this issue.

lt2211

Sustaining Member
Rockton, Illinois 61072
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80
Then mine is definitely defective. Will have the dealership check it out next visit. Funny I'm not the only one with this issue.
My G80, the seat fan only comes on when the seat ventilation/cooling is selected. Note the fan icon is not on the heat button, only the seat cooling button.

the.tru.albertan

Getting familiar with the group...
Genesis Model Type
My G80, the seat fan only comes on when the seat ventilation/cooling is selected. Note the fan icon is not on the heat button, only the seat cooling button.
Yes, but as I said, the fan is running on my passenger seat with the heated mode on. It isn't supposed to. But it is.

Cooling mode works fine.

Mr. Incredible

SUSTAINING MEMBER
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80 Sport
Yes, but as I said, the fan is running on my passenger seat with the heated mode on. It isn't supposed to. But it is.

Cooling mode works fine.
Possible short in the switch causing it to activate both modes. I’d have the dealer check it. That’s what warranties are for.

pcmaher

Genesis Model Type
Hello fellow members. I found this thread as a result of searching for info on the seat heaters. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with my driver's seat heater. I feel the back warm up, but the sit area doesn't seem to warm up nearly as much. I'm going to try the passenger seat as well as the back seats to compare.

EdP

Supporting Member
SUPPORTING MEMBER
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Parrish, FL
Genesis Model Type
Genesis G80