• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "2009 Genesis" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 2009 Genesis Sedan" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

"Service engine immediately" when I brake?

pgsilva

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Driving on the highway last night, every time I hit the brakes to slow for an interchange, traffic, etc. the message “Service engine immediately. Vehicle speed limited due to malfunction” appears on the dash, and only while braking. Foot off and the message goes away. Funny thing is, I was doing 70 mph or so, so the speed wasn’t being limited in any way at all. It’s not like the car was in a limp mode. It’s a 2015 Equus Signature. The car ran fine, no check engine light, no noises, no problems braking, happened with both cruise control on and off, happened even if there was no traffic in front or around me. It also happened intermittently under 40 mph once I got off the highway.

Any ideas?

pgsilva

Registered Member
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Thanks for your reply, the silence to this question was deafening.

Interesting, the connection isn't obvious, but I'll check tomorrow. Any reason why the oil level would cause this?

CubSmurf

Hasn't posted much yet...
TX
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)
Thanks for your reply, the silence to this question was deafening.

Interesting, the connection isn't obvious, but I'll check tomorrow. Any reason why the oil level would cause this?
Don't take the silence personally, I just don't think there are many active Equus owners here. I haven't found many Equus owners anywhere, honestly. That is why I am documenting my suspension issues here so that future owners will have some idea of what to expect.

My **guess** on the oil level thing is perhaps there is an internal oil level sensor and when you brake hard the oil all moves forward and the sensor is tripped due to low levels. I'd guess it's to prevent catastrophic engine failure in case of a major oil leak.

G-817018

Sounds reasonable. Thanks. I’ll check.

I actually posted this elsewhere and haven’t seen any suggestions there either.

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)

DSXMachina

Just passing through.
SUPPORTING MEMBER
Nashua NH
Genesis Model Type
Equus (2011-2016)