Second check engine light in the last 6 months

Mladen5375

Registered Member
Hello guys,
Having little issues here with my 2015 Genesis Ultimate. At about 6k miles, I was on the highway heading back home from vacation and my check engine light was first flashing for about a minute or two and then went steady. Got home, unplugged the battery for about 10 minutes, plugged it back in and check engine light was off and all was well. This morning, heading to work, (14k miles currently on car) same thing happened. I googled the flashing check engine light and I am finding out that its a cylinder misfire. Getting kind of frustrating having this kind of issue. I called Hyundai and they are getting me in a few days. Has anybody else experienced this before? Is it safe to drive home today and to work tomorrow? This is my only way of transportation until I get my car into the shop and they will provide me a loaner.

Last edited:

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
Without the actual code from the CEL it's hard to determine what may be the problem(s). A cylinder misfire is only 1 of myriad reasons for a CEL; small things like a loose gas cap and questionable load of fuel can also cause these. Disconnecting the battery may turn the light off but the info remains in the memory. Have the codes read by any place like Autozone, NAPA etc. or buy a Bluetooth code reader (ELM327) for $10 and scan it yourself.
BTW 14K miles seems like a long drive to work :)

Mladen5375

Registered Member
My buddy at work luckily had a OBD reader. Plugged it in and got 3 codes.
P0300-Misfire
P0302- Cylinder 2 misfire
P0305- Cylinder 5 misfire
This is just ridiculous. This is a lease and honestly I was thinking about keeping it after the lease is up but this kind of issue this early is not good

- - - Updated - - -

Without the actual code from the CEL it's hard to determine what may be the problem(s). A cylinder misfire is only 1 of myriad reasons for a CEL; small things like a loose gas cap and questionable load of fuel can also cause these. Disconnecting the battery may turn the light off but the info remains in the memory. Have the codes read by any place like Autozone, NAPA etc. or buy a Bluetooth code reader (ELM327) for $10 and scan it yourself.
BTW 14K miles seems like a long drive to work :)
Thanks for the recommendation and I did edit my original post lol

dougmcp

Been here awhile...
Plumas Lake, CALIFORNIA
Genesis Model Type
1G Genesis Sedan (2009-2014)
My buddy at work luckily had a OBD reader. Plugged it in and got 3 codes.
P0300-Misfire
P0302- Cylinder 2 misfire
P0305- Cylinder 5 misfire
If these are constant the engine should be idling rough, if not then it's an intermittent issue and more difficult to detect and repair.
It could be a problem with the eco mode and light throttle pressure or even a faulty spark plug, bad coil, bad injector, or an air leak.
If it's not running rough and the CEL stays off, driving it until you can get it checked out shouldn't be a problem.
Hopefully the dealer can locate and fix this for you on your next service date.

Mladen5375

Registered Member
If these are constant the engine should be idling rough, if not then it's an intermittent issue and more difficult to detect and repair.
It could be a problem with the eco mode and light throttle pressure or even a faulty spark plug, bad coil, bad injector, or an air leak.
If it's not running rough and the CEL stays off, driving it until you can get it checked out shouldn't be a problem.
Hopefully the dealer can locate and fix this for you on your next service date.
Great, thank you for the detailed response. The car runs and drives fine, I am not experiencing any issue, which is odd. I am taking my car in tomorrow and hopefully they can fix this issue and not just reset my ECU and say they fixed it.

cane2025

Registered Member
i had the same issue. Took the car in and i cant remember what they changed. Once i drove home the light came back on. what ever part they had to change, they had to change two of them because the engine carries two. left and right. that's all i remember. Haven't had an issue since.

Seejay

Registered Member
Houston
i had the same issue. Took the car in and i cant remember what they changed. Once i drove home the light came back on. what ever part they had to change, they had to change two of them because the engine carries two. left and right. that's all i remember. Haven't had an issue since.
Sounds like the coil pack (direct ignition). A V engine usually has two.

Mladen5375

Registered Member
UPDATE:

Check Engine showed up Wednesday morning 3/22 scheduled an appointment for Friday 3/24 after I got off work as the service department was open until 8PM . Friday finally came around, I went into work with the check engine light still on, car was running perfectly fine, got out of work, started my car and NO CEHCK ENGINE LIGHT on my dash...? What in the world is going on? I use Shell fuel, as it is the recommended fuel for this vehicle. Called Bill (Hyundai Service Manager) and he told me no need to come in, keep driving it and if it happens again, call ASAP and we will tow it to that dealership. Again, this is very odd as this is the second time this has happened to me in the last 6 months. Thanks to all for the replies

AustinTX

Registered Member
Austin, TX
UPDATE:

Check Engine showed up Wednesday morning 3/22 scheduled an appointment for Friday 3/24 after I got off work as the service department was open until 8PM . Friday finally came around, I went into work with the check engine light still on, car was running perfectly fine, got out of work, started my car and NO CEHCK ENGINE LIGHT on my dash...? What in the world is going on? I use Shell fuel, as it is the recommended fuel for this vehicle. Called Bill (Hyundai Service Manager) and he told me no need to come in, keep driving it and if it happens again, call ASAP and we will tow it to that dealership. Again, this is very odd as this is the second time this has happened to me in the last 6 months. Thanks to all for the replies
Two comments on that:

1. The error codes are stored in memory, so even when the check engine light (CEL) is off the service department should still be able to read the error code that caused the CEL to come on in the first place.
2. You can get a cheap ODBII scanner/reader - it will show you the codes the service department sees - without the need to drive there and have them hook up their equipment.

Background on ODB-II:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On-board_diagnostics
http://www.obdii.com/

There are dozens of different scanners available, from ones that connect to your cell phones (via WiFi or Bluetooth) to full fledged rugged tablets with all kinds of fancy features. A simple tool with be sufficient for your purposes, less than $20 for a simple device.

Some auto shops (for instance Pep Boys https://www.pepboys.com/service/my_check_engine_light_is_on/, also provide a free scanning service if you have a CEL on. Just drive there and they say they will scan for you.

Amazon offers dozens of different OBD-II scanning tools" https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=odbii+reader&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aodbii+reader

V8freak

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
2G Genesis Sedan (2015-2016)
Hey guys just curious if you figured out what went bad for sure? My dealer cant seem to figure out my cars problem (2015 5.0) and the symptoms sound alot the same!